World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoosier Titan

I've heard some bad reports about Anelka's work ethic, at least at different times in the past.  Maybe he's decided that Bolton isn't where he wants to play out his career.
You'll never walk alone.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Hoosier Titan on January 17, 2008, 04:43:45 PM
I've heard some bad reports about Anelka's work ethic, at least at different times in the past.  Maybe he's decided that Bolton isn't where he wants to play out his career.
I really thought  that maybe he was happy at Bolton when he turned down the chance to return to Arsenal.  From what I've read though, was that he just wanted to get back to a top flight club competing for a Premiership title and also  in the Champs League.

As for his bad rap, I think he's going to have a hard time shaking that one off.  He's trying to claim that he's not that sort of player portrayed by the media and most fans and that he is the victim of getting a bad rap.  I guess he has the perfect opportunity to prove that he's not the spoiled player most seem to think he is if indeed he accepts a more secondary role among all of the stars at Chelsea.

Hoosier Titan

Quote from: ScotsFan on January 18, 2008, 09:29:11 AM
I really thought  that maybe he was happy at Bolton when he turned down the chance to return to Arsenal....
As for his bad rap, I think he's going to have a hard time shaking that one off. 

I'm trying to think of where I read this and I think it must have been a newspaper story in England.  In January of '07 he said would be willing to return to Arsenal because he it's closer to home (France) than London.  A love of home is good, and most players would rather be at Arsenal than Bolton ;), but most players wouldn't put a shorter commute at the top of their publicly-stated priorities.

Quote from: ScotsFan on January 18, 2008, 09:29:11 AM
  I guess he has the perfect opportunity to prove that he's not the spoiled player most seem to think he is if indeed he accepts a more secondary role among all of the stars at Chelsea.

Yes, indeed.  I was thinking that before I got to that sentence in your post.   I've seen him make some beautiful moves, and he seems to get a warm welcome at Anfield, which suggests that he's still respected around the EPL.   I think he can still make a big contribution if he wants to.
You'll never walk alone.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I guess I don't get that sentence.  You said he'd like to go to Arsenal because it's closer to home than London.  Isn't Arsenal in a northern suburb of London?  Maybe I'm reading that wrong.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Hoosier Titan

Oops.  Gee, why didn't you read what I meant instead of what I wrote?  ;)  My fingers were faster than my brain, something that happens all too frequently.

I meant he'd rather be at Arsenal than Bolton.  And yes, the new Emirates stadium is in north London--about five minutes out of King's Cross station along the train track on the route north to York, Newcastle, and Scotland.  It looks like an absolutely gorgeous facility.
You'll never walk alone.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

sac

Liverpool = the draw Kings.

Drew today with Aston Villas, thats #10 in 23 league games, on pace for 17.

Only team thats in their territory is Fulham with 9, and they're getting relegated.

Hoosier Titan

Things are indeed a mess in Liverpool--worse off the pitch than on, and on is bad enough.

Here's the latest from the BBC:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/7200492.stm

The new owners seem to have let down the team all around.  They are trying to refinance a loan to pay off another loan they took out to buy the team in the first place.  There was the public spat with Benitez when he wanted to buy another defender--and heaven knows they need defenders--and then letting it be known they'd talked with Klinsmann "in case Benitez left." 

An investment arm of the Dubai government is trying again to put together a buyout.  I was hopeful that Gillett and Hicks were in this for the long haul, but they're dragging down a side with a great history and a lot of pride. 
You'll never walk alone.

joepieters

It is a horrible shame to see these tremendous clubs being hijacked by billionaires that have positively no concept of or concern for what these clubs mean to the supporters that follow them.

Birmingham signed Maruo Zarate on loan from the club he was playing for in Qatar.  I watched the kid play for Argentina in the U-20s in Canada last year.  He has extraordinary skills.

IMHO, he was better than the Barca starlet Gio Dos Santos.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Spurs knocking Arsenal out of the Carling right now.  They're on a terrific run.

joepieters

I am simply refusing to acknolwedge that that Carling Cup match was played last night.......never happened.

Anyone else see that Eddie Johnson signed w/ Fulham FC.  Yet another American signing on w/ the Cottagers.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Joe Wally on January 23, 2008, 04:40:14 PM
Anyone else see that Eddie Johnson signed w/ Fulham FC.  Yet another American signing on w/ the Cottagers.

If only people in the US knew what Fulham was, they might have a solid marketing strategy.

ScotsFan

Unless Johnson can help Fulham string together some results, people in the US will really have a hard time knowing what Fulham is after they are relegated. :-\

joepieters

I've got to say that of all the elements of the game that have interested me in English Club football, the concept of relegation and promotion is among the highest on the list.

Just for purposes of spurring the conversation, I have to say that the spirit of the commentating, and the quality of the commentating are the two other elements not occuring on the pitch, that truly make English football a special game, IMHO

sac

I've always liked how close the fans are to the fields in England, and of course how much more active they seem to be.

The TV camera angles also seem to be much closer to the action than in other leagues I've seen........and the announcing is of course in English, which makes it better for me. ;D

Don't the English announcers also use "oldschool" microphones, I think it gives the broadcasts an older flavor.