BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Just_Some_Guy

UT Tyler took 2 games from Sul Ross State by scores of 5-1 and 9-1.

First Game:
Campbell picked up his 2nd win for the Patriots going 7 innings, 6 hits, 0 ER.
RF Andrew Damewood was 3-5 w/ a HR, 2 RBI
CF Chris Goss was 2-2, w/ 2 BBs

Second Game:
Holland got the win throwing 7 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 14Ks
SS Fox (1 run, 1 RBI), DH Harding (HR, 2 RBI) and 3B Towns (2 runs) were all 2-3

La Verne took 2 games from Texas Lutheran by socres of 4-3 and 14-6.

Bulldogs only had 4 hits in the first game.

In the second game PH/2B Miller was 2-2 with a 2B, and C Siniff was 1-3, w/ 2 RBIs

The teams combined for 11 errors in the two games.

JSG

Ralph Turner

TLU was swept again.  This time, it was Redlands.

It looks like TLU is looking for pitching.  In the twin double-headers this weekend, we saw several pitchers for the Bulldogs.

They lost 14-0 in the first game.

They lost 18-10 in the second.

Now TLU does not have a four-game weekend in the rest of the season, but it looks like that TLU is more vulnerable than last season.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 16, 2008, 09:16:57 PM
TLU was swept again.  This time, it was Redlands.

It looks like TLU is looking for pitching.  In the twin double-headers this weekend, we saw several pitchers for the Bulldogs.

They lost 14-0 in the first game.

They lost 18-10 in the second.

Now TLU does not have a four-game weekend in the rest of the season, but it looks like that TLU is more vulnerable than last season.

I would say that without a doubt they're more vulnerable than last season, but I think that was inevitable (particularly early on) with the guys they lost.

When you lose an middle infield that hit .422 with 56 RBIs and .374 respectively (they also played great defense), in addition to losing two senior starters who went 15-1 last year and 26-8 in their careers on the bump you're losing a lot of talent and leadership.

Now with that said, there's no reason to push the panic button yet. The structure of the ASC is such that they won't need as much pitching as they did this weekend, albiet it still has to improve throughout the course of the season to compete atop the ASC.

With Logan Hull anchoring the front of that rotation they'll usually have a chance to win that game. While his ERA his his (5.00), he's been competitive giving up less hits than IP (opponents are hitting .242 against him).

Brad Wesson has also been solid out of the pen. It will be interesting to see who will emerge as the other rotation guys come ASC play.

What I like is that ALOT of guys are getting a chance to play ball early and if they can find the right mix of guys, create a competitive environment that pushes guys to excel in order to play, come conference play they'll be in the mix.

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

UT Tyler cancelled their game against Sul Ross, but added Jarvis Christian for Saturday.

Louisiana College cancelled their 3 game set with La Grange.

Schreiner/Southwestern pushed their DH to Sunday.

CUA and Trinity are supposed to play a DH tomorrow, and one Monday -- I believe.

JSG

Ralph Turner

JSG, That strategy worked for Coach Iwasaki at Austin College last season.

He finally found a pitching staff by the time of the SCAC Tourney.

I think that McMurry will have mid-50's weather tomorrow.  The Abilene forecast tonight is for a high temperature of 57 with winds 20-30 MPH out of the WNW!!!!

Can we say Wrigley Field South?!?

Spence

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 12, 2008, 01:49:02 PM
Quote from: Mack09 on February 12, 2008, 12:31:28 PM

Also i noticed McMurry made a ton of errors in the Chapman series.  Did anyone get to see that series? 

I saw a little of the DH on Saturday. Chapman's bullpen is going to be in trouble if their starters cannot get deep in games. Yacko will never hold up if he has to throw 2-3 innings every game to close the door.

Why the hell not? They only play 3 games a week. It's not like up north.

Just_Some_Guy

George Fox 18 - McMurry 2

George Fox 13 - McMurry 10

Obviously Coach Driggers was listening to me because he moved Franco to the two slot, unfortunately to no avail.

Yurchick was pretty solid in his return.

I've been surprised at how much Johnston has struggled, and Kyle Martin (who is essential to that bullpen -- McM's weakness the last couple of years). We'll see how Toombs throws against GFU tomorrow.

The West is beginning to look more and more like a toss up this year with McM and TLU struggling out of the gate (granted they've had tough schedules). CUA and UMHB seem to be playing pretty decent baseball. I'm still not sold on Hardin-Simmons and they haven't played anyone that's super indicative of what we can expect from them yet.

JSG

Mack09

McMurry defeated eorge Fox 14-6 today.  Franco hit two homeruns. McM improves to 2-4.

Tyler is 5-0 and Dallas is 3-0.

TLU is struggling early at 2-5.  It's going to be tough to repeat unless they start pitching and hitting a little bit.  My guess is they just haven't found a rythm yet by playing on the road so much early.  But who knows?  Their numbers don't look pretty.

Ralph Turner

But you can never count out a Coach Steve Coleman team....

If McMurry can find some pitching, then we know they can handle the ASC-West.

What I took from the McMurry games against Chapman and George Fox is that McMurry loses in the Consolation Round of the West Region playoffs at this point.  Maybe even two and out.

Chapman disposed of Cal Lutheran this weekend.  (I wish that we had won that series!   :-\)

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: Mack09 on February 18, 2008, 07:22:27 PM
McMurry defeated eorge Fox 14-6 today.  Franco hit two homeruns. McM improves to 2-4.

Tyler is 5-0 and Dallas is 3-0.

TLU is struggling early at 2-5.  It's going to be tough to repeat unless they start pitching and hitting a little bit.  My guess is they just haven't found a rythm yet by playing on the road so much early.  But who knows?  Their numbers don't look pretty.

Couple of things.

1.)  McMurry can swing it, we knew that was the case before the season started. Both catchers are swinging it well. I'm not convinced Love or Morris are very good hitters though.

Ideal Offensive lineup for them might be: Yurchick (ss), Franco (2b), David (of), Vorhees (1b), Jackson (DH), Beckham (c), Derrick (3b) Whitten (of), Jones (of). This gets both catchers bats in the game, and takes David out of the INF where he's made entirely too many errors thus far this season. Probably not the most conducive lineup for defense, but wow would this one score some runs. There are very few D3 lineups where you can't take any hitters off.

2.) If McM wants to continue using Vorhees in the rotation and Curry coming out of the pen (this might've had to do with his suspension) this could work. That said, I suspect we'll see Curry as a starter and maybe Vorhees at the backend with Martin ?

Toombs coming and and proving himself as a rotation guy against Chapman and George Fox is huge for this pitching staff.

3.) UT Dallas seems to have filled some of the voids left by losing 7 very good offensive players from the previous year. The question for them might be how these guys match up against better pitching (they haven't seen much yet), and how their own team pitches. It seems Mark Cox has pitched 2 of their first 3 games. I mean the fact that he started and threw 4 innings on Wednesday and game back for a complete 7 on Sunday shows they're reluctant to use that staff. Maybe TR Dinwiddie will be a key cog.

4.) UTD and UTT really haven't played any significantly challenging teams yet, while both McM and TLU have played really tough non-conference schedules. TLU's were all on the road, and they're a young team. Are McM and TLU better teams than UTD and UTT? You couldn't get me to say that, but until we've witnessed a more complete body of work it's hard to start drawing conclusions.

JSG

Just_Some_Guy

Concordia 6 4 2
Trinity       4 9 2

WP: Stephen Szkotak 6 IP, 6 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 2 K
LP: Michael Hunter  3 IP, 4 H, 6 ER, 4 BB, 3 K
S: Matt Aubry

Poffenroth pitched great in relief giving up 0 hits, 4 BBs, 5 Ks.
Both Hunter and Poffenroth a little trouble with control.

For Trinity:
SS Stosh Hoover was 1-2 w/ 1 run, 2 BBs
1B Jordan Pennington was 2-4 w/ 1 run, 2 2Bs, 1 RBI
3B Dominick Robusto was 2-3 w/ 1 BB, 1 run, 1 RBI

For Concordia:
SS Bryan Jacobs was 1-2, w/ 2 BBs, 2 runs
CF Patrick Mercer 2-5 w/ 1 run, 4 RBIs, 1 3B
LF Tom Williams had 5 BBs

Great series win for Concordia.

Trinity started 5 freshman, 4 from Cali and 1 from British Columbia.

JSG

BigPoppa

With the season two weeks into the long run, which teams are surprising you or disappointing you? I am a bit surprised by TLU and their struggles while Texas-Tyler is right where I thought they would be.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Spence

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 21, 2008, 02:40:04 PM
With the season two weeks into the long run, which teams are surprising you or disappointing you? I am a bit surprised by TLU and their struggles while Texas-Tyler is right where I thought they would be.

Haven't seen it mentioned but Mary Hardin-Baylor is undefeated at 5-0.

indian4life

Quote from: Spence on February 21, 2008, 08:32:46 PM

Because 3 of their 5 wins were against teams that a 5A high school team could compete with the other two coming against a declining program in Texas Weslyan and Trinity who is always a challenge an this would be their only quality win.

Just_Some_Guy

While I tend to agree that their schedule has been relatively soft thus far, and that's partially the reason for their 5-0 start (hey, Schreiner started like 8-1 last year), UMHB is actually a team on the rise.  They were a playoff team last year and have consistently become a better program over the last 3-4 years.

Villegas is the real deal and I'm still laughing at the fact the ASC coaches/SIDs voted Colton Hermes freshman of the year over him.

Offensively the top of that order is very solid, and they'll run and put pressure on a defense as well.

It will come down to pitching for them. Garza is really solid and if Tumlinson, Montoya and others continue throwing well they'll be a tough team to beat.

Honestly, I'm not really surprised with anyone's start so far. Did I think TLU would be 2-5, no probably not, but I figured probably 4-3 at the best. They've played 3 tough teams all on the road, including 4 out west with a thin pitching staff.

They have to improve in facets of the game, but they're a really young team.

McMurry's had a tough schedule, CUA has also had a relatively tough schedule despite the fact that the TWU and the HBU games don't count for anything in the regional rankings.

I'm not forgetting Coleman's Cowboys either, but they haven't played anyone I'm familiar enough with to get a good read on them yet. I know they have pretty decent arms and Blake Stepp. We'll see if those Tomball freshman can keep swinging hot sticks.

JSG