BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HAMBONE

Quote from: infielddad on March 10, 2008, 08:07:25 PM
I follow all of them, but our son graduated from Trinity, so I follow them the most!!
Since we live in CA, I also try and see all the  teams whenever they come to Northern CA , along with seeing Cal State East Bay along the way.

if your son graduated in '04 im sure myself and Bman3 played against him.  i graduated in '04 and Bman3 in '03.  Was your son apart of the 2002 squad we played in the regional championship game @ southwestern?  I hope you enjoyed watching the CTX vs TLU game @ Keller-Fascholz Field as it will be torn down before the end of the season.  what a tragedy.  

indian4life

Quote from: Bman3 on March 10, 2008, 08:41:47 PM
i love what JSG is doing as i stated in an earlier post. i just dont know how he does it so quickly and so thoroughly.
i wish CTX got to play Trinity and Southwestern more often. What Conference are they in?

They are in the SCAC I believe with Rohdes Milsaps Autsin College and im not sure who else

indian4life

Quote from: indian4life on March 10, 2008, 08:50:20 PM
Quote from: Bman3 on March 10, 2008, 08:41:47 PM
i love what JSG is doing as i stated in an earlier post. i just dont know how he does it so quickly and so thoroughly.
i wish CTX got to play Trinity and Southwestern more often. What Conference are they in?

They are in the SCAC I believe with Rohdes Milsaps Autsin College and im not sure who else

Hendrix also

Bman3

infielddad is your last name armstrong?

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: HAMBONE on March 10, 2008, 07:32:38 PM
Bman3 it looks like there is a pitcher from Ozarks that might give your strikeout records a run for your money...you had 14 twice in 2 different 9 inning complete game performances...Curt Dixon had 14 in 5.2 innings!  Damn Gina.  It was probably against the Arkansas School for the Blind though, he cant hold your jock strap!

HAMBONE

I think Scott's career strikeout records are pretty safe from most of the guys in the ASC at this point. Dixon's a senior for Ozarks and is pretty far back.

You really either have to pitch a solid amount all 4 years, or have 3 years where you're essentially at the top of your game and be a prominent strikeout pitcher.

I don't think CUA's J. Miller was ready to embrace that role until the latter part of his career, but you have to be built from that mold to get there.

TLU's Kyle Newman needed something like 5 wins to dethrone Chema Chavez's ASC wins record and 50Ks (he'd exceeded that his first 3 years) to get Scott's career strikeout tally, but he imploded last year.

I can't find archived stats on UMHB, but Jr. R.B. Garza had 60 K's last year, will probably eclipse that again this year, but I have no clue what he put up his freshman year. Brett Holland is a K - stud for Tyler, but threw 3 innings his freshman year.

Glad to see both of you blowing up the boards.

JSG

Bman3

i think if you put trinity or southwestern in the ASC, they would be just an average team fighting for the last playoff spot. JSG, does either team have any stand out players and how do you think they would do in the ASC.

Bman3

infielddad

Quote from: Bman3 on March 10, 2008, 08:59:11 PM
infielddad is your last name armstrong?

Yes, you played against our son Jason.
Good games for all 4 years and a couple of good battles in Georgetown in 2002.

HAMBONE

Quote from: indian4life on March 10, 2008, 08:41:33 PM
McMurry beats UT Tyler in a hard fought game 11-8

Looks like the UT Tyler club is beatable...given the fact that they only played a double header against Austin College last weekend and McMurry played a 3 game series against HSU on sat and sunday, it proves that UT-Tyler is not only beatable but also proves the Indians may have a 4th starter now giving their rotation the support they will need in the conference tournament and regional...provided they make it out of the ASC West.  

FYI their other loss was to CTX...they arent that good.  I respect their ability but I am hoping they fall into a funk this weekend they cant get out of...

mcm505

Hambone,

I am just glad to see your still alive.  Its been too long.  Just don't let D White cry too much about losing his record.  Hopefully my indians can give you all a run for your money.  How is Thielapape (can't ever spell the kids name) playing?

HAMBONE

If you want some action, cut and paste Bman3's post on Tx DIII's not getting enough respect in the National section.
Wait some and either later tonight or tomorrow morning, Spence with have the pot bubbling at a scalding level.
[/quote]

i cut and pasted Bman3's post in the national section...its getting a little action.  thanks for the idea.  

infielddad

Quote from: Bman3 on March 10, 2008, 09:07:09 PM
i think if you put trinity or southwestern in the ASC, they would be just an average team fighting for the last playoff spot. JSG, does either team have any stand out players and how do you think they would do in the ASC.

Bman,
The ASC isn't the big 12. 
Other than last year, Trinity has had as much talent as any  ASC team on a year to year basis since 2001. If Coach Meccage had not passed away during the 2002 Regional, that Saturday morning game could have ended up 5-2 Trinity instead of CTX.  But he did and our guys were in no position to play.  CTX played very well the entire 2002 Regional and deserved it's crown.
With Coach Mallon's departure, Southwestern hasn't been at the same level.  That guy got the very, very best out of every player.

Just_Some_Guy

Quote from: indian4life on March 10, 2008, 08:41:33 PM
McMurry beats UT Tyler in a hard fought game 11-8

McMurry vs. UT Tyler Box Score

VERY quality win for McMurry. Munchrath had been very solid for Tyler, but had pitched primarily out of the bullpen.  With only 5 guys throwing the majority of the innings for Tyler this might have been an inevitable conclusion considering most of their mid-week games have been against less talented opponents.

Smith wasn't fantastic, but was good enough for a win, and that's what matters. I doubt he pitched well enough to increase his innings on the weekend all that much though.

It should be noted McMurry won this game without Franco, who is leading the team in AVG, HR, SLG, and OBP.

This illustrates to me that they're the team the rest of the teams in the West need to try and catch. They have the best rotation in the West. The top-middle of their order is ridiculous. They're not playing very good defense either.

For Tyler:
Kendall Fox was 2-4 w/ 2 RBI
Clay Baker was 3-5
Chad Deleidan was 3-5 w/ 2 runs, a HR, and 3 RBI

For McMurry:
George Whitten was 3-5 w/ 4 runs
Derek David was 5-5 w/ 3 runs, a HR, and 2 RBI
Brent Vorhees was 2-4 w/ 1 run, a HR, and 5 RBI
Gerad Morris was 3-4

JSG

mcm505

I coached with Coach Mallon and there was a reason he got the most out of every player:  If they did not play their best they wouldn't be on the field.  I was really disappointed to see him retire, but he can still coach a game, just watch the Georgetown Summer League team's that he still coaches.

infielddad

mcm,
Coach Mallon was a favorite of mine and a great coach.
I got to know him over the 4 years we made trips.  Talked to him a lot during the SCAC tournaments and shared a lot of stories about his days with the Giants.
He  was wonderfully supportive of our son, more than competitive before that, especially in 2004 with the draft and some player of the year efforts.
If you see him, please tell him the Armstrongs and Jason said to say "hello."