BB: ASC: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, December 29, 2005, 12:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Turner

JSG, you mentioned mediocrity in the pitching staffs.  The first weekend in the West saw every series going 2-1/1-2 except the 1-0 UMHB win over SRSU's Jaime Rojo.

The West has had a bunch of 3-0 sweeps over the bottom of the division.  In the previous seasons, the top would go 9-0 over the bottom of the division.  That may not be the case this year.

We may not have the pitching to win a couple of games in the Regionals, but the ASC-West will be wild!

Spence

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 11, 2008, 12:52:11 AM
JSG, you mentioned mediocrity in the pitching staffs.  The first weekend in the West saw every series going 2-1/1-2 except the 1-0 UMHB win over SRSU's Jaime Rojo.

The West has had a bunch of 3-0 sweeps over the bottom of the division.  In the previous seasons, the top would go 9-0 over the bottom of the division.  That may not be the case this year.

We may not have the pitching to win a couple of games in the Regionals, but the ASC-West will be wild!

Ralph, were you at the Marietta - Hardin-Simmons game?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Spence on March 11, 2008, 02:00:43 AM

No

Marietta 8 HSU 2

McMurry and HSU played their 3-game series Sat and Sun.

Spence

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 11, 2008, 02:03:35 AM

No

Marietta 8 HSU 2

Yah I listened to it...just wondered how it was for someone with eyeballs.

Tomorrow should be a very interesting day.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Spence on March 11, 2008, 02:07:11 AM
No
Marietta 8 HSU 2
HSU season stats.

Copeland spent three years, including a redshirt year, at Northwestern State (LA), D-I Southland Conference.

I don't know who McMurry ill throw vs. Marietta.

Bman3

i am glad to see marietta make their way down to us. we all know that they have been a powerhouse in the past, and it would be nice to see a couple ASC teams hand them some lossses. 

HAMBONE

Bman3 looks like your ASC conference record was just tied...After all records were meant to be broken.  But you did it twice, so i guess you still have the upper-hand.

here is the link to the ASC article about Curt Dixon's 14 strikeout performance...his pitch count must have been high as he only went 5 2/3 innings....

http://www.ascsports.org/News/baseball/2008/3/11/ASC_BB_NATIONAHONOR1.asp?path=baseball

Bman3

infielddad your son was a very good hitter and put up some ridiculous numbers! i am sure that i pitched and played against him, but i dont remember him in particular. if you look at the numbers, in 2002 Trinity had one of the best pitching staffs in the nation.

our hearts as individuals and as a team were out for coach meccage that morning. we could feel something was wrong as soon as the players got off the bus. i couldn't imagine playing after something like that happened and take my hat off to the players that did.

pamona pitza was suppose to be the big bad team in the regional, cortez and turner were legit hitters, however their pitching staff was not very good. we faced their #1 who was undefeated at the time and looked no better than an average #2.

hambone's quote earlier will sum this one up. we were not swept in a double header all year except for when we played The University of Texas.

Bman3

has the ozarks ever been this good? its good to see.

HAMBONE

Just FYI for those of you die hard ASC fans.  here is a link showing some not so recent news, but shows the sportsmanship that goes on outside the chalk lines.  UT-Tyler donated some money to the fund set up by Concordia Players to help the Garrett Williamson and his family.

http://www.ascsports.org/News/baseball/2008/2/23/ASC_UTTYLERDONATE.asp?path=baseball

JSG, this unfortunate accident to Garrett Williamson possibly takes CTX's missing piece of the puzzle.  Williamson (RHP) was a 2007 NAIA All-American and Transferred into Concordia to play his final season of college baseball and he definately would have had the oppurtunity to play some form of professional baseball...its unfortunate, but it is what it is.  Had he been in the rotation, we might have seen a sweep of Trinity, TLU, and 2 of 3 taken from UT-Tyler...what if, what if, what if .... but certainly noone deserves to go from all-american to a wheel chair...I tip my hat to the williamson family.

HAMBONE

Quote from: Bman3 on March 11, 2008, 12:51:03 PM
has the ozarks ever been this good? its good to see.

no.  its their highest ranking in program history.  good for them.  the east looks as though its becoming pretty tough to get out of.  It only take 1 good pitcher to shut down a team like UT-Tyler in the 1st round of the asc tourney and put their backs against the wall. 

LC, MC, UO, UTT, and UTD  makes this a 10 team race for 8 spots.  this is interesting and only 1 will get an automatic birth to the Regional @ MCM...GO BIG BLUE

Spence

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 11, 2008, 08:50:59 AM
Quote from: Spence on March 11, 2008, 02:07:11 AM
No
Marietta 8 HSU 2
HSU season stats.

Copeland spent three years, including a redshirt year, at Northwestern State (LA), D-I Southland Conference.

I don't know who McMurry ill throw vs. Marietta.

Copeland certainly seemed like he had things in control until the 7th. Maybe stayed with him a little too long considering how little he's thrown.

HAMBONE

Quote from: Bman3 on March 11, 2008, 12:48:11 PM
infielddad your son was a very good hitter and put up some ridiculous numbers! i am sure that i pitched and played against him, but i dont remember him in particular. if you look at the numbers, in 2002 Trinity had one of the best pitching staffs in the nation.

our hearts as individuals and as a team were out for coach meccage that morning. we could feel something was wrong as soon as the players got off the bus. i couldn't imagine playing after something like that happened and take my hat off to the players that did.

pamona pitza was suppose to be the big bad team in the regional, cortez and turner were legit hitters, however their pitching staff was not very good. we faced their #1 who was undefeated at the time and looked no better than an average #2.

hambone's quote earlier will sum this one up. we were not swept in a double header all year except for when we played The University of Texas.

his son is Jason Armstrong - West Region Player of the Year in 2004 and also first team all-american SS in 2004.  he was one hell of a player and fun to play against...very classy guy.  he always wore a fresh pair all white Franklin batting gloves....Bman3 remember those 390 inning scrimmages we used play agianst Trinity in the Fall with not substitution rules?  The only rule enforced was "dont get hurt"  haha those were some fun times

HAMBONE

[/quote]

Copeland certainly seemed like he had things in control until the 7th. Maybe stayed with him a little too long considering how little he's thrown.
[/quote]

I agree with that Spence.  Copeland should get the win for giving Marietta a victory.  2 things, HSU is coming off a tough series to MCM, and the sloppy/freezing weather in abilene cannot be helping anyone perform at the highest potential.

The_CRU_05

The CRU is going to disasseble that HSU lineup this weekend.  Glad to see they are playing 7 games before we come to town this weekend.  They may be at home but it wont be much of an advantage if all of there arms are being iced down. 

My prediction - The CRU sweeps HSU.