World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: NJrexSoccer03 on October 19, 2017, 08:42:23 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on October 18, 2017, 04:11:05 PM
I cannot find any of these Champions league matches on TV..Usually FS1 carries 1 game..You are correct about Paulinho he has come back to life bigtime at Barca

Mr. Right - There is usually a game on Fox Sports 2 (The Yankees game was the reason there wasn't one on FS1). The other games you can find on ESPN 3 (The WatchEspn App - sometimes these are in Spanish) and now they are doing one match Facebook Live style. I believe its on the FoxSports Champions League Facebook page. Usually one game gets snubbed but I think yesterday every game was on. This is how I try to watch at least 3 games at the same time. This same thing might hold true for Europa League as well but I don't get as involved with Europa League till the knockout rounds.

There is also a FoxSportsGo app, so if you are a Fox Sports subscriber on your cable system, you may have access to additional UCL games (not on FS1 or FS2) via the online app, your phone, or some streaming device (such as Roku).

Mr.Right

Quote from: NJrexSoccer03 on October 19, 2017, 08:42:23 AM
Quote from: Mr.Right on October 18, 2017, 04:11:05 PM
I cannot find any of these Champions league matches on TV..Usually FS1 carries 1 game..You are correct about Paulinho he has come back to life bigtime at Barca

Mr. Right - There is usually a game on Fox Sports 2 (The Yankees game was the reason there wasn't one on FS1). The other games you can find on ESPN 3 (The WatchEspn App - sometimes these are in Spanish) and now they are doing one match Facebook Live style. I believe its on the FoxSports Champions League Facebook page. Usually one game gets snubbed but I think yesterday every game was on. This is how I try to watch at least 3 games at the same time. This same thing might hold true for Europa League as well but I don't get as involved with Europa League till the knockout rounds.

Ok ... thanks for the info.

blooter442

Man Utd goes down to its first PL defeat of the season at Huddersfield Town.

Even as an anti-United person I did admire their strong start to the year, and think that Matic was an excellent signing that really strengthened the core of the team. That said, Lukaku does seem to have trouble shedding his reputation as a flat-track bully. Many of the goals he scores are rebounds and tap-ins which, while important for any striker, are harder to come by as you play better opposition. Aside from the cross for Rashford's goal, he was nowhere to be seen today, and blew his big chance against Liverpool, although to be fair I think the latter was a good save by Mignolet.

Anyway, will be interesting to see where Jose's team goes from here. City seems to have addressed its defensive issues through Pep, and now United will have tougher fixtures coming up -- their only game against last year's "top six" so far was last weekend's 0-0 draw with Liverpool. They're home to Tottenham next weekend and travel to Chelsea the week after, and I think that will give a more accurate indication of where they're at.

Mr.Right

I was watching Watford at Chelsea this morning but had to go out. I left the game and Watford was leading 2-1 and looked very good as much as Chelsea looked bad but to my surprise I just checked the score and Chelsea won 4-2. Something must have sparked them

Mr.Right

One of my favorite coaches Marcelo Bielsa looks to really be struggling at Lille in the French League as they are currently in the Drop Zone...He loves total control over a club and seemed to have been given it by management BUT he needs players and management looks like they were not going to give him the $$$ to spend..Stay Tuned...Usually when things head south Bielsa heads north and west right out of dodge...Quit Marsielle a couple years ago after 1 game

blooter442

Finally got around to watching a Liverpool game at the official LFC Boston pub, Phoenix Landing in Cambridge. A great atmosphere and 3/4 of a mile from my place — and a 3-0 LFC win! After a stop-start season thus far, a good one to watch, particularly as my first time going (I'd always wanted to go but heard you had to get there an hour before kickoff, not the case today).

truenorth

Blooter, I am a Liverpool fan and I'm very pleased to learn of Phoenix Landing.  My younger son lives in Boston and is a Man U fan (which is kind of like being a front running Yankees fan).  I live in Maine, but my intention is to visit him in Boston and insist he go with me to watch a Liverpool game and drink a couple pints at Phoenix Landing sometime...

blooter442

Quote from: truenorth on October 28, 2017, 05:07:16 PM
Blooter, I am a Liverpool fan and I'm very pleased to learn of Phoenix Landing.  My younger son lives in Boston and is a Man U fan (which is kind of like being a front running Yankees fan).  I live in Maine, but my intention is to visit him in Boston and insist he go with me to watch a Liverpool game and drink a couple pints at Phoenix Landing sometime...

Sounds like a good plan! There are a bunch of TVs there with a lot of games going on all at the same time, even some Bundesliga today, so there's something for everyone, although LFC is front and center. Either way, I can't imagine he'd turn down a pint on Dad's dime! ;)

truenorth

Agreed.  You can't turn down a pint on someone else's dime, even if it is your old man...

blooter442

Wow...Spurs up 3-0 over Real Madrid. Is Ronaldo even playing?

Elsewhere, Aguero scores his club record goal for Man City against Napoli, and Can just finished an absolute worldie for LFC after a class touch from Milner. A good set of Wednesday pick-me-up games.

blooter442

Well, I guess Ronaldo (quickly becoming the king of tap-ins) is playing, as he just scored to bring it back to 3-1. Still, stunning scoreline thus far.

lastguyoffthebench

Did Rowan train in Italy over spring break....

Outshot Sweden 23-4. 

Going home early

blooter442

Quote from: lastguyoffthebench on November 13, 2017, 05:18:38 PM
Did Rowan train in Italy over spring break....

Outshot Sweden 23-4. 

Going home early

Can't say I will miss them at the WC.

Mr.Right

That is just a massive disappointment. Italy missing the World Cup is 10 times worse than the US not qualifying. The Italians are so passionate about their futbol the whole country MUST be in mourning today. Not sure who beat them out in their qualifying group. The Dutch not even making a Playoff is also just a massive disappointment.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 13, 2017, 09:47:45 PM
That is just a massive disappointment. Italy missing the World Cup is 10 times worse than the US not qualifying. The Italians are so passionate about their futbol the whole country MUST be in mourning today. Not sure who beat them out in their qualifying group. The Dutch not even making a Playoff is also just a massive disappointment.

Italy ended up in the same qualifying group as Spain.  While it's no shame to finish second to Spain in a qualifying group, Italy may have been able to avoid such a harsh draw by being more selective in scheduling friendlies (i.e., picked some easier opponents) in order to have a higher Official World Ranking ("OWR") at the time the qualifying groups were drawn.  UEFA seeds teams for the draw based upon OWR, so a country can game the system a bit by racking up wins in friendlies and obtaining a higher OWR.  Unfortunately for Italy, their OWR was not high enough to get one of the #1 seeds prior to the qualifying draw.  Being a #2 seed, they were always at risk of ending up in the same qualifying group with Spain or Germany.