New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulNewman

Quote from: blooter442 on November 04, 2015, 09:26:10 PM
Quote from: NCAC New England on November 04, 2015, 09:23:04 PM
Agree that very strong possibility MIT will not win NEWMAC just as I thought TMC would not win their tourney.

Who would you say otherwise? I'd say best bet to knock them off would be Springfield. Can't see Wheaton or Babson doing it on this year's form, although neither would be an easy opponent in the finals.

Well, there will be at least 2 chances (2 games) for one of those very solid but not great teams to get a 1 goal lead and those can be tough to overcome in a playoff environment.  Look at this way.  MIT already by going undefeated in regular conference play has exceeded what anyone would have expected.  Now they are being asked to win 2 more.  That's a lot to ask.

blooter442

Quote from: NCAC New England on November 04, 2015, 09:32:16 PM
Well, there will be at least 2 chances (2 games) for one of those very solid but not great teams to get a 1 goal lead and those can be tough to overcome in a playoff environment.  Look at this way.  MIT already by going undefeated in regular conference play has exceeded what anyone would have expected.  Now they are being asked to win 2 more.  That's a lot to ask.

Very true. My guess is they will host the first two rounds of the tourney regardless given their national ranking and the fact that they're now #3 in NE. Think an MIT - Wheaton final would be a great spectacle. And Wheaton got the W the last time those two squared off in the NEWMAC final, and it was at MIT's place, so Cushing would be fired up if those were the last two.

blooter442

NCAC, you predicted that UR would come back to tie Carnegie 2-2, and then 24 hours later predicted that another match would finish 2-2 after being down 2-0. Then TMC happened this afternoon, and you had a hunch for that, and now this prediction. Is there something you'd like to tell us? ;)

PaulNewman

Quote from: blooter442 on November 04, 2015, 09:43:56 PM
NCAC, you predicted that UR would come back to tie Carnegie 2-2, and then 24 hours later predicted that another match would finish 2-2 after being down 2-0. Then TMC happened this afternoon, and you had a hunch for that, and now this prediction. Is there something you'd like to tell us? ;)

Now why would I disclose that  ;)?

Flying Weasel

Quote from: NEsoccerfan on November 04, 2015, 05:23:02 PM
I think i may have found an error in the regional rankings spreadsheet. It lists Brandeis' RVR at 5-2-1, but by my count they are 3-2-1.

I hope that the error is just in the spreadsheet and not one that resulted in the Judges leaping past Amherst (even though I am a former deis player and alum ;) I want them to have that number 1 spot fairly). Either way, I'm not reporting it to the committee. :)

The record versus ranked teams used by the committee to ranked the teams this week is based upon who was ranked last week.  How could they know a team's record versus teams ranked this week before they did this week's rankings?  They can't.  The record versus ranked teams used for the third rankings is based upon who was ranked in the second rankings.  So . . . Brandeis' RvR is correct at 5-2-1 for this week.  But they will lose the wins over Case and Emory for the all-important final unpublished rankings to be done Sunday which serve as the basis for the at-large selections.

lastguyoffthebench

SOS NE REGION (STUPID PDFs)...

637   Williams
623   Tufts
619   Brandeis
618   Wesleyan (CT)
604   Babson
585   Hamilton
582   Roger Williams
579   Middlebury
579   Wheaton (MA)
578   Coast Guard
575   MA-Boston
574   Plymouth St
573   Amherst
573   Trinity (CT)
567   Bowdoin
566   Connecticut
563   Colby
561   Keene St
561   Lasell
557   Bates
550   Salve Regina
549   WNEC
543   MIT
540   Rhode Island Col
529   Southern Maine
527   Wentworth
526   ECSU
526   Gordon
526   Western Conn St
523   WPI
520   Framingham St
517   Curry
517   U New England
515   Nichols
512   Clark (MA)
509   MA-Dartmouth
504   Endicott
502   Emmanuel (MA)
500   Emerson
499   Colby-Sawyer
499   Salem St
497   Bridgewater St
497   Suffolk
494   MCLA
491   Rivier
489   New Eng College
488   Johnson&Wales
484   Elms
483   Albertus Magnus
483   Castleton
477   Fitchburg St
476   Eastern Nazarene
476   Worcester St
471   Johnson St
471   Mass Maritime
471   Norwich
469   Lyndon St
467   Mitchell
463   Thomas (ME)
462   Springfield
461   Anna Maria
460   ME-Farmington
459   Westfield
457   Husson
455   Green Mountain
455   Lesley
455   Maine Maritime
447   Southern Vermont
442   Wheelock
439   Daniel Webster
432   Newbury
429   Mount Ida
420   Becker
418   Regis
416   St. Josephs (ME)
405   Pine Manor
371   ME-Presque Isle

Mr.Right

Just tuned into this Framingham St v Worcester St semi in the MASCAC. 15 minutes left and ref absolutely losing control of this heated battle. Cards flying, couple nasty tackles and almost a fight to boot. Plus no announcer and we get to hear the barbaric fans of each school. Game is heated for sure

Mr.Right

Ref just called a phantom PK for Framingham St to go up 1-0 with about 10 minutes left. Called that PK to get outta dodge after 90.

Mr.Right

Looks like MIT ends Springfield's season 1-0 with a goal with about 2 minutes left..I did not catch any of the game but would be curious how the game went if anyone saw it. MIT gets to the NEWMAC Final and some bubble teams can breathe a sigh of relief for now.

Mr.Right

Looks like Gordon snags a quick goal and leads Endicott 1-0 10 minutes in.

PaulNewman

MIT is the new Brandeis...clutch winning games late.

PaulNewman

Endicott in deep trouble.  Cole scores again 2-0.  Had to see this coming.

Correction:  think some freshman had both goals.

Mr.Right

Gordon beats Endicott 2-0 to get the AQ. Endicott a disappointing loss after such a great season. They will now most definitely get the #1 seed in the ECAC's. Their goal can be to win that tournament and keep progressing for next year. Bloots pointed out earlier that the same thing happened to Brandeis about 5 years ago and they went out and won the ECAC's and it was a spark for the Brandeis program and really helped them get to where they are today. Endicott needs to think that way also.

Mr.Right

Babson nursing a 1-0 lead over Wheaton MA with about 10 minutes remaining.

Ommadawn

Babson holds on and will face MIT in the NEWMAC final.