Best attendance

Started by diehardfan, March 09, 2004, 08:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diehardfan

Ack! Got so into the Wheaton IWU game that I used my 3000th post on the in-game updates board!  :-[

Here's 3001  :D
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

David Collinge

To celebrate this, the 2000th post of my long and rather undistinguished career, I thought I'd temporarily adopt my old moniker.   :)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

diehardfan

congrats david!  ;D

of course, you know, I'm still beating you by over 1000  :D
Wait, dunks are only worth two points?!?!!!? Why does anyone do them? - diehardfan
What are Parkers now supposed to chant after every NP vs WC game, "Let's go enjoy tobacco products off-campus? - Gregory Sager
We all read it, but we don't take anything you say seriously - Luke Kasten

RIP WheatonC

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm not sure if 2500 is a milestone or not, but I'll drop it here just in case (no one wants to end the posting day at 2499 anyway)

David Collinge

AndersDY

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 14, 2005, 07:34:47 PM
I would bet Hope is over the 3000 mark easily this year

Thus far it looks unlikely that Hope exceeds 3000, though the average for the year will certainly go up. In quickly scanning box scores to this point, opening night at 3200 and the Calvin game at just under 3500 are the only over 3000 games with a couple other figures right near the 3000 mark. Too many other games of 2600 or 2800 and down as low as 2400 will drag the average down though. Albion will likely bring another 3200ish number, but they close with some pretty 'meh' home games. My guess is the average will end up at 2800+ for the year.

The one chance to change that is if postseason games are allowed to count in the year's average. IF Hope gets to play at home in the MIAA tournament twice and host two games in the NCAAs, they might draw a few more games with crowds of 3200-3400 and could scrape over 3000 (probably unlikely they exceed that number by much no matter what happens though).
"You can say 'no,' and I can say 'yes,' and my word has THREE letters."

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

What's capacity at the new digs?

sac

Depends who you ask Hoops Fan.

3200 seems to be the nice round figure kicked around.  But there is plenty of room for standing room only.  3400+ is an easy guess as its real capacity.

Johnny Augie

Illinois Wesleyan travels around 1000 fans to some away games.  That would be pretty cool to play in front of on the road.

AndersDY

Quote from: Hoops Fan on February 01, 2006, 02:20:31 PM
What's capacity at the new digs?

The facts on the Hope website say "Designed to seat approximately 3,100 fans for an athletic event" but that seems a bit low. The Albion game just surpassed the record I assumed the Calvin game would maintain, so now the largest crowd crammed in was 3593. That might give an average of 3000 a fighting chance again, but it still could be hard to keep the numbers up for the remaining home games against the also-rans.

My guess is 3100 represents the permanent seating as the arena is a horseshoe, but with moveable bleachers which close off the open end. Those might hold 250-350 so that section plus the folding chairs on the concourse could account for a number like 3593 with only 3100 capacity.

Mr. Ypsi

To combine the Johnny Augie and andersdy posts -

Imagine the strain on seating capacity if an IWU @ Hope game were scheduled - the rioting by the 'blue-haired' Titan bus fans if they couldn't get tickets might be just unimaginable.  Holland cops beaten with walkers.  Hope students disinherited.  Hope burned to the ground by a mob of 80-year-olds.

And this is only the imagining if IWU won! ;) ;D :o

If IWU lost, it could get ugly.

AndersDY

Would love to see a Hope - IWU game, but it's 10 years late unfortunately. The '96 Hope and IWU teams need to play a time-machine matchup to settle the "True D3" National Championship for 1996. From what I saw it would have been a great game too, unfortunately it never was...

As to capacity, I don't think an early season CCIW-MIAA showcase matchup would really bring the Hope fans out in full force to cause issues. However, if the NCAAs happen to create a matchup where Hope could host IWU, I'm sure it would be trouble for the IWU visiting fans as Hope fans would certainly take all tickets except the minimum allotment required for the visiting team. And imagine if two other poor teams were hosted there that same weekend and the games weren't done with a clear-the-gym type setup... those other two visiting crowds would have it pretty rough.

sac

Worst case scenario is an IWU/Hope matchup on a neutral floor in the early game of the 1st round  in say.......UW-Stout.

Could happen and very wrong.

Andersdy, I think an IWU/Hope matchup would draw very well if it was given the right kind of "hype".  But it makes no sense from a competitive standpoint with the current in-region record emphasis.

Someday the 96' dream matchup will take place and both schools can bring out the alumns from those two great teams.