BB: SLIAC: St Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, February 11, 2006, 02:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

furbug

Mr. Ypsi,

My son was at IWU from 1978 - 1981, not too much after you. I went up there for a football game, maybe some other events. As I recall, they were not very good at that time.

furbug

furbug

Wash U. women moving on, beat Wisconsin Eau Claire 1-0 in 8 innings, another shutout by Sagartz.

saintsball24

Good showing by the Gorloks at IWU in the Central regional. Im sure most expected Webster to go 2 and out. Superb hitting and great use of the hit and runs and bunts I feel was there strengths.

This has to be huge for the Sliac. I am wondering if a team had ever won an NCAA baseball tourney game before this. Anyone know?? I really feel the Gorloks showed the SLIAC can be just as good as some of the bigger conferences.

Whats the SLIAC outlook for next season?? I think Webster loses some of there stars, but has lot coming back.. Im sure the powers will be Webster, Blackburn and Greenville, and Maryville has a lot back from the team that finished 4th.. so thats who i expect to be in the hunt next year. Fontbonne and Westmin can battle as well.

Rumor has MacMurray may not have sports next year. Any truth to this??

furbug

baseball07,

Nice comment on the Gorloks. I agree that they did a great job this year and beating IWU was huge. I cannot answer your question about whether or not a team has ever won an NCAA baseball tourney game before this. Probably someone out there knows that. The Gorloks did show that the SLIAC can be just as good as some of the bigger conferences. They played eventual tournament winner Carthage very well in their 6-4 loss. It will take some time, but we are gradually getting there.

As for next season, Webster does lose some of their stars, but the total senior count on a very large squad is only 9. Essentially all of the pitchers should be back.

Ralph Turner

The change in subject heading is to facilitate identifying a specific message board by sport and then by subject.  Good luck in 2008.

thenatural13

Pre-Season rankings are out for the SLIAC.
BASEBALL
1. Webster (8)
2. Greenville
3. Maryville (1)
4. Blackburn
5. Fontbonne
6. Westminster
7. Principia
8. Eureka
9. MacMurray

That is one of the biggest jokes ever. Number 1. Westminster owns Fontbonne. End of story there. 2. Blackburn has not finished lower than 2nd place in god knows how long. A team that returns every position player but one is being given no respect. 3. Principia may have lost some major talent but they made their mark in the SLIAC last spring. Dont count them out and automatically push them back down to 7th.

Pat Coleman

The SLIAC tournament was rained out. Webster gets the automatic bid. Final standings:

Final standings:
      Conf.         All
Webster    21-3       28-13
Westminster (Mo.)    16-8       23-13
Maryville (Mo.)    15-9       20-19
Greenville    14-10       20-19
Eureka    13-10       16-18
Blackburn    11-13       13-27
Fontbonne    10-13       15-19
Principia    3-20       11-27
MacMurray    3-20       6-26
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hopefan

In the Augie regional, Webster defeats both top seeded Illinois Wesleyan and 2nd seeded Wisconsin Stevens Point  -  what a fantastic job by the 6th seeded (Bottom) Gorlocks. 
3rd seeded Augustana has two one run wins, Webster, Wartburg and Linfield each have one loss in this double elimination format.

Ultimate Congrats to Webster!!!!
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

furbug

I was wondering why this site had been so quiet. At least Hopefan is keeping track. Y-jak has been also. Webster beat Augustana tonight and plays the winner of Augustana-Linfield tomorrow for the regional championship. No Webster team has gone this far before. This is exciting!

hopefan

If I had not of wrecked my knee yesterday while cutting the grass, I'd be recruiting yjack and the bugman for a quick trip up to Augie - may be a quick trip to the er instead....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

furbug

I considered making the trip, Hopefan. I was thinking about going up there early yesterday and staying over for today's game, but decided against it. I'm sorry now I did not go, although both of yesterday's games might have been a little too much for the old ticker. Not good about wrecking your knee cutting the grass. It looks like I'll be doing that today (cutting the grass, that is, not wrecking my knee, I hope). Of course I also have the grand-kids games to go to.

furbug

Ralph Turner

Going to the bottom of the 8th, Webster leads Linfield, 2-0.

Eric McKinley on the mound for the Gorloks.

Shannon Chung walks to open the bottom of the 8th for Linfield.  David Bachofner gets a walk; Chung moves to second.  Stew Davis drives home Chung on a double. Gunnar Cederberg pinch runs for Davis.  Bachofner is held at third.

McKinley is relieved by Greg Bade for Webster.  (Bade has a side-arm delivery.)

Drew Van Cleave up with no outs for Linfield.  He goes 6-3, but gets the RBI.  Cederberg moves to third.

Kevin Mills scores Cederberg on a SAC FLY to center.

Fenton grounds out to end the inning.

3runs, one hit, LOB 0.  Linfield 3-2.

Robert Vaughn takes the mound for the bottom of the ninth for Linfield.

?? HBP.  Pinch runner Jesse Watson.
Wesley Hilliard pinch hitting, executes the bunt, 1-3.  Watson goes to second.
John Combs batting...  Base on balls.

Coach Brosius relieves Vaughn with RHP Cameron Larson.

#9 hitter Nathan Shelton at bat... singles to left and scores Watson. Tied at 3

Intentional pass to load the bases.

Grant Bellak is pinch-hitting. Chung to Bachofner to Stanley, 4-6-3.
Going to the bottom of the 9th tied at 3.

Bade to face Stanley, who flies to left.

Jordan Boustead, grounds out 5-3 on attempted bunt single.

Cory Ellis, the lead-off batter, 6-3.  Three up and three down.  Going to the 10th.