BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badgerwarhawk and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

badgerwarhawk

I've got a feeling the WARHAWKS may be doing the same thing.  Though the forecast is calling for rain on Saturday so it may not matter.  Also even if the field is cleared the frost is coming out of the ground which won't matter in the infield due to the artifical turf but could make footing an issue in the outfield.  I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

On an unrelated matter kudos to the WARHAWKS women's softball team which wrapped up their Florida trip today with a 12-0 record.    I've always been a baseball guy but having had two daughters who played I developed an interest in softball.

"Just think twice is my only advice."

badgerwarhawk

The commissioner has established a rule to deal with the varying field conditions at different programs playing facilities.  I'll try to explain it but I've heard a couple of variations so I'm don't quote me.  I believe that this is the correct one.

I'll use this week's conference schedule for illustration purposes.

Platteville @ WHITEWATER
Stout @ LaCrosse
Oshkosh @ Stevens Point

Scenario 1:
WHITEWATER'S facility is in playable condition.
LaCrosse's facility is not
Stevens Point facility is not
In this scenario two of the three facilities are unplayable.   WHITEWATER and Platteville will not be allowed to play because the LaCrosse and Point facilities are unplayable.

Scenario 2:
In this scenario two of the three facilities are playable.  Both WHITEWATER'S and LaCrosse's facilities are playable but Point is not.  The WHITEWATER and Platteville as well as LaCrosse and Stout will be allowed to play.

So if two of the three facilities are unplayable no other conference games can be played.  If two (or obviously all three) are playable scheduled conference games can be played at those facilities. 

If necessary the conference tournament will be cancelled and the dates used to make up postponed games.  The winner of the conference's regular season schedule will earn the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA postseason tourney. 

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS: 15
Ripon: 3

The WARHAWKS opened the scoring in the B3 with Dylan Friend's RBI single.  Ripon got on the board with a solo home run in the T4 but the WARHAWKS put the game away with 8 runs in the bottom of the inning.  Mike Mierow, David Cladis (2), Mikol Pierce, Sam Keller and Steve Bartlein all had RBI singles.  Additionally Jared Fon drove in a run with a sac fly and another run scored on a fielder's choice.  The WARHAWKS added three runs in the B5 with another RBI single from Friend and a run scoring on a wild pitch.  Ripon got another run in the T6 but the WARHAWKS matched it with another RBI on Keller's double.  Three more WARHAWKS runs were scored in the B7 on a double from Fon (2) and Marty Herum's RBI single.  Ripon ended the scoring with a single run in the T8.

Matt Roberts (3-0) got the win giving up 7 hits and 2 runs (earned) while striking out 9 and walking a pair in 6 innings.  Justin Mortenson pitched 2 innings giving up an unearned run and Brock Liston finished the game surrendering a hit in 1 inning of relief.

Every WARHAWKS  starter recorded a hit as the team pounded out 22 hits in the game.  Herum led the way going 4x5.  Friend, Fon and Bartlein each had 3 hits while Keller, Pierce, Mierow and Cladis each had a pair.  Friend and Fon drove in 3 runs and Keller and Cladis each had a pair.

WARHAWKS: 10
Ripon: 2

The WARHAWKS got on the board first with a pair of runs in the B2 on JT Schneider's RBI single and a fielders choice.  They added two more in the B4 when Schneider tripled and then scored on a wild pitch.  Ripon got a run with an RBI single in the T6 but the WARHAWKS scored four times in the bottom of the inning with a three run home run by Mikol Pierce and when Schneider doubled, stole third and scored when the Ripon catcher sailed the ball into left field.  Ripon added a single run in the T7.  The WARHAWKS ended the scoring with a pair in the bottom of the inning when Marty Herum's single drove in a run and Pierce's single drove Herum in. 

Scott Plaza (1-0) went 6 innings giving up a single run (earned) on 6 hits walking a pair and striking out one.  Curtis Morgan, Quintin Zander and Justin Lambert each pitched an inning of relief.  Each gave up a single hit.  Morgan surrendered and unearned run while Zander struck out two of the four batters faced and Lambert also recorded a strikeout.

Pierce led the 15 hit WARHAWKS attacked going 4x4 with 4 RBI.  Jared Fon and Schneider each had 3 hits while Mierow had a pair. 

The WARHAWKS record improves to 9-3 while Ripon's falls to 4-8

Just Bill

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on March 30, 2013, 08:51:55 PM
The commissioner has established a rule to deal with the varying field conditions at different programs playing facilities.  I'll try to explain it but I've heard a couple of variations so I'm don't quote me.  I believe that this is the correct one.

I'll use this week's conference schedule for illustration purposes.

Platteville @ WHITEWATER
Stout @ LaCrosse
Oshkosh @ Stevens Point

Scenario 1:
WHITEWATER'S facility is in playable condition.
LaCrosse's facility is not
Stevens Point facility is not
In this scenario two of the three facilities are unplayable.   WHITEWATER and Platteville will not be allowed to play because the LaCrosse and Point facilities are unplayable.

Scenario 2:
In this scenario two of the three facilities are playable.  Both WHITEWATER'S and LaCrosse's facilities are playable but Point is not.  The WHITEWATER and Platteville as well as LaCrosse and Stout will be allowed to play.

So if two of the three facilities are unplayable no other conference games can be played.  If two (or obviously all three) are playable scheduled conference games can be played at those facilities. 

If necessary the conference tournament will be cancelled and the dates used to make up postponed games.  The winner of the conference's regular season schedule will earn the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA postseason tourney.

That. Is. Stupid.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

badgerwarhawk

That was my reaction also.    I have no idea whether there was any input from the coaching staffs.  Our facility was in pretty good shape yesterday all things considered.  The outfield is a bit soft but I didn't notice anyone having problems.  A few days of wind should dry it out quite nicely. 

Bill, you seem to be pretty much on top of these things so maybe you could check with some of your sources to clarify anything I may have misstated.  Hopefully it won't come into play.   

badgerwarhawk

New Developement:

UW-Whitewater's doubleheader versus UW-Superior, at Jim Miller Stadium at Prucha Field, originally set for Saturday at 12:00 has been changed.  As of Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., UW-Whitewater will host the Yellowjackets in a single game Friday at 6:00 p.m., and the teams will meet again for a single game at 4:00 Saturday.

The Whitewater-Superior doubleheader set for Sunday at 12:00 has not changed.

The changes are necessary because UW-Whitewater will host WIAC twinbills between UW-Platteville and UW-Stevens Point Friday and Saturday prior to the Whitewater-Superior games.  Other schools are having difficulty getting their fields in playing condition, so Whitewater's the artificial turf at Jim Miller Stadium at Prucha Field, and the lights made possible by Eric Baldwin, will accommodate the additional games.

Credit to the WHITEWATER sports information department from whom I have simply copied and pasted the above.

It's appears that there has been a modification made to the previously created rule.    The WARHAWKS/Platteville games scheduled for today will be played.

Babe Truth

I heard that there were contingency plans for six teams to play their 12 games in Whitewater from Friday thru Monday if necessary. Fortunately the field in Oshkosh looks good to go by Saturday.

Babe Truth

I wonder if other artificial infield sites are ever considered in order to avoid a six team log jam over three days.  I know Sun Prairie and Waupun are a couple such high school fields this side of Milwaukee, assuming they're available to rent.

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS: 8
Platteville: 5

It was a rough start for the WARHAWKS as starting pitcher Tom Kerndt gave up 5 runs, all earned, in .2 innings allowing a pair of triples, a single, two hit batters and the WARHAWKS went down 1-2-3.  Scott Plaza relieved Kerndt and things settled down though the WARHAWKS weren't able to get on the board until the third  when Marty Herum singled in a pair.  The WARHAWKS scored two more in the fifth inning when David Cladis led off with a double, Michael Gonzalez followed with another double scoring Cladis and Jared Fon's double drove in Gonzalez.  Platteville nearly scored in the sixth but Herum was able to cut the runner down at the plate.  The WARHAWKS scored the winning run in seventh when Cladis led off with another double and was driven in by Fon's second double and a Herum triple drove in Fon.  The WARHAWKS ended the scoring with a pair of insurance runs on Mike Mierow's RBI single and a sac fly from Cladis in the eighth.

Plaza (2-0) pitched 8.1 innings in relief to pick up the win.  He was touched for 5 hits while walking and striking out single.
batters.

Herum led the offense going 3x4 with 3 RBIs.  Fon and Pierce each had a pair of hits with Fon driving in a pair  while Gonzalez, Mierow and Cladis each had a single RBI.

WARHAWKS: 4
Platteville: 3

The WARHAWKS jumped on top with a pair of runs in their first at bat.  Dylan Friend and Jared Fon both singled, both advanced on a wild pitch and both scored when Mikole Pierce singled.   After that neither team could push a run across the plate until the eighth.  The WARHAWKS threatened when they loaded the bases with one out in the seventh but the inning ended when the next two hitters grounded out.  Platteville got on the board and took a 3-2 lead in the eighth when the WARHAWKS pitching faultered.  The Pioneers led off the inning with a double and three consecutive walks brought the first run home.  A fourth walk brought another run home and a single scored the third run.  The WARHAWKS tied the game in the bottom of the inning when Steve Bartlein led off with a single and after a fielder's choice out two WARHAWKS were walked and Sam Keller lofted a sacrifice fly which scored Bartlein.  After the Pioneers went down 1-2-3 in the ninth the WARHAWKS got a double from Marty Herum, Pierce was intentionally walked, Bartlein singled to load the bases and Mike Mierow's single ended the game.

Justin Lambert started giving up a single run (earned) on 7 hits with 8 strikeouts and a pair of walks in 7 innings.  Matt Roberts relieved but struggled lasting only .1 inning  and giving up a pair of runs before Quinton Zander  (1-1) picked up the win allowing only a single hit with a pair of strikeouts in 1.2 innings.

Bartlein paced the 15 hit WARHAWKS offense going 5x5.  Cladis, Friend and Fon all recorded a pair of hits.  Pierce had a pair of RBI while Keller and Mierow each had one.

badgerwarhawk

A statistical look at the WIAC nationally (through 3/31):
Top 20

Hitting:
Batting Average: Stevens Point .361 (2), Oshkosh .350 (7), WHITEWATER .347 (9)
Scoring: Oshkosh 8.3 (17)
Doubles: WHITEWATER 2.92/game (5)
Triples: LaCrosse .083/game (3), Season: 10 (T13)
Home Runs: Superior .62/game
Slugging %: WHITEWATER .494 (3), Oshkosh .483 (5), Stevens Point .472 (11)

Pitching:
Earned Run Average: Oshkosh 1.78 (3), WHITEWATER 2.32 (11)
Strikeouts: Steven Point 8.5/game (18)
Hits Allowed: Oshkosh 6.43/game (2)
WHIP: Oshkosh 1.01 (2)

Fielding:
Double Plays: Oshkosh 1.17/game (7), Platteville 1.07/game (16)

Miscellaneous:
On Base %: Stevens Point .445 (5)
Won/Loss %: Oshkosh .917 (3)

Check this link to see where your team ranks compared to the national leaders:
http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv/ranksummary

cubs

Quote from: ShineTime on March 07, 2013, 06:35:12 PM
I have platteville 3rd
If they do indeed end up 3rd, they will have climbed out of an early season hole, considering their 0-6 WIAC start.

I will say that the 0-6 start in WIAC play isn't as bad as it sounds, considering that four losses have come to Stevens Point and the other two against Whitewater.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS: 7
Superior: 3

The WARHAWKS scored all the runs they would need in their first at bat when they pushed 5 runs across the plate.  Sam Keller was hit by a pitch to start the inning and was followed by Dylan Friend's single.   Both runners advanced on Jared Fon's bunt single and Keller scored the first run on a wild pitch.  Marty Herum reached first on a throwing error scoring Friend.  Mikole Pierce extended his hitting streak to nine games with a single which drove in Fon.  After Steve Bartein's sac bunt advanced both runners JT Schneider's sac fly scored Herum and Pierce scored two batters later when David Cladis singled.  The WARHAWKS scored two more in the sixth when another wild pitch scored Cladis and Herum had an RBI single.  Superior got a single run in the seventh on three hits and a sac fly and scored two more in the eighth to end the scoring in the game.

Quintin Zander (1-1) was credited with the win going 6.2 innings allowing 3 earned runs on 10 hits with a pair of strikeouts and walks.  Brock Liston relieved him allowing 2 hits and striking out 2 in 2.1 innings.

Friend and Bartlien each had a pair of hits in three at bats.  Marty Herum had a pair of RBI while Pierce, Schneider and Cladis each drove in a run.

I'm not sure of the scores but Point did win both ends of their double hitter with Platteville.  I think the scores were 7-3 and 14-3 but I didn't look them up to be certain. 

It was pretty cold for our game.   

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS: 17
Superior: 7

As they had on Friday the WARHAWKS jumped on top scoring five runs in their first at bat.  Michael Gonzalez reached base on an error and was followed by Dylan Friend's double and Jared Fon's infield single to load the bases.   Marty Herum and Mikole Pierce both walked forcing the first two runs across the plate.  Steve Bartein's sac fly brought in another run.  After JT Schneider also drew a walk Mike Mierow singled driving in a pair.  Superior answered with three runs in the third with three consecutive singles and a triple.  After the WARHAWKS were retired 1-2-3 in the bottom of the inning the Yellow Jackets took a 7-5 lead on a triple, a single and another single misplayed into a three base error.  The WARHAWKS regained the lead 9-7 in the fifth with an RBI single from Schneider and a three run home run off Mierow's bat.  Dylan Friend led the sixth inning off with a solo home run.  After Fon was walked Herum doubled and Pierce singled driving in Fon.  After an out Schneider doubled down the line driving in both Herum and Pierce.  After another out David Cladis was walked and stole second setting the stage for Friend's single driving in both Schneider and Cladis however Friend was thrown out at second attempting to stretch the single into an extra base hit and the score stood 15-7.  The Yellow Jackets went down in order in the seventh and the WARHAWKS ended the game by the run rule with back to back solo shots from Fon and Herum. 

Justin Mortenson started the game but left after 3.1 innings having given up 7 runs (5 earned) on 9 hits with 4 strikeouts and a pair of walks.  He was relieved by Curtis Martin (1-0).  The freshman only surrendered a single hit while striking out 3 in 3.2 innings on the mound.

Friend and Fon led the 16 hit WARHAWKS offense with 3 hits apiece. Herum, Pierce and Schneider each had two hits.  Friend and Herum each hit doubles and home runs while Bartlein and Schneider hit doubles and Fon and Mierow had home runs.  Pierce extended his hitting streak to 10 games.  Friend, Schneider and Mierow all had 3 RBI.  Herum, Pierce, Schneider and Cladis drove in a pair apiece.  Fon and Bartlein each drove in one. 

Point beat Platteville twice by 6-2 and 5-4 scores.

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS: 7
Superior: 5

Unlike the two previous games this time it was the Yellow Jackets who jumped out to an early 3-0 lead with a pair of singles and a walk followed by a triple in their first at bat.  The WARHAWKS got one run back when Dylan Friend homered in the B3 and tied the game with two runs on Steve Bartlein's RBI sac fly and Mike Mierow's RBI single.  Superior was quick to answer regaining the lead with a pair of runs in the T4 but the WARHAWKS were just as quick to respond and take a 6-5 lead with an RBI double by Mikole Pierce and Bartlein's single which drove in a pair of runs in the bottom of the inning.  After neither team scored in the sixth and the Yellow Jackets were retired in order in the T7 Marty Herum gave the WARHAWKS an insurance run with a solo shot which ended the scoring.  The Yellow Jackets made the ninth interesting however as the first three batters singled to load the bases with no outs before Colin Grove settled down striking out the next two batters and ending the game on an infield ground out.

Matt Roberts (4-0) got the win pitching eight complete allowing all 5 runs (earned) while surrendering 6 hits with 8 strikeouts and 4 walks.  Grove was credited with a save.

Friend and Herum each had 3 hits and Pierce extended his hitting streak to 11 games with a pair of hits.  Bartlein had a pair of RBI while Friend, Herum, Pierce and Mierow all had one.

WARHAWKS: 11
Superior: 8

For the third time in four games it was the WARHAWKS who took the early lead with a pair of runs in the first and three in the second.  Marty Heum's two run home run accounted for the first two and Mike Mierow's RBI sac fly coupled with RBI singles by Dylan Friend and Jared Fon accounted for the second inning runs.  However the Yellow Jackets stormed back with five runs tying the game in the third.  Andrew Bauer's RBI double regained the lead for the WARHAWKS and another RBI single by Friend put them in front 7-5 in the B4.  Superior once again rose to the occassion tying the game with two runs in the sixth and took their first lead in the game 8-7 with a run in the eighth.  Bauer and Friend both walked to lead off the B8 and both advanced a base on Jared Fon's sac bunt.  A balk call brought Bauer across the plate to tie the game.  After Herum was intentionally walked and Pierce unintentionally walked Steve Bartlein's single drove in both Friend and Herum.  JT Schneider followed that with a RBI sac bunt to score Pierce.  The Yellow Jackets did put two runners on base in the ninth but Tom Kerndt struck out the side to end the game.

Justin Lambert started pitching 5 innings giving up 5 runs (4 earned) allowing 8 hits and walking 1.  Cody Steed (1-0) picked up the win with 3 innings of relief allowing 3 runs (1 earned) on 5 hits with 2 strikeouts and 1 walk.  Kerndt was credited with a save in his one inning on the mound allowing a pair of hits with 3 strikeouts.

Friend, Fon, Bartlein and Schneider each had a pair of hits.  Herum's home run extended his hitting streak to 10 games though Mikole Pierce's streak was broken.  Bartlein and Friend each had a pair of RBI while Bauer, Fon, Herum, Schneider and Mierow all drove in single runs. 

cubs

Safe to assume Oshksoh and La Crosse are only getting three games in?
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion