FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

miac952

Quote from: DuffMan on September 12, 2018, 09:07:14 PM
With the MIAC's new heat policy and the weather forecast for Saturday, will games be played?

2018 Rule Changes

I thought this was a fake press release for a minute. My goodness. What happens if the trainers say it's too hot to continue? Is the game over at that point and result final.

Further down it looks like targeting calls get reviewed at halftime. I assume 2nd half targeting calls get reviewed after the game as well, to allow for a change in call and participation in the first half of the next game.

art76

With the MIAC's new heat policy and the weather forecast for Saturday, will games be played?

2018 Rule Changes

The wet bulb rule is going to be stomped all over, in my opinion, because no provision was made for an impartial referee to monitor the situation. At least I didn't read anything in the link provided. It's to be administered by the host trainer. Last time I checked, trainers don't take weather forecasting in their undergraduate or graduate programs. And a determination has to be made 48 hours ahead of the contest. Really? In MN? And  24 hours before the contest they have to decide whether or not to play? Then on the day of the contest, depending on conditions, additional time will be added to the contest. While it appears to be thought out, it seems to have no teeth as I first glance it. Without an impartial "official" that is trained in weather forecasting that can over rule an official on the field is positioned, I think this is a ruling that is apt to get abused or neglected, or both. While well intentioned, the administration of the rules was not given enough consideration, in my opinion.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

faunch

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 12, 2018, 09:30:05 PM
Quote from: faunch on September 12, 2018, 09:20:09 PM
I do somewhat agree with you however I would bet that the University of Maryland might be singing a different tune these days.
The forecast for Gus Davis in Saint Pedro is 88 degrees. My guess is with the radiant heat of the turf that translates into a temp over the 86.1 Wet Bulb Globe Temperature.

And what kind of demons are working at the MIAC?  86.1?  What kind of temperature is that?  I tell you what.  It's 30 celsius.

Calculating the Wet Bulb Global Temp...from the Korey Stringer Institute (remember...the guy that died in the heat).
https://ksi.uconn.edu/2017/03/02/wet-bulb-globe-temperature-or-heat-index/

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

bleedpurple

Quote from: miac952 on September 12, 2018, 09:31:12 PM

2018 Rule Changes

I thought this was a fake press release for a minute. My goodness. What happens if the trainers say it's too hot to continue? Is the game over at that point and result final.

Further down it looks like targeting calls get reviewed at halftime. I assume 2nd half targeting calls get reviewed after the game as well, to allow for a change in call and participation in the first half of the next game.
So I guess if ya'll have to come to Whitewater for a playoff game, you will just forfeit to protect your athletes?

OzJohnnie

And FYI, who knows if the MIAC administrators even know this, but the temperature thresholds and cooling breaks are a mirror of FIFA's regulations.  My Google sleuthing of a nagging suspicion lead me to this evil destination.  Stinkin' soccer.
[  

OzJohnnie

Yeah, these are the guys to look to for ideas on how to run a sport properly.

[  

sjusection105

Quote from: DuffMan on September 12, 2018, 09:18:52 PM
What's next, mandatory long sleeves if it's below 40 F?
What's next is when it's "too cold" by definition of MIAC Policy, all games will be played inside the Gagliardi Dome. Since there is no seating, the Stretch Internet Streaming price will be increased to $20.00.  :o
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

DuffMan

Quote from: sjusection105 on September 13, 2018, 07:26:10 AM
What's next is when it's "too cold" by definition of MIAC Policy, all games will be played inside the Gagliardi Dome. Since there is no seating, the Stretch Internet Streaming price will be increased to $20.00.  :o

Brilliant foresight by SJU.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

sjusection105

Quote from: DuffMan on September 13, 2018, 08:18:17 AM
Quote from: sjusection105 on September 13, 2018, 07:26:10 AM

Brilliant foresight by SJU.
The brilliant thing about it is, no national search for an AD required to pull this off. Just the same old Golf Coach/AD that SJU has had for years. And the funding for the dome provided by a ordinary guy, doing ordinary things extraordinarily well. That and owning a couple hundred gas stations/truck stops doesn't hurt either.... :D
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

MUC57

What's going on up there? Wet bulb rule? Gagliardi domes? A mirror of FIFA regulations? I know I'm an outsider but I'm trying to follow what's happening. Maybe I should just go back to the OAC board and talk about how we'll destroy Baldwin-Wallace this weekend. I think I will! Bye, and lots of luck! ☠🏈
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

USTBench

Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

MiacMan

Hey it looks like Hamline has a pretty decent QB and a solid RB as well. Maybe they'll be able to hang with Tommies for a little while?  ;D

art76

Quote from: MiacMan on September 13, 2018, 11:26:56 AM
Hey it looks like Hamline has a pretty decent QB and a solid RB as well. Maybe they'll be able to hang with Tommies for a little while?  ;D
Until opening kick-off?
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

MiacMan

Quote from: art76 on September 13, 2018, 11:31:39 AM
Quote from: MiacMan on September 13, 2018, 11:26:56 AM
Until opening kick-off?

Poor Trinity didn't even make it through that play (opening kick-off). Just looking for game related topics to discuss. I think the Cobbers and Auggies is the most intriguing game this week. I believe the Cobbers will prevail but I have a feeling it's going to be a dogfight? Hope so anyway.

Pat Coleman

With excessive heat and humidity in Saturday's mid-day forecast, St. Thomas athletics director Steve Fritz has announced new starting times for three on-campus sports contests:

No. 3-ranked Tommie Football (1-0) will move back its 1:10 p.m. game against Hamline at Palmer Field to a 6 p.m. start;
No. 16-ranked Tommie Women's Soccer (4-1) will move up its 1 p.m. game against St. Benedict at South Field to a 10 a.m. start;
No. 4-ranked Tommie Men's Soccer (5-0) will shift back its 3:30 p.m. contest against St. John's at South Field to a 5 p.m. start.
New conference protocols prevent athletic competitions from starting or continuing if the heat and humidity index reaches a certain point, and mid-day conditions Saturday likely would cause delays if these games were kept at the regular starting times.

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.