MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

I finally had a chance to look at that Webster-Illinois College box score and I had the mentioned the wrong Saxony Lutheran graduate as a factor.

6-3 Tre Rogers had a game with 19 points and 6 assists, but 6-9 Trae Robinson was limited to 8 minutes of play.  I only had the opportunity to see him play one game last year, but for a freshman, Robinson was a force against Washington University last year.

hopefan

SLIAC fans take note.... Westminster hoops tonight vs Central Christian - the team that MacMurray beat with a last second free throw on Saturday... streaming 7 central 8 eastern...
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

hopefan

Westmin 91-91   30 seconds left.... fantastic game!!!!   CC a simple sweet pass to their big man for the winning basket... 93-91 Central Christian....

hopefan

;D ;D ;D   Well hopefan is 0 for 1 on SLIAC POW.... SLIAC.org selects Logan Doherty from Mac... 18 point and 16 rebounds... I let his 0 for 8 Free Throw shooting  swing me away from him to Santi Grady of Greenville...

So I'm 0 for 1.... or wait is SLIAC.org 0 for 1????      ;D ;D ;D

WUPHF

I watched the last few minutes of the Westminster game.

I do think the Blue Jays needed to slow things down.

The speed may have contributed to both the last turnover and last charging foul.

The Blue Jays started three transfers along with two transfer reserves if I counted correctly, so five transfers out of a nine-player rotation.  Who knows what this team will look like in a month or two?

hopefan

Quote from: WUPHF on November 12, 2019, 01:09:36 AM
I watched the last few minutes of the Westminster game.

I do think the Blue Jays needed to slow things down.

The speed may have contributed to both the last turnover and last charging foul.

The Blue Jays started three transfers along with two transfer reserves if I counted correctly, so five transfers out of a nine-player rotation.  Who knows what this team will look like in a month or two?

Yes, a different look for Westmin with many many penetrations to the basket.. I liked it.. Landon Harrison, a 5'10" guard could become a favorite of fans quickly... his Westmin debut showed 16 points, 9 boards, 4 assists...    where did he transfer in from?

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

Harrison is one of two transfers from Columbia College and the other three are junior college transfers as far as I can tell.

hopefan

Thanks guys...He surely is a ready to play recruit....

Lots of games tonight for me to wander around the internet to watch...

a one liner about each... wish GC guy could write his analysis on them..

Hanover at Spalding... Hanover preseason 2 in the HCAC... Spalding lost alot from last year, this game should be Hanover's

Iowa Wesleyan at Dubuque... IWU coming off surprising win over Culver Stockton, Dubuque rated in middle of ARC... I go with Dubuque, but IF IWU wins this one, I'll begin to be a believer....

Blackburn at Illinois Wesleyan... the other IWU will be an easy winner

Knox at Principia... with the return of Payton Sellers after sitting out last year, and the addition of AJ Byrd (yes..Tre Goodman's little brother), Prin is much better than preseason forecasts... they should beat Knox, the basement dweller in MWC preseason poll

Missouri Baptist at Webster... Webster laid a major egg vs Illinois College, but Coach Bunch is so good at pulling off major surprises.. still, Mo Bap would normally have better talent... gotta go with Mo Bap...

so per the above, 1 win for the SLIAC tonight... Iowa Wez could make it two... I'd be shocked if ew fare any better....

hopefan

ugh  0-5... Webster comeback took Mo Bap to OT, but they couldn't buy a hoop then and lose by 10.... the video upgrades that showed greatly improved camera work this past weekend failed tonight... no streaming of this very exciting game... very disappointing...
the other 4 games all hit the internet... Spalding had a great 1st half vs Hanover but fell apart in the 2nd half, Iowa Wez got clobbered by Dubuque, Blackburn hung around but lost by alot at Illinois Wesleyan, and Prin looked horrible against Knox....and oh... yeah... Evansville beat Kentucky....

hopefan

2 games tonight

Mac plays Lincoln Christian.... LCC lost by 6 to the same Central Christian that Mac beat by 1... so this should be a decent game....

Fontbonne plays the Eutectics of St Louis Pharma.... Pharma got clobbered in some exhibitions, and by NAIA Kansas Wesleyan and Illinois Springfield... that doesn't necessarily mean they are horrible as they look forward to playing a D3 team.. Hoping Fontbonne will be ready

y_jack_lok

As the headline said, a poor second half doomed Webster against Illinois College on Friday. Last njght it was a poor overtime -- 1 for 11 shooting vs 4 of 5 shooting -- that doomed the Gorloks against Missouri Baptist. Other than that it was a great game -- although shooting stats in regulation weren't good either. Webster played with energy that it didn't show on Friday. Almost as though on Friday they were thinking too much on the court about what to do whereas last night they just played like the experienced players they are. Things that stand out in the box score are 9 steals to 8 turnovers and hanging on the boards with 47 rebounds to Mo Bap's 50. I thought I noticed a few offensive wrinkles that I haven't seen with previous teams. Gonna keep my eye on that.

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on November 13, 2019, 08:31:12 AM
As the headline said, a poor second half doomed Webster against Illinois College on Friday. Last njght it was a poor overtime -- 1 for 11 shooting vs 4 of 5 shooting -- that doomed the Gorloks against Missouri Baptist. Other than that it was a great game -- although shooting stats in regulation weren't good either. Webster played with energy that it didn't show on Friday. Almost as though on Friday they were thinking too much on the court about what to do whereas last night they just played like the experienced players they are. Things that stand out in the box score are 9 steals to 8 turnovers and hanging on the boards with 47 rebounds to Mo Bap's 50. I thought I noticed a few offensive wrinkles that I haven't seen with previous teams. Gonna keep my eye on that.

27 shots Josh Johnson.... nope, don't agree that's the best offense for Webster at all, unless he's making 14 or 15 of them... there has to be better distribution of the ball...will give credit though for his 8 boards, 2 assts, 3 steals and only 1 turnover...but 10-27, 3-14 is bad...
On the other hand, what a game by Enrique Tankins... unfortunately he didn't shoot well (5-15), but everything else.. 16 rebounds, 10 of them offensive, 5 assists, 3 steals, 4 blocks, NO turnovers... 13 points... a tremendous game....

8 turnovers for Webster against a very good team... may end up to be the best mark for a SLIAC team all season....

I was very disappointed with Prin... Clark Davidson is a GOOD player... but with Goodman and Byrd rarely looking for him, he's never seeing the ball... 5 shots? he should be getting 10 to 15... I'm hoping Sellers finds his stroke... he looks good shooting it, but very rusty after sitting a year....Goodman's numbers look good.. but he reminds me of  former Webster player Hunter Ward.... I think of how much better that I think he SHOULD be....

y_jack_lok

^^^ Not sure what I said about the Webster offense that you disagree with. I made note of bad shooting without mentioning names and referenced what appeared to me to be "offensives wrinkles" that I hadn't seen before and plan to keep an eye on -- to confirm or refute my one time observation. I agree that Johnson taking 27 shots is too much. The ball was actually being distributed quite well. Lots of great passing, some guys passing up shot opportunities I thought they should have taken. Too bad the live stream wasn't working so you could have actually seen the game.

GU1999

[/quote]

27 shots Josh Johnson.... nope, don't agree that's the best offense for Webster at all, unless he's making 14 or 15 of them... there has to be better distribution of the ball...will give credit though for his 8 boards, 2 assts, 3 steals and only 1 turnover...but 10-27, 3-14 is bad...

Was Johnson forcing the shots?  Was he settling for early clock or contested 3's?  If so, I would could potentially agree with you.  If this is simply looking at a box and saying its too much, I think that is possibley misplaced angst.

I am always a bit leery of setting proper amounts of shots for players, especially really good players, like Johnson.  One could argue that you want Johnson who shot 40% from three last year on 140 attempts and who is a career 37% from 3 guy to take a lot of 3's, just not bad ones.  And determining the bad ones requires possession by possession analysis.