FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

Raider, I agree with BoredatWork (BAW) somewhat ;D Here are my opinions on your questions:

1) Yes, Trine will win the MIAA.
2) Yes, Hope could win, but...it is at Adrian and the latter has been playing so much better than Hope, so it will be difficult.
3) Hope should win at home in the season final, however, Olivet is never a push-over for them in recent years, even when Olivet has been at their less successful seasons.  If Hope continues to play like they have the last two games before last weekend's "bye", Olivet could have a good chance at beating Hope at the latter's home turf.  Obviously, I "Hope" that doesn't happen. :)

Also, I was wondering the same as both of you re: why the lack of "other" discussion on our board.  Perhaps everyone has conceded that Trine will win and since their/our teams are not having very good seasons, they're waiting for it to end.  Although, in that regard, it puzzles me because Albion still has a good chance at winning the title and gaining the AQ, especially the way they have been playing of recent.  Our Albion colleagues should be "writing books" here on our board for that! ::)  Yet, as for the rest of us (with the exception of Trine) we should have the attititude that our teams (and us as their supporters) need to stay focused and fight on to the end regardless (you know, the "Custer's Last Stand or the Alamo or that "goal line stand" principles";))  Such experiences and the process that our teams are going through this year are an important lession for later years when the playing careers are over. So my prayer and advice to players on these other teams is to stay focused, give 110% no matter what, have fun and savor the experience and memories with your teammates and your school.    As that old saying goes..."you only pass this way once in life".  Those of us "old(er) ;D guys, know that all too well.  My apologies for the philosophical and reminicsing here my friends, but, you wanted some discussion activity!!! ;D :o :) At least my answers to the questions were short like BAW's!!!

As always, please drive safe tomorrow for those of you going to the games and I hope you all have an enjoyable day and weekend.  Dress warm, too.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

Diezel1

To be honest, K-zoo scares me and so does Albion. Trine struggles at K-zoo and Orr could run for 250. He has the potential to keep the ball in Albion's hands for a long time and that makes me nervous

BoredatWork56

Diezel,

I agree with you to some degree.  Playing at Kzoo has been tough the last few years and if you dont mind another trip down memory lane, the last time Trine visited Kalamazoo, Kzoo jumped to an early lead and dominated  the line of scrimmage for most of the game until Trine made a furious comeback fueled by turnovers and huge plays through the air to score with less than two minutes to go with a chance to tie the game.  They kicked the PAT to tie, but took the points off the board on a defensive penalty to go for 2 and the win. Thats another game I will never forget.

Now that I have that out of the way, Kzoo and Albion are fairly one deminsional on offense.  I have faith that Trine can buckle down and stop either the pass or the run on any given Saturday.  I have a feeling they will be able to get good pressure on the Kzoo QB, and load the box and make Albion beat them through the air.  A good balanced team could give them some trouble, but they might not run into one until the playoffs.

Either Albion or Kzoo might be able to put some points on the board, but neither of them will be able to stop this very balanced, very dangerous Trine offense.  Trine wins both even if the defense falters and they simply have to outscoring them
Lessons learned in the classroom last for a semester, lessons learned on the field last forever

adidas28

I agree with you BoredAtWork.

Trine's balance is what seperates it from the rest of the MIAA. There offense has so many formations and personnel groups they simply find what's working and then roll up the yards and points. The defense puts a ton of pressure on the QB to help make the defensive backs job easier and the linebackers are great against the run. Again, they rotate alot of peoplein on the defensive front to keep them fresh.

The area that doesn't get mentioned enough in my opinion is Trine's Special Teams. How many points have they scored this year with blocked punts, and punt and kick returns? Not to mention the Verley kid is always a threat to block a pat or field goal. Howard is a great a kicker and the punter is darn good also.

One other thing, they have the best coaching staff in the conference, and the half time adjutments they make always seemto be the right ones.

With all that being said, I think that having to win out to win the Conference Title outright will only help Trine in the playoffs.
"If God wanted us to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms" - Mike Ditka

sflzman

Quote from: Raider 68 on November 05, 2010, 09:43:07 AM
The season is not over yet, so why is this board so quiet? The MIAA has an undefeated team and a playoff bound team in Trine. Other than discussing sflzman's new helmet, there has been no conversation! :(

1. Will Trine win the MIAA, Yes ?

2. Can Hope win away at Adrian?

3. Does Olivet win a MIAA game?

1. Do I need to answer?

2. No. Adrian will win by 13+

3. If they are going to, it has to be tomorrow....I still give about a 1.5% chance....
Be not afraid of greatness - Shakespeare

sflzman

Quote from: Diezel1 on November 05, 2010, 12:25:58 PM
To be honest, K-zoo scares me and so does Albion. Trine struggles at K-zoo and Orr could run for 250. He has the potential to keep the ball in Albion's hands for a long time and that makes me nervous

Orr's a beast, and has the potential to lead Albion to an upset anytime, but I just don't see it happening based on what he's done this season....

sflzman

Food for thought....

Is there any chance that Alma will finish in a Tie for 3rd? Here's my reasoning to yes....

A win at Olivet will put them at 2-3...Adrian I believe will beat Hope, and Trine will definately beat Kzoo.

Standings should look like this:

1. Trine (5-0)
2. Albion (4-1)
3. Adrian (3-2)
4. Hope (2-3)
4. Alma (2-3)
6. Kalamazoo (2-4)
7. Olivet (0-5)

It should come down to: Do you think Alma will beat Adrian on Senior Day where Alma has not lost since 1996...an 80-40 massacring at the hands of Albion.....

formerd3db

sflzman:

If Alma plays the way it is capable of, I think they will beat Adrian, especially since it is at home for Alma and a very special day i.e. Senior Day as you mention.

BTW, I remember that shellshacking 80 point game by Albion.  While Alma could do nothing right that day it seemed, Albion piled on the score, which obviously didn't go over well with Alma's coaching staff or the players I might say.  However, they got paid back the next year when Alma finally smashed Albion in a 56-16 win, one of the more larger losses by an Albion team in a long time during that stretch of the '90's.

Anyway, as we've all been discussing, the last two games of this season for the most of the MIAA teams will be to try and salvage what they can out of their "season gone bad".
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

TrineDad

Frankly, Trine's run so far had been so dominant that doing a lot of chest thumping on this board has seemed a little like piling on.  That being said...my son is a senior...I have enjoyed the hell out of this season and I do not want it to end.  I cannot be real objective but this is a deep and talented team that has been focused all season long.  I expect no less tomorrow.  As pointed out above Trine is a team that has got to be a defensive coach's nightmare. There are simply too many weapons to cover them all.  And while the offense gets all the press the defense has been a constant smothering presence and as the weather gets colder that becomes an even more important weapon.  I'd be shocked if this team failed to "show up" tomorrow or next week and expect an undefeated regular season.  How far they go in the playoffs....who knows...but the talent is there, the ability is there, the coaching is there.....what a ride!!

formerd3db

TrineDad:

Great to have you on the board.  You can be very proud of your son.  Great to know about so many of the Trine parents/families being able to enjoy this culmination with their son's careers.  For what it's worth, I don't think anyone here on this board would take yours or any of your Trine colleague's comments as "chest thumping".  Trine has earned the accalodes so far and as that more modern current saying goes..."it is what it is" (which is a modern way of saying that..."it is simply the truth". ;))

Anyway, since we (Hope) can't win it, I'm pulling for you guys to advance even further in the playoffs this year.  However,...obviously I should not jump ahead as you have to take care of business this week first and then on the final Sat of the regular season - one game at a time.  Good luck tomorrow against a tricky Kazoo team.

Mr. Ypsi

IF Albion somehow pulls off a miracle next week, it will be interesting to see if Trine gets a pool C.  Their SoS is pretty weak, and there look to be a LOT of 9-1 teams.

Methinks the Thunder better take care of business (I think they will) or they should be VERY nervous on selection day.

formerd3db

You have a good point there, Mr. Ypsi.  Like you, though, I think that Trine will rise to the task and take care of business.  It will be interesting to see what happens.

sflzman

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 05, 2010, 06:59:55 PM
IF Albion somehow pulls off a miracle next week, it will be interesting to see if Trine gets a pool C.  Their SoS is pretty weak, and there look to be a LOT of 9-1 teams.

Methinks the Thunder better take care of business (I think they will) or they should be VERY nervous on selection day.

I think that Trine will get an at-large bid even if they lose to Albion...with the two wins last year, the name "Trine" should be respected a bit more, even though the name "MIAA" may not....

formerd3db

Quote from: sflzman on November 05, 2010, 09:48:00 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 05, 2010, 06:59:55 PM
IF Albion somehow pulls off a miracle next week, it will be interesting to see if Trine gets a pool C.  Their SoS is pretty weak, and there look to be a LOT of 9-1 teams.

I think that Trine will get an at-large bid even if they lose to Albion...with the two wins last year, the name "Trine" should be respected a bit more, even though the name "MIAA" may not....

sflzman:

I tend to disagree with you on that.  Although I think Trine is deserving of an at -large bid if they were to have 1 loss; like Pat and Mr. Ypsi said, there are too many other teams that would be most likely 9-1 with much stronger SoS ratings.  As much as I am not necessarily a fan of the SoS in the way it is set up and/or interpreted, I think that Trine would be shut out due to the committee that makes the decisions being so in to that system.  They would most likely go with the more "known" or name teams out East that have traditionally been stronger or "to the dance" before, much more than Trine.  If that happens, I am not saying I would agree with that, but also admitting my MIAA bias for Trine, I would not be happy if that were to occur.

Anyway, lets hope that Trine just wins out and all the above will be a mute point - i.e. pure speculation before the actual final outcome happened obviously. ;D

Mr. Ypsi

IF Trine goes 9-1 and doesn't get a pool C, it is purely the fault of the MIAA.  The OAC, with 10 teams, plays only ONE non-con game per team - inevitably their OWP is VERY close to .500.  With only 6 conference games per team, the MIAA can have an OWP WAY above (or below) .500.  Alas, for the MIAA, it is WAY below. :(

Step it up, Olivet, Hope, Alma, ... 8-)

Though, Trine, you COULD step up your own OWP (8-25??!!)! :P  Perhaps it wouldn't be PURELY the fault of your conference partners. ;))