BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lets Play Two

Purple makes a great point.  Diving into the numbers a little:

CMS went 5-7 against the 4 playoff teams.  In those games, Oxy, CLU, ULV and CU were a combined 95 for 391 for a .243 batting average.
Whittier went 3-9 against the 4 playoff teams.  In those games, Oxy, CLU, ULV and CU were a combined 112 for 396 for a .283 batting average.
Caltech went 2-10 against the 4 playoff teams.  In those games, Oxy, CLU, ULV and CU were a combined 116 for 377 for a .308 batting average.

Oxy, CLU, ULV and CU went 26-10 vs. CMS, Whittier and Caltech, going 323 for 1164 for a .277 batting average.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Gray Fox on May 09, 2019, 03:31:46 PM
All SCIAC Team Announced

https://www.thesciac.org/sports/bsb/2018-19/releases/20190508olp4dm

Congratulations to the players and coaches honored.  Additionally, congratulations to all teams for another interesting and enjoyable season.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Lets Play Two on May 09, 2019, 02:11:10 PM
Purple makes a great point.  Diving into the numbers a little:

CMS went 5-7 against the 4 playoff teams.  In those games, Oxy, CLU, ULV and CU were a combined 95 for 391 for a .243 batting average.
Whittier went 3-9 against the 4 playoff teams.  In those games, Oxy, CLU, ULV and CU were a combined 112 for 396 for a .283 batting average.
Caltech went 2-10 against the 4 playoff teams.  In those games, Oxy, CLU, ULV and CU were a combined 116 for 377 for a .308 batting average.

Oxy, CLU, ULV and CU went 26-10 vs. CMS, Whittier and Caltech, going 323 for 1164 for a .277 batting average.

Per JP's read:
Batting Average
.298- Oxy
.294- Cal Lu
.293- Chapman
.290- La Verne

This leads to the conclusion that these teams hit better against each other (including PP) than against those teams typically considered to be the lower tier.

That's an interesting stat.  (Cue the Stat of the Day sound riff)

Jack Parkman

Chapman rolls through the SCIAC Tournament with outstanding pitching and timely hitting.  Overall, there were some very good pitching performances throughout the tourney.

Chapman had a 0.67 ERA and hit .274 over three games, winning all 3
Cal Lu had a 2.91 ERA and hit .161 over 4 games, going 2 and 2
La Verne had a 2.42 ERA and hit .172 over three games, winning 1 and dropping 2
Oxy had a 1.13 ERA and hit .116 over two games, dropping both.

Chapman is built for a 3 game series with their pitching as they have used the same six pitchers for all but 22.2 innings this year.  This bodes well for them over the regional and super regional format, but the WS is where they could face some challenges.  It will be interesting to see what happens if they drop a game and have to dig deeper into their arms.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 14, 2019, 12:14:01 PM
Chapman rolls through the SCIAC Tournament with outstanding pitching and timely hitting.  Overall, there were some very good pitching performances throughout the tourney.

Chapman is built for a 3 game series with their pitching as they have used the same six pitchers for all but 22.2 innings this year.  This bodes well for them over the regional and super regional format, but the WS is where they could face some challenges.  It will be interesting to see what happens if they drop a game and have to dig deeper into their arms.

I think it would be great to see a SCIAC team get to the WS.  Maybe those three starters are enough to get them deep enough in the winner's bracket, so that they can absorb a later loss and reset the staff.  What concerns me is their hitting - do they have enough when they start seeing some of the top of staff arms that they have not seen before.

Imagine if Chapman had not lost the two guys they lost to the draft and transfer from last year...

Purple Heys

Quote from: Purple Heys on May 14, 2019, 02:07:14 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 14, 2019, 12:14:01 PM

I think it would be great to see a SCIAC team get to the WS.  Maybe those three starters are enough to get them deep enough in the winner's bracket, so that they can absorb a later loss and reset the staff.  What concerns me is their hitting - do they have enough when they start seeing some of the top of staff arms that they have not seen before.

Imagine if Chapman had not lost the two guys they lost to the draft and transfer from last year...

Then again, who's to say that the pitching they will face will actually be any better than they've already seen.

Gray Fox

I hate to be a jinx, but Chapman is in the final series against Birmingham Southern tomorrow.
Fierce When Roused

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Gray Fox on June 03, 2019, 08:19:32 PM
I hate to be a jinx, but Chapman is in the final series against Birmingham Southern tomorrow.
Your posting a similar announcement on the SAA board would be news.  ;-)

Gray Fox

Quote from: Ralph Turner on June 03, 2019, 09:45:04 PM
Quote from: Gray Fox on June 03, 2019, 08:19:32 PM
Your posting a similar announcement on the SAA board would be news.  ;-)
I was going to, but I think the last one was in 2015.  ::)
Fierce When Roused

Purple Heys

Ron Boerger

Big ups to Chapman for representing the SCIAC and the West Region in winning this year's national championship.

Gray Fox

The SCIAC has now won two of the last three championships. :) :)
Fierce When Roused

Ralph Turner

Congrats to Chapman. The Panthers came so close, so many times in the previous decade.

They now have their Walnut and Bronze.

SoCalSoxFan

Quote from: Gray Fox on June 04, 2019, 07:48:35 PM
The SCIAC has now won two of the last three championships. :) :)

Congratulations Chapman players and fans,
As well as all SCIAC followers.

West region continues to dominate World Series!!
As Gray Fox noted, SCIAC has won two of the last three!!