FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: formerd3db on May 07, 2018, 03:04:38 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on May 04, 2018, 02:16:56 PM
Exciting AD news out of C'ville.

So Wally, if you know, why did he decide to leave Western Illinois and DI and a good paying job there (I assume the latter)?  Was it because he just wanted to return to DIII at Wabash and the opportunity finally presented itself? (the article hints at that as being the main reason).

I would be really out of place trying to guess what Matt Tanney's motivations are for leaving WIU and coming to Wabash.  I think the alma mater angle has something to do with it.  I don't know what salary Wabash extends to the AD, so I can't speak to the financial part of the equation.  I am, however, certain that Wabash athletics is better today than it was two or four weeks ago by a significant degree. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

formerd3db

Quote from: wally_wabash on May 07, 2018, 03:41:08 PM
Quote from: formerd3db on May 07, 2018, 03:04:38 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on May 04, 2018, 02:16:56 PM
Exciting AD news out of C'ville.

So Wally, if you know, why did he decide to leave Western Illinois and DI and a good paying job there (I assume the latter)?  Was it because he just wanted to return to DIII at Wabash and the opportunity finally presented itself? (the article hints at that as being the main reason).

I would be really out of place trying to guess what Matt Tanney's motivations are for leaving WIU and coming to Wabash.  I think the alma mater angle has something to do with it.  I don't know what salary Wabash extends to the AD, so I can't speak to the financial part of the equation.  I am, however, certain that Wabash athletics is better today than it was two or four weeks ago by a significant degree.

Fair enough.  Just thought you might have had some "inside info."  I obviously do not know Tanney (although I have heard of him), I do not doubt your opinion about the state of Wabash athletics now, yet while it is better, probably not so i.e. a loss for Western Illinois.  Indeed, $ is not everything...I know this, including that our youngest daughter just left a job at Western Michigan University for one at Hope College!  Surprise, right?!!  :)

Hope all is well with you and yours.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

smedindy

Using public data, our AD at CWU (D-2) made more than Tanney did at WIU.

I doubt if WIU could show him enough money if his heart was set on Wabash.

Dr. Acula

Quote from: smedindy on May 09, 2018, 12:03:28 AM

Would I be incorrect in assuming there is more compliance red tape as you move up divisions?  I just remember when Malone and Walsh were transitioning from NAIA to D2 it was a major administrative shock to the department.  Granted we're talking about the NCAA here so D3 may be just as painful for the admin folks. 

smedindy

Quote from: Dr. Acula on May 10, 2018, 09:43:35 AM
Quote from: smedindy on May 09, 2018, 12:03:28 AM

Would I be incorrect in assuming there is more compliance red tape as you move up divisions?  I just remember when Malone and Walsh were transitioning from NAIA to D2 it was a major administrative shock to the department.  Granted we're talking about the NCAA here so D3 may be just as painful for the admin folks.

Wabash doesn't have Title IX compliance to worry about. I do think eligibility compliance is just as rigid and instead of scholarships, they have to assure that there are no financial benefits to athletes for being athletes.

There have been some D3 schools that have been ensnared in transfer issues in my memory - especially if they weren't eligible at their old institution but would have been eligible at their new school.

sigma one

Since the beginning of the month on its football twitter site, Wabash has rolled out, five players each day, its incoming recruits for 2018.  Each player, his high school, and position is welcomed individually.  This is not all that unusual among Division III classes, even including a short video clip of highlight plays from last season.  The neat feature comes at the end of each clip when the player is expanded to action close up and morphed into an all-red Wabash uniform and helmet.  A total of 69 players have been introduced this far.  There may be a few more.
     Some observations:
                                 *Including Indiana, players come from eight states.  None of the players is from Arizona, a traditional
                                   recruiting territory over the last two decades, and a state that has produced a lot of really good players
                                   for Wabash, including Aaron Lafitte, Billy King, Nate Scola, Van Hunt, Tyler McCullen, Will Certain,
                                   Darryl Kennon, AJ Clark, PJ Hadley, Deonte Simpson, Michael Putko.  Wonder why no one from Arizona?

*The list includes two first-team, all-state linemen from Indiana

*Wabash is obviously searching for a stable, long-term solution at QB.  Although last year's starter
                                   returns, he was at or near the bottom of almost all NCAC statistical categories.  So, nine QBs are
                                   among the recruits, including three from outside Indiana.  Nine is a big number, and figuring out how to
                                   give them enough reps to matter might be a challenge.  But, as we know, high school QBs can end up
                                   at other positions.  I've also heard that a former small-school all state from Indiana enrolled for the spring
                                   semester, transferring from a well-known school in Ohio.                             
                                   One of the QB recruits was last year responsible for 54 TDs, 48 of them passing

I hope fans of other teams in the NCAC will report on their teams' recruits as we endure the long summer leading to football 2018.

Pat Coleman

I heard about this and found it hard to believe that school had any quarterbacks left to transfer out!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sigma one

He was I don't know how far down the depth chart.  But, of course, last year they had three really, really good ones.  Now, they have one--probably.

kdets89

#2 (UMHB), #4 (Walsh) and #5 (Wabash) transferred at mid-year.  #3 was a senior.  #1/6/7 remain, with a mid-year transfer-in.

ohiofan1954

Question for Wittenberg fans. Does anyone have an idea of the starting time for the Denison game?  I know it is in Granville but I can't seem to get an answer out of Denison.

wally_wabash

Quote from: ohiofan1954 on May 20, 2018, 11:47:12 AM
Question for Wittenberg fans. Does anyone have an idea of the starting time for the Denison game?  I know it is in Granville but I can't seem to get an answer out of Denison.

It looks like that is Big Red Weekend at Denison so they're probably figuring out when in the weekend program the game fits best.  Denison will have a good squad this year and you could definitely make that game the centerpiece of the weekend.  I'd bet a nickel that it will be a night game. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

ohiofan1954

Quote from: wally_wabash on May 21, 2018, 08:36:53 AM

It looks like that is Big Red Weekend at Denison so they're probably figuring out when in the weekend program the game fits best.  Denison will have a good squad this year and you could definitely make that game the centerpiece of the weekend.  I'd bet a nickel that it will be a night game.
I'm hoping you are correct on the game time. I am going to a game in Athens in the afternoon and would hate to miss this one.

wally_wabash

D3Football.com Preseason Top 25 is in the wild.  Some good league representation.  Witt opens at #14. Wabash is in the ORV group.  And DePauw is in the ORVLTW group (Others Receiving Votes Less Than Wabash). 

Allegheny's non-league opponent, RPI, is at #25, so an early chance there for the Gators to raise some eyebrows.   

MUC57

Wally Wabash and all other Little Giant fans

On September 1, Mount Union opens the season against Rose-Hulman. It's a night game, starting at 7:00 PM. On that same day, Hiram plays host to some school named Wabash at 1:00 in the afternoon. Since Hiram is a short drive from Alliance, I plan on going to both games. OK! You're all wondering, so what? Why is he telling us? Who cares?
Well, since you asked. Are any of you going to the game? No, no! Not the Mount game, the other game. I would love to meet some of the people I have chatted with on this board, like Wally. I would just like to meet anybody from Wabash. I always make it a point to talk to people from "the other team"! After all, you have a pretty good team that is capable of beating anyone. Overall, it seems like you have a strong program that is well established and has been for years.
So, if you plan on coming, let me know. You can post on this board. I'll keep checking here. I truly love Dlll football and enjoy talking to any one associated with any of our great teams (and also the not so great teams).
Would love to hear from you. I'll be the old guy wearing a Raiders hat, carrying a Raiders seat cushion. I should stand out at a Hiram - Wabash game. (Is that good?)
In closing, let me say - Go Terriers. Go Little Giants. Go Raiders. And as I often say on the other boards, oh hell, Go Everybody. Best to our teams on the season. ☠🏈

Also, the other boards know - I'm old. I get mixed up and I forget things.
Noroc! (That's cheers in Romanian)
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

bowwowindy!

Quote from: ohiofan1954 on May 21, 2018, 05:00:33 PM
Quote from: wally_wabash on May 21, 2018, 08:36:53 AM

I'm hoping you are correct on the game time. I am going to a game in Athens in the afternoon and would hate to miss this one.
1 o'clock start time according to an updated Witt schedule.