MBB: MAC Freedom League

Started by ljk, March 14, 2005, 09:28:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCHoopster

Interesting. Definitely talent there in their top two players but they lost to DVU by double digits who then beat a fully healthy Eastern. The two players on their team Cobbs and Smith are in the top handful in the league. Both are tremendous. But until they beat someone, I can't move them past the top 4 at least. I can see for some others.

CCHoopster

Quote from: CCHoopster on December 19, 2018, 05:36:07 PM
Interesting. Definitely talent there in their top two players but they lost to DVU by double digits who then beat a fully healthy Eastern. The two players on their team Cobbs and Smith are in the top handful in the league. Both are tremendous. But until they beat someone, I can't move them past the top 4 at least. I can see for some others.

To add, i don't think DVU is a great team, or even a very good team. Average with upside and equal downside. But H2H for me regarding Manhattanville.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: CCHoopster on December 19, 2018, 04:01:02 PM
Quote from: CCHoopster on December 19, 2018, 11:56:02 AM
Quote from: CCHoopster on December 11, 2018, 09:20:13 PM
Bored here at work. My rankings of Freedom teams through two games:

1- Wilkes
2- Eastern
3- DeSales
4- DVU
5- Miser
6- FDU
7- Mville
8- Kings

Some changes here. On social media it looks as if Eastern All Conference Center V. Pena May be done for the season. Any news here? Wishing the best for this senior. DeSales and Wilkes both had big wins last night.

Wilkes
DeSales
Del Val
Eastern
FDU
Misericordia
Manhattanville
Kings

Tonight:

Misericordia at Wesley College: Wesley 87 Misericordia 79

Del Val home vs Bryn Athyn: DVU 79 BA 71

Good win for Misericordia. Their center looks to be having some good games.

I still have DelVal at 5th, but Ronk couldn't have meant moving Manhattanville up to 3rd. DelVal beat them head to head so they have to be behind, at least, Wilkes, DeSales, Misericordia (depsite the record) and DelVal. I also still think Eastern is better than them, even without Pena if that is the case. I've heard nothing about the injury being season ending.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: CCHoopster on December 19, 2018, 05:36:07 PM

Spot on CC. You can't put Manhattanville ahead of DelVal at this point, since they beat them head to head and it wasn't a one point game either. They are also behind Wilkes and DeSales and a healthy Misericordia team beats them. A fully healthy Eastern team is also better than Manhattanville. Heck, I'll take FDU, at FDU (where they beat Misericordia) to beat Manhattanville. The only teams, this early in the season, that I can definitively place Manhattanville in front of are King's and FDU. Manhattanville is Smith and Cobbs..........and three other guys.

CCHoopster

Ok, A few things have begun to shake  out.

1- DeSales is terrific.
2- Eastern can still beat anyone
3- Wilkes isn't who they were last night. BAD loss.
4- Misericordia is going to be up and down all year but will be really good at home.
5- Del Val is not as good as I thought they could be. They'll need Mis or Eastern to falter to make the 4 seed.
6- Kings grabbed people's attention last night. No easy task beating them there.
7- Manhattanville just can't win. Two all league guys who have no help.
8- FDU has no depth and get a pass with a first year coach. Although if you beat Mis you need to raise the expectations and win some more games. There's some talent there, not enough.

Playoff projection

1- DeSaes
2- Wilkes
3- Misericordia
4- Eastern
———

DVU
Kings
MVille
FDU

Saturday's projections:

Wilkes 86 FDU 67 (Friday)
DeSales 85 Mis 78
Kings 79 Del Val 72
Eastern 91 Manhattanville 78

lefty2

Quote from: CCHoopster on January 17, 2019, 10:00:45 AM

1- DeSales is terrific.
4- Misericordia is going to be up and down all year but will be really good at home.
5- Del Val is not as good as I thought they could be. They'll need Mis or Eastern to falter to make the 4 seed.
6- Kings grabbed people's attention last night. No easy task beating them there.
8- FDU has no depth and get a pass with a first year coach. Although if you beat Mis you need to raise the expectations and win some more games. There's some talent there, not enough.

Playoff projection

1- DeSaes
2- Wilkes
3- Misericordia
4- Eastern
———

DVU
Kings
MVille
FDU

Saturday's projections:

DeSales 85 Mis 78
Kings 79 Del Val 72
FDU-Florham has beaten Misericordia at FDU three of the last four years and this year's game was coach Slanovec's first game coaching against his alma mater.
The person who says something can't be done shouldn't stand in the way of the one who's doing it.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: CCHoopster on January 17, 2019, 10:00:45 AM

1- DeSales is terrific.

Playoff projection

1- DeSaes
2- Wilkes
3- Misericordia
4- Eastern
———

DVU
Kings
MVille
FDU

Saturday's projections:

DeSales 85 Mis 78
Kings 79 Del Val 72

I have no idea how you thought DelVal was anywhere near a "not as good as I thought they could be". I had them in a battle to finish 5/6. DeSales has several multi-year starters (Connaghan, Simscik) and they pulled off their annual "higher level transfer" in Kalcheris from D2 Bloomsburg. Kid is a stud. Wilkes is very mature, with Robinson having started all four years, Evans seeing a lot of time since his freshman year (with Robinson) and Pecorelli, Bowen and Mullins all experienced players. Misericordia has the mother load back from last year, including the MAC's best player (Kenny) and a mid-season transfer from higher level Pace University, Iton. Eastern has a bunch of older players and brought in a man (size AND age, 28 year old Bowlers) this year. DelVal has two kids who were forced to play a lot as freshmen (Washington and Robinson), Matsinaye, another starter this year who sat out all last year with an injury (Ciaunclii), a 6'3" tall Butler who is a 2/3, playing the 5 as they have zero height/bulk combo and no bench to speak of due to their 6'6" (Russell) getting hurt early in the year and not on the roster, losing PG Britton to SUNY Purchase, their 6'6" 2/3 from last year, Chabot and an illness to Singleton. If they grab a four seed, I will buy you a root beer (I don't drink) and say that I was wrong. The DelVal coach has to have an all world recruiting season that includes ready-to-play size and athelticism. Misericordia and Eastern lose a lot, as does Wilkes. DeSales losing almost nothing. DelVal could be back in the playoff mix if their coach is able to nab a few solid freshmen and a transfer or two, like DeSales did with Kachelris and Misericordia did with Iton (6'6" and can sky). I will slot Stevens in the top four most years, King's has a few big bodies this year. I was stunned what they did to a healthy Wilkes squad this week. The FDU coach will be a better recruiter but it's going to take time.  I'll pencil DeSales, Stevens and Misericordia somewhere in the top four in most years, with everybody else battling it out to grab the other open spot. It's not the X's and the O's....................it's the Jimmie's and the Joe's. Having had a nephew recently recruited by several MAC (and non-MAC schools), those near the top year in and year out are much more free spending with the financial packages than some of the others. DeSales and Eastern will always have an inherent advantage (and now Stevens as well) in the MAC Freedom when it comes to aid as they are the three schools (out of the 8) who do not have a football program and do not have to come up with packages for 125-150 students athletes. Several AD buddies of mine said that it is a massive difference given that D3 football programs are expense eaters given the tiny revenue that comes from playing 4 or 5 home games a year. It is what it is and will always hurt, to some extent, the MAC schools that offer football, relative to those who don't. Several have/are looking into football. All have decided (so far) to take a pass due to expenses and what it can do to other programs (splitting the aid pie), along with the whole Title IX situation.

CCHoopster

1/19 Makeup games results last night:

Wilkes 96 FDU 53
Eastern 88 Manhattanville 77
Del Val 84 Kings 73
DeSales at Misericordia rescheduled 1/28/19

1/23 predictions: two big games in the standings

Eastern 78 at DeSales 86

Del Val 72 at Wilkes 88

FDU 71 at Manhattanville 83

Misericordia 79 at Kings 67

kate

By no means a basketball guru here, but the Del Val guys looked pretty good last night in their home game with King's.   A real test will be tomorrow night up at Wilkes!    Go Aggies!

kate

Defense could have been a tad better, but a good win last night for the Del Val Aggies on the road, 99 to 90 against Wilkes.

CCHoopster

I watched a tad bit of this game. Tip of the hat to the Aggies. Quite the turnaround going on from a year ago. If Wilkes doesn't get 4 and1's and hit 3 maybe 4 three's in the final 4/5 minutes that games not close.

Also, very impressed with Eastern. What a terrific win. I'm not surprised at DeSales jumping out to a strong start this year. I'm more surprised that Eastern is winning without Pena.... and even more/most surprised with Del Val.

Saturday Games:

DeSales 85 Kings 74
Wilkes 78 Eastern 75
Del Val 76 Manhattanville 70
Misericordia 92 FDU 76

Monday Snow make up:

DeSales 81 Misericordia 73

CCHoopster

Really impressed with Eastern. With wins over DeSales, Wilkes and Misericordia in the last week they may be the team to beat.

CCHoopster

Quote from: CCHoopster on January 26, 2019, 10:59:27 PM
Really impressed with Eastern. With wins over DeSales, Wilkes and Misericordia in the last week they may be the team to beat.

Fairly important game tonight. Moreso for Misericordia fighting to keep their playoff hopes alive. A win for DeSales keeps them atop the standings by themselves. A loss for Misericordia puts them behind Wilkes in 5th (Wilkes has tie breaker). Misericordia then travels to Delaware Valley on Wednesday.

Playoff projection:

1- DeSales
2- Eastern
3- Wilkes
4- Del Val
——————
5- Mis

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Hoopsville Marathon Show ... is tomorrow!

Tune in starting at 12:00 p.m. ET as we talk to guests from around the country about nothing but #d3hoops.

It is all about celebrating the season, student-athletes, coaches, and an exciting season.

For more information, click here: http://bit.ly/2HGx0N3

We will share more about the show a little later.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CCHoopster

Tonight's Games:

DeSales 81 FDU 67
Eastern 74 Kings 67
Misericordia 78 Del Val 72
Wilkes 86 Manhattanville 79

I can't see DeSales and Eastern not finishing 1 and 2. 3rd and 4th see between Del Val Wilkes and Misericordia will come down to the last day of the year.