FB: American Southwest Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLU02SA

Quote from: DFWCrufan on October 13, 2018, 04:53:52 PM
UMHB V. HPU - Nice quiet no damage game for either side, I appreciate HPU not getting chippy and just playing a good game. The Cru were simply running simple and smooth plays coming out with no one hurt which is great. Luke looked solid, but then again all three Qbs are solid.

But I wanted to talk about TLU!!!! Bulldogs you pulled out a great game... 21 to 21 with 14 seconds left, TLU drives down to the 3 yrd line and Matthews delivers! for the TLU Win! Good on ya Bulldogs.

+1K!  Way to go TLU!!!! I have to admit that I have not watched the game.  Kids and family obligations prevented me from watching the game today.  Watching the Bulldogs this season has been a joy!  They play hard. They don't give up.  They use their talent well.  I am looking forward to watching this game on delay especially knowing the outcome.

TLU02SA

ETBU brought out two empty jerseys during the coin toss.  Can someone give us some background as to why?  I am assuming this is for unfortunate circumstances but want to make sure appropriate respects are given.

CowboyAlum261

I'm shocked that a 5-1 TLU isn't getting any votes in the poll. This week TLU @ HSU has me really concerned, HSU did not play well at all against Sul Ross, and TLU looks like they will be really confident coming into Abilene. It certainly seems that if  HSU plays next week like we did yesterday, we will be kissing our playoff dreams goodbye...

HSUCowboy2015

Quote from: umhb2001 on October 13, 2018, 10:20:34 PM
UMHB is in the driver's seat. With some time to fine tune, they should be able to take care of business, rest the #1's hopefully, and shore up that home field advantage.

I would love to see Luke get the start this week against Belhaven and perhaps next week against McMurry. I wouldn't mind seeing HSU lose again so that we can get some different teams in Crusader stadium. That would be nice.

Hopefully, we can play the rest of the games without injury and go into the playoffs at full strength.

Yeah because Chapman, St. Thomas, and Brockport weren't new faces last year. Lol
Stay Purple

HSUCowboy2015

Quote from: CowboyAlum261 on October 14, 2018, 06:09:14 PM
I'm shocked that a 5-1 TLU isn't getting any votes in the poll. This week TLU @ HSU has me really concerned, HSU did not play well at all against Sul Ross, and TLU looks like they will be really confident coming into Abilene. It certainly seems that if  HSU plays next week like we did yesterday, we will be kissing our playoff dreams goodbye...

Agreed. If you look at the stats SRSU outplayed us. Only difference was that we played as a team with goal vs a bunch of individuals. We now have a book on us thanks to UMHB and again a week later we did not adjust offensively. The only reason we were able to score was because of our athletes. Stats look good, but I think three of our scores were on the inside pitch to a receiver that counts as a "pass". We better come out playing Saturday, because TLU is the real deal.
Stay Purple

DFWCrufan

Well to be honest it looks like SCIAC may turn upside down with Claremont-Mudd-Scripps taking the conference, that would be a new look. Just like it looks like Whitworth will probably take the NWC this year by their victory over Linfield, a few new names and faces showing up in the mix. That could actually spell a decent run for HSU should they get a pool C and for instance have a round one with Whitworth or the SCIAC champ... Who knows we still have half a season.. looking too far ahead and crazy things can happen... imagine a LC giving UMHB a game??? We still face LC and ETBU
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

DFWCrufan

Quote from: HSUAlum255 on October 14, 2018, 08:42:14 PM

Agreed. If you look at the stats SRSU outplayed us. Only difference was that we played as a team with goal vs a bunch of individuals. We now have a book on us thanks to UMHB and again a week later we did not adjust offensively. The only reason we were able to score was because of our athletes. Stats look good, but I think three of our scores were on the inside pitch to a receiver that counts as a "pass". We better come out playing Saturday, because TLU is the real deal.

I don't know about the SRSU and HSU game, the one I saw, in the second half the cowboys came out a different side and handled the field, hell, ya'll dominated it outright and finished strong. Nothing wrong with the cowboys that I saw, just a sleepy first half. I see (If I am right) a probable pool C and possibly a first round with Whitworth... I know we are on the Texas island chain but we did see HSU go to Linfield first round in the past.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

HSUCowboy2015

Quote from: DFWCrufan on October 14, 2018, 08:50:15 PM

I don't know about the SRSU and HSU game, the one I saw, in the second half the cowboys came out a different side and handled the field, hell, ya'll dominated it outright and finished strong. Nothing wrong with the cowboys that I saw, just a sleepy first half. I see (If I am right) a probable pool C and possibly a first round with Whitworth... I know we are on the Texas island chain but we did see HSU go to Linfield first round in the past.

Haha I might be being a little to critical. Besides UMHB I am used to us dominating the conference and Sul Ross is winless. We gave up over 200 yards rushing though and a little over 200 passing, thats not ideal. We are missing a go to guy in the backfield as well, Zai Zai is great but hes too slow to the hole. I want us to give some more carries to Kevin Johnson. Hes a great back that has good vision. We're without Jaquan for another week I think.
Stay Purple

umhb2001

Quote from: HSUAlum255 on October 14, 2018, 07:42:32 PM
Quote from: umhb2001 on October 13, 2018, 10:20:34 PM
UMHB is in the driver's seat. With some time to fine tune, they should be able to take care of business, rest the #1's hopefully, and shore up that home field advantage.

I would love to see Luke get the start this week against Belhaven and perhaps next week against McMurry. I wouldn't mind seeing HSU lose again so that we can get some different teams in Crusader stadium. That would be nice.

Hopefully, we can play the rest of the games without injury and go into the playoffs at full strength.

Yeah because Chapman, St. Thomas, and Brockport weren't new faces last year. Lol

I see you've only been a member and posting since 2017. For a lot of us HSU/UMHB posters, we remember a time when HSU and UMHB faced each other to start the playoffs every year. I'd still like to skip that matchup if possible. So, it's nothing personal, I just like to see new teams from around the DIII universe.
Watch out for the wreckingCRU defense!!

Ralph Turner

Right now, I think that HSU will go to Whitworth and CMS will come to UMHB... but who knows.

justafan12

While some may have liked the way the UMHB/HPU game went as someone who watched the game I was highly embarrassed for the HPU players.  Not by how they played but from their coaches.  From late in the 2nd quarter and the entire second half, HPU threw 1 pass (and that was a bubble screen).  All others plays were runs in an attempt to run the clock out and not let UMHB score.  And most of the runs were the same play, hand the ball off up the middle.

I know some may say well the game was already over and lets just get it over but IMO, the kids want to play!!!!!  I personally would rather get beat 100-0 knowing that I TRIED than getting beat 50-0 and I played not to get run over.  Not sure if this decision was made by the HC or the OC but that is not how the game is to be played in my opinion. 

The players practice all week going over a game plan and trying to get better and to then have the coaches just say well lets just get it over is truly a disservice to the team.  If that is your game plan then why practice?  The reserves finally get some decent playing time and all they did was basically one play.  I am sure on one hand the running backs like it but on the other hand they did become a sacrificial lamb.

HSUDAD

We played terrible the first half no doubt about that, but I actually did see us make some adjustments at half, not necessarily adjusting to their defense, but adjusting in that we got two players more involved (Hammonds and Evans) in the second half.  We moved Hammonds to RB (he is a receiver) and you could immediately tell a difference with how quick he hit the holes.  As you mentioned Evans two scores came off of the inside pitch (that counts as a pass, haha), but that is a MAJOR adjustment to what we had been doing.  Childress has been our guy for that play (although one of his scores was still on that play), it was refreshing to see them use him as a decoy taking two defensive players deep opening up a lot of room for the speedster Evans.  I was so frustrated (well one of the many times, haha) in the UMHB game, Childress would line up tighter and everyone in the stadium knew what play was coming, the UMHB backer was alerting the entire other side of the field that Childress was coming, and we would still run it... ::)  One of Hammonds scores also came off of a wrinkle from that play in which they faked the pitch to Childress drawing the backer and safety up and Hammonds ran right by them for the TD, it was Hooper's longest pass play.  I suspect that Hammonds gets more reps at RB this week which can only be beneficial, I absolutely love Zai Zai he just doesn't quite hit the holes like Hemphill and now Hammonds.  I would also like to see us get Milsap more involved in the offense, his kick returns have been dynamic.

I will say this for SR, you mentioned them playing as individuals, my kid said this is the first SR team in four years that were not a bunch of jerks on the field (although he did say their coaches were....well  I will just be nice and not say anything at all like my grandpa taught me, lol....

As for TLU, it is going to be one heck of a game.  I am certain they will come in foaming at the mouth, and we cannot have a start like we did Saturday against SR.   

crufootball

Quote from: TLU02SA on October 14, 2018, 12:03:54 AM
ETBU brought out two empty jerseys during the coin toss.  Can someone give us some background as to why?  I am assuming this is for unfortunate circumstances but want to make sure appropriate respects are given.

Went back and watched the ETBU broadcast of the game and the radio guys said it was in memory of the two players that sadly drowned back in 2016. The players Darrian "D.J." McClintock and Norvontre "Tre" Harrison would have been seniors this year and the commentators talked as if carrying the jersey was something they had done frequently.

CowboyAlum261

Quote from: HSUDAD on October 15, 2018, 09:58:29 AM

We played terrible the first half no doubt about that, but I actually did see us make some adjustments at half, not necessarily adjusting to their defense, but adjusting in that we got two players more involved (Hammonds and Evans) in the second half.  We moved Hammonds to RB (he is a receiver) and you could immediately tell a difference with how quick he hit the holes.  As you mentioned Evans two scores came off of the inside pitch (that counts as a pass, haha), but that is a MAJOR adjustment to what we had been doing.  Childress has been our guy for that play (although one of his scores was still on that play), it was refreshing to see them use him as a decoy taking two defensive players deep opening up a lot of room for the speedster Evans.  I was so frustrated (well one of the many times, haha) in the UMHB game, Childress would line up tighter and everyone in the stadium knew what play was coming, the UMHB backer was alerting the entire other side of the field that Childress was coming, and we would still run it... ::)  One of Hammonds scores also came off of a wrinkle from that play in which they faked the pitch to Childress drawing the backer and safety up and Hammonds ran right by them for the TD, it was Hooper's longest pass play.  I suspect that Hammonds gets more reps at RB this week which can only be beneficial, I absolutely love Zai Zai he just doesn't quite hit the holes like Hemphill and now Hammonds.  I would also like to see us get Milsap more involved in the offense, his kick returns have been dynamic.

I will say this for SR, you mentioned them playing as individuals, my kid said this is the first SR team in four years that were not a bunch of jerks on the field (although he did say their coaches were....well  I will just be nice and not say anything at all like my grandpa taught me, lol....

As for TLU, it is going to be one heck of a game.  I am certain they will come in foaming at the mouth, and we cannot have a start like we did Saturday against SR.
I went back and watched the game closely today, and I will say it looks like there has been an emphasis on getting the ball out faster. That will be paramount going forward. We have got to get Kevi Evans on the field more, he can take a 2 yard pass 99 yards in a second, and we need every player that can do that on the field as much as possible. Defensively, we've got to manufacture some pressure this week, if Grona gets as much time as the SR QB did we will be on big trouble. But really most of SR's scores came on big plays or on short fields, we played well on 90% of the plays, just got killed on the 10% that SR was successful.

HSUDAD

Quote from: CowboyAlum261 on October 15, 2018, 06:07:23 PM
Quote from: HSUDAD on October 15, 2018, 09:58:29 AM

I went back and watched the game closely today, and I will say it looks like there has been an emphasis on getting the ball out faster. That will be paramount going forward. We have got to get Kevi Evans on the field more, he can take a 2 yard pass 99 yards in a second, and we need every player that can do that on the field as much as possible. Defensively, we've got to manufacture some pressure this week, if Grona gets as much time as the SR QB did we will be on big trouble. But really most of SR's scores came on big plays or on short fields, we played well on 90% of the plays, just got killed on the 10% that SR was successful.

I completely agree on Kevi, I would like to see a receiver combination of Childress, Sandoval, Milsap and Hammonds/Evans (one at RB one at WR, until Hemphill returns of course).  However I know there is a lot more that goes into personnel besides speed, understanding plays, blocking, etc.  As for the defense, I did notice against SR, we pressured him very very little, which hasn't been consistent with other games this season.  Early thoughts on TLU, I think we are going to have to be able to throw the football, especially with our run game a question mark as of late.  I would be interested to hear some analysis from the Cru faithful and the few ETBU members since they have faced both us and TLU.