Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AO

Quote from: me on January 12, 2018, 02:33:51 PM
But saying small school in small town is a little misleading. They're just outside suburban range of Charlotte. Easy, peasey drive from Charlotte. Been a long time since I've been there, but I'm assuming it's still a nice area as it was then.
I stand by my 30 seconds of google maps research.  Hour from downtown Charlotte not including traffic, half hour from the suburbs.  That's far enough to meet people who go to the big city once a year or less. 

warriorcat

I lived in the Lake Norman region (Davidson and Cornelius) of North Carolina for seventeen years and worked at a school in Concord (home of Lowe's Motor Speedway) about 30 minutes from Misenheimer.  It is a very small town well off the beaten path.  It will be interesting how they will fare athletically without benefit of scholarships.  Their present roster has only 5 local kids (4 freshman who have not played a minute) on a 26 person roster.

gordonmann

Two points of clarification:

1) Pfeiffer isn't eligible for our poll because they are reclassifying. Voters couldn't vote for them if they wanted to. None of the transitional or reclassifying members are eligible. Sorry guys -- (full)membership has its privileges.

2) As the poll administrator, I want voters who can give an informed perspective on the top 25 teams in the country. I'm less interested in whether they can predict the winners for mid or low level teams, especially those outside their region. I don't care how many people who can tell me who's going to win that game between Del Val and FDU-Florham eight days from now.

That said, I've enjoyed the conversation, appreciation me's perspective and would have no problem with any voter leaning heavily on Massy when casting their vote. I personally lean toward the data analysis side and am more inclined to say, "Show me what's true with numbers. Don't just tell me why you think something is true."  That's hard to do with a poll, though, and I try with varying levels of success to keep an open mind to alternate approaches.

WUPHF

You mean pfull-membership?

Sorry, I will never make that joke ever again.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: AO on January 12, 2018, 03:01:36 PM
Hour from downtown Charlotte not including traffic, half hour from the suburbs.  That's far enough to meet people who go to the big city once a year or less.

So, like Crown?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AO

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 12, 2018, 04:14:04 PM
Hour from downtown Charlotte not including traffic, half hour from the suburbs.  That's far enough to meet people who go to the big city once a year or less.

So, like Crown?
That's a pretty fair comparison.  If you don't have a car at Crown I'm sure you feel like you're in the middle of nowhere.

smedindy

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 12, 2018, 04:14:04 PM

So, like Crown?

I remember when I drove by the Crown turnoff on MN5  the first time, I thought, "Who the heck would put a college HERE?" I know lots of colleges are in small towns, but Crown's just out there.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm pretty sure the general consensus was simply that Massey isn't as reliable until it has more data.  I'm pretty sure that's how every numerical system works, right?  Some people may be more inclined to trust the numbers earlier, but I don't think it's out of the question for people to doubt a statistical model that's lacking its full complement of data.

I've always thought Massey was pretty accurate (or at least as accurate as possible) by the end of February and while I do think it overrates some of the MN/WI teams early in the season, I also believe it's justified in doing so based on the data.

I was more objecting to the notion that people are somehow ignorant if they're unwilling to trust an incomplete statistical model.  It's a pretty obnoxious contention.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'll also point out there is a fantasy board wherein regular viewers of d3 basketball attempt to pick a 10 game slate of games each week.  I doubt it would be too hard for someone to go back and add Massey's predictive record to the comparison.

me

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 12, 2018, 05:08:11 PM

I'll also point out there is a fantasy board wherein regular viewers of d3 basketball attempt to pick a 10 game slate of games each week.  I doubt it would be too hard for someone to go back and add Massey's predictive record to the comparison.

You're cherry picking at that point though.

me

Quote from: me on January 12, 2018, 02:33:51 PM
But saying small school in small town is a little misleading. They're just outside suburban range of Charlotte. Easy, peasey drive from Charlotte. Been a long time since I've been there, but I'm assuming it's still a nice area as it was then.
I stand by my 30 seconds of google maps research.  Hour from downtown Charlotte not including traffic, half hour from the suburbs.  That's far enough to meet people who go to the big city once a year or less.

Sounds ideal to me if I'm a kid, though. Far enough that you're generally away from the parents, close enough that you can take your laundry home once a month. :)

It's an hour from Winston Salem and Greensboro too. I know some schools that would like to be within an hour of one city that size, let alone 2 plus a much larger one.

me

Quote from: gordonmann on January 12, 2018, 03:30:40 PM
Two points of clarification:

1) Pfeiffer isn't eligible for our poll because they are reclassifying. Voters couldn't vote for them if they wanted to. None of the transitional or reclassifying members are eligible. Sorry guys -- (full)membership has its privileges.

I agree. That's why i said it the way I did about them playing a D3 schedule (kind of), not "in D3". I don't think they should be eligible. But someone earlier acted like they were unduly highly ranked in Massey, and I don't think that's true at all. if anything they're probably underranked.

me

Williams beaten by a mediocre performance by Tufts. Hamilton about to stay undefeated with a win over higher-ranked Wesleyan.

Looks like everything is coming good for me.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: me on January 12, 2018, 08:58:59 PM
Williams beaten by a mediocre performance by Tufts. Hamilton about to stay undefeated with a win over higher-ranked Wesleyan.

Williams is in free fall and Tufts is on the rise.  Six point loss at Hamilton for two teams that are pretty even.  Sounds like pretty typical, expected results to me.

Bucket

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 12, 2018, 11:11:58 PM
Quote from: me on January 12, 2018, 08:58:59 PM

Williams is in free fall and Tufts is on the rise.  Six point loss at Hamilton for two teams that are pretty even.  Sounds like pretty typical, expected results to me.

Williams is in freefall? Winners of 6 of 8 and 3 of last 4 including loss to Tufts. Just moved up in the rankings to #4 before Tufts game. I don't follow...