MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on January 21, 2018, 11:37:03 AM
In a bit of fun news, W&L's win over H-SC at Fleet yesterday was the first win at H-SC since 1997. Yep, almost 21 years of futility.
Wow, 21 years ... Clemson at Chapel Hill is still intact, however.

guest323

Who are the biggest surprises both positive and negative in the Odac?

hasanova

Quote from: guest323 on January 21, 2018, 10:59:57 PM
Who are the biggest surprises both positive and negative in the- Odac?
I think most fans knew E&H would be good, but perhaps not 16-1, 8-0 good.  I also think W&L has exceeded preseason predictions at 7-1.

On the flip side, preseason favorite Guilford has been up and down at 9-8, 5-3.  HSC has also somewhat underperformed what most OCAC observers usually expect from the Tigers at 1-7.

Swish3

Quote from: rmc1982 on January 20, 2018, 10:06:14 AM
Quote from: tigerfan on January 19, 2018, 10:11:42 AM
rmc1982, did you delete your post about H-SC basketball out of pity?  It was not inaccurate.
I did so because I woke up and thought better of it and out of respect for my HSC friends I took it off.... I know it was accurate but this wasn't probably the best place to say that.... I know that you guys see what we see and it's really a shame... they did look like they quit and that just isn't the HSC basketball I have come to respect over the years... We do hope that you get your problems ironed out ... The rivalry is ALOT more fun when you're at your best... Unfortunately it may be time for Dee Vick to go.... I watch Tony Shavers at William and Mary- he wins there and that's just as hard to sell to a kid as HSC.... you need another Tony!

I'm certain that recruiting at W&M is much tougher than doing so at H-SC...Shaver's done a great job at W&M, which shows how good of a coach he is, obviously.

jknezek

Quote from: hasanova on January 22, 2018, 12:29:39 AM
Quote from: guest323 on January 21, 2018, 10:59:57 PM
Who are the biggest surprises both positive and negative in the- Odac?
I think most fans knew E&H would be good, but perhaps not 16-1, 8-0 good.  I also think W&L has exceeded preseason predictions at 7-1.

On the flip side, preseason favorite Guilford has been up and down at 9-8, 5-3.  HSC has also somewhat underperformed what most OCAC observers usually expect from the Tigers at 1-7.

E&H was picked 4th preseason, W&L 7th. I'd say both are surprises at this point. In my opinion Guilford (preseason 1) is the surprise to the downside so far, though with only 3 conference losses it's not like they've fallen off a cliff. HSC was picked 8th, so not much was expected of them this year, though 1-7 is below what was likely considered. Really though, 1 game either direction changes things for most of these teams versus expectations.

hasanova

Congratulations to E&H on your first national ranking ... #21.  Now, let's see if that target on your back gets heavy.  All kidding aside, you've earned it.

jknezek

In news I didn't know but probably should have, W&L is going to start redoing the entire indoor athletic facility building. Apparently the Warner center is going to be taken down to the foundation and rebuilt over the next 2 years. With the new natatorium across campus, there will no longer be a pool in the new facility, with extra space being devoted to other teams/intramurals/fitness facilities, and coaches offices in the building. A new multi-purpose court will be added just for intramurals, the wrestling room is almost being doubled, as is the fitness and weight room, and the squash and racquetball courts will be brought to regulation size.

On the downside, for the next two seasons, I believe volleyball and both basketball programs will be playing on temporary courts at the indoor tennis facility. Not sure where wrestling will be temporarily housed.

I believe this will complete the entire overhaul of athletic facilities at W&L. I do not believe a single facility will have been left untouched, with the possible exception of the indoor tennis courts, since the mid 2000s. The indoor tennis facility was completed in 1997.

tigerFanAlso2

Hasa

The E&H coach is a HSC man and he has done an assume job in a very short period of time. E&H was absolutely awful when he arrived

hasanova

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on January 23, 2018, 02:31:56 PM
Hasa

The E&H coach is a HSC man and he has done an assume job in a very short period of time. E&H was absolutely awful when he arrived
Yeah, I knew he was from HSC.  I remember E&H before ... he has, as you say, done an awesome job to take the Wasps to this level.  I saw the Wasps play at GC and they are, in a word, good.

y_jack_lok

In tonight's games the only four teams with winning records in conference all play teams with losing records. The two .500 teams also play teams with losing records. So, if the top six win it creates even more separation.

rmc1982

Quote from: Swish3 on January 22, 2018, 08:50:54 AM
Quote from: rmc1982 on January 20, 2018, 10:06:14 AM
Quote from: tigerfan on January 19, 2018, 10:11:42 AM
rmc1982, did you delete your post about H-SC basketball out of pity?  It was not inaccurate.
I did so because I woke up and thought better of it and out of respect for my HSC friends I took it off.... I know it was accurate but this wasn't probably the best place to say that.... I know that you guys see what we see and it's really a shame... they did look like they quit and that just isn't the HSC basketball I have come to respect over the years... We do hope that you get your problems ironed out ... The rivalry is ALOT more fun when you're at your best... Unfortunately it may be time for Dee Vick to go.... I watch Tony Shavers at William and Mary- he wins there and that's just as hard to sell to a kid as HSC.... you need another Tony!

I'm certain that recruiting at W&M is much tougher than doing so at H-SC...Shaver's done a great job at W&M, which shows how good of a coach he is, obviously.
[/b]
I'm not so sure about that...looks pretty equal to me... W & M is a D1 school with FULL scholarships which makes it a GOOD sell to parents - even with the tough academic standards school is FREE if you can get in and stay in!. H-SC on the other hand ALSO has tough academic standards and NO GIRLS-Plus no athletic aid technically-and  you have to be a pretty good student to get aid, also- No matter what you HSC guys say its a whole lot more fun when there's lots of young ladies around! :P ;D ;) ;)... My youngest son goes there( yes he does!) and although he likes it thats the one thing he doesent like- .......Its a whole lot more fun running across CAMPUS to see your GF that running to another school or home to her! ;) ;)
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

tigerFanAlso2

How did you allow your Son attend HSC ? Pretty cool stuff. Just don't go to a basketball game there unless you want to see really bad b'ball.

Seatfiller

Tonight's games...any predictions?

EMH at Randolph

EMU at Randolph Macon

RC vs W and L

BC vs SU

Lynchburg at Guilford

Most of these will be competitive games.

rmc1982

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on January 24, 2018, 01:55:19 PM
How did you allow your Son attend HSC ? Pretty cool stuff. Just don't go to a basketball game there unless you want to see really bad b'ball.
I see it A LOT! I have HSC friends whose kids go to RMC...my room mate at RMC Rob Stanley, lives and grew up in Farmville and actually does color commentary for HSC Football on the radio. My son's mom and I divorced when he was smaller and i think she nudged him that way a little just to get under my skin- but that never bothered me- wherever hes happy is cool with me...The AD at his HS is also a HSC Athletic Hall of Famer -Dale Marks. RMC was after him to play baseball ( as was HSC) and hes not even playing- although he would be a VERY good DIII Baseball player...Just wanted to focus on Academics...boasts a 3.87 GPA in a Pre-Engineering program...he should be at Va Tech or UVA in an engineering program but he says he likes it at HSC...and he's footing the rest of the bill above the FINITE mount his mom and I are providing which he will regret later( but they have to learn that on their own)...BOTH are good schools...I still would like to be at the one with GIRLS but that's just me! ;) ;) :P ;D ;D
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

tigerFanAlso2

Dale Marks is my best friend ... we played together in HS and college