MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaroonKnighty

Quote from: wiz on January 21, 2018, 09:12:02 PM
Quote from: sac on January 21, 2018, 01:47:01 PM
Quote from: wiz on January 21, 2018, 06:41:07 AM
Make this that and that this and there you have it.

Well I could have used Albion as an example but yesterday was only their 3rd best win of the season.
Weird game, take away second 5 minutes of first half and last 5 minutes of the second half and Calvin won the game 61-58.

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

MaroonKnighty

This whole deal about winning the game but not the score is making a lot more sense to me.

GoKnights68

Quote from: MaroonKnighty on January 22, 2018, 10:34:18 PM
This whole deal about winning the game but not the score is making a lot more sense to me.

QuoteYou get an outstanding second-half rally after Hope couldn't hit a perimeter shot all day, leaving head coach Glenn Van Wieren virtually ebullient, under the circumstances. "The score, we lost. I'm not sure we lost the game," he said.

http://www.mlive.com/smallcolleges/grandrapids/index.ssf/2009/01/once_again_hopecalvin_doesnt_d.html

sac

Gregory Sager

My impression is that nine years ago is yesterday in Hope/Calvin terms. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

oldknight

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 23, 2018, 02:34:41 PM

A thousand years is as a day to the Calvin/Hope Rivalry--or at least 53 years is. I still remember with vivid bitterness the totally unjustified free throws awarded Don Kronemeyer at the end of the second overtime to give the Flying Dutchmen a heavily tainted 104-102 win at the Civic in 1965. Not that I'm bitter about it. ;)

http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/mbkb/2013-14/releases/20140201f8qksu

Bulldog30

I know it's been a few days, but...

Adrian 66 - Alma 73

The 1st half really laid the groundwork to Alma's win. They swung the ball really well, moved Adrian's defense around (23 assists to Adrian's 14), and when Adrian tried to recover, Alma attacked, putting defenders on their heels. This caused some scores inside, but more importantly, got open looks for some easy jump shots for 54% field goal shooting in the 1st half (and 51% in the 2nd half and 40 points in the paint vs. 20 for Adrian). Adrian conversely shot only 34% in the 1st half and early on, only Tre'shon Heard took control offensively for Adrian when they were down double digits early. Jeremy Kalonji did well late in the 2nd half (such a surprisingly good shooter), but Justin Webster really struggled inside going 1 for 7 in the 1st with no free throws (I learned from the solid Alma announcer that he was 2nd in the nation in FT attempts with over 150 on the year). The big guys, espcially Kevin Gamble, did a great job getting in front of Webster, staying straight up, and really bodying Webster and forcing poor shots.

Adrian made a game of it in the 2nd half, but big time credit to Alma for responding. Over the course of the 2nd half, Adrian got it tied with about 5 minutes left, but they never got the lead as Alma stopped their momentum.  Webster did better in the 2nd half (5 of 9 FG and 3 of 4 FT), but it still was difficult for him (committed Adrian's only turnovers in the 2nd half). But from the 3 minute point, Alma kept getting a 2 to 6 point lead and Adrian couldn't string stops and scores together to win.

Besides the other stats already given, Adrian also got outrebounded 35 to 27.

Once again, Adrian gets basically no bench help.

And now Adrian goes from the pole position to bumping with the field. Hopefully Adrian takes care of Kalamazoo, but each game is going to be battle after battle for the rest of the year.

TUAngola

Quote from: Bulldog30 on January 23, 2018, 02:54:51 PM

Adrian 66 - Alma 73

The 1st half really laid the groundwork to Alma's win. They swung the ball really well, moved Adrian's defense around (23 assists to Adrian's 14), and when Adrian tried to recover, Alma attacked, putting defenders on their heels. This caused some scores inside, but more importantly, got open looks for some easy jump shots for 54% field goal shooting in the 1st half (and 51% in the 2nd half and 40 points in the paint vs. 20 for Adrian). Adrian conversely shot only 34% in the 1st half and early on, only Tre'shon Heard took control offensively for Adrian when they were down double digits early. Jeremy Kalonji did well late in the 2nd half (such a surprisingly good shooter), but Justin Webster really struggled inside going 1 for 7 in the 1st with no free throws (I learned from the solid Alma announcer that he was 2nd in the nation in FT attempts with over 150 on the year). The big guys, espcially Kevin Gamble, did a great job getting in front of Webster, staying straight up, and really bodying Webster and forcing poor shots.

Adrian made a game of it in the 2nd half, but big time credit to Alma for responding. Over the course of the 2nd half, Adrian got it tied with about 5 minutes left, but they never got the lead as Alma stopped their momentum.  Webster did better in the 2nd half (5 of 9 FG and 3 of 4 FT), but it still was difficult for him (committed Adrian's only turnovers in the 2nd half). But from the 3 minute point, Alma kept getting a 2 to 6 point lead and Adrian couldn't string stops and scores together to win.

And now Adrian goes from the pole position to bumping with the field. Hopefully Adrian takes care of Kalamazoo, but each game is going to be battle after battle for the rest of the year.

I watched most of the game on the video feed from Alma last Saturday night.  Great synapsys of the game, Bulldog30.  Adrian needs to stay healthy the rest of the year.  I know Heard and Harris both got dinged up during that game and had to go out, and even though they subsequently came back in, the replacements you have aren't nearly the caliber they are.  Alma's zone I thought caused Adrian a lot of problems.  Webster struggled, Alma did a great job of collapsing on him and making him take very tough shots.  Which is what Trine focused on too with our game against Adrian.  The biggest difference is that in the Trine game Adrian's perimeter players hit their shots and in the Alma game they were less accurate.

Trine gets Alma tomorrow night.  Alma is playing pretty well lately.  We need to get this one or we might lose our mojo with Hope and Olivet coming up.

I see 4 of the 5 starters for Adrian are from Indiana, all new this year (2 freshmen and 2 transfers).  Does Coach Lindsay have a connection down here or maybe one of his assistants?  I'm just jealous they didn't pick Trine... ::)  Oh and do you know what happened to the Walpole kid? Another Indiana player who picked Adrian, but haven't seen him listed on the roster since December.  I watched him play a few times in high school, kid could shoot the rock.  I knew Lindsay would make a good Head Coach someday from watching him interact with the players and staff when he was an assistant at Trine.

Keep posting, it's awesome to read posts about MIAA MBB that aren't always Hope or Calvin...or Calvin or Hope...or...

Seems like we have just one poster from each of the "little six" on here...and they rarely post.  We are clearly outnumbered  ;D.   

AlwaysHope

Quote from: oldknight on January 23, 2018, 02:49:07 PM

A thousand years is as a day to the Calvin/Hope Rivalry--or at least 53 years is. I still remember with vivid bitterness the totally unjustified free throws awarded Don Kronemeyer at the end of the second overtime to give the Flying Dutchmen a heavily tainted 104-102 win at the Civic in 1965. Not that I'm bitter about it. ;)

Let me see if I can add to oldknights' pain for the last 53 years.

I also vividly remember that incredible event, but without any bitterness.  Don Kronemeyer and I were in the same Sunday School class at church, and also freshmen at Hope.  That night I was sitting near the basket as Kronny dragged himself to the line after getting mugged by Calvin's Kim Campbell near the Calvin basket.  The refs ruled that foul occurred a tick before the buzzer went off, but no time was left on the clock.  If Don misses the first of a one and one we have a triple overtime.  He had to shoot the free throw with all the players at half court.  Talk about pressure on the Freshman guard! 

The crowd, including me and my friends, rushed the court after he made the first shot and carried him off the court for what we thought was a one point victory.  However, the refs insisted on Don completing the second shot, and after much delay he went to the line again, also made the second shot, and got carried off the court a second time.  Good thing the refs did not call the home crowd for a T after storming the court the first time.

Only game I ever saw where 1) the game was won about a minute after the buzzer went off (although the refs correctly ruled that the obvious foul was just before the buzzer), and 2) the game officially ended a few minutes after that buzzer, after the second free throw. In today's game they would have put some time back on the clock, even tenths of a second.

The goat of the game was Calvin's Campbell, who not only fouled the Hope freshman who was the entire length of the court away from the Hope basket as time expired with no chance to score, but with 23 seconds left in the 2nd OT made the front end of a one-and-one, giving Calvin a three point, two possession lead (no three point line), only to have the point taken off the board because he had his toe on the line, and thus forfeiting his second free throw.

pointlem

Quote from: AlwaysHope on January 23, 2018, 08:21:26 PM
Quote from: oldknight on January 23, 2018, 02:49:07 PM

Let me see if I can add to oldknights' pain for the last 53 years.

I also vividly remember that incredible event, but without any bitterness.  Don Kronemeyer and I were in the same Sunday School class at church, and also freshmen at Hope.  That night I was sitting near the basket as Kronny dragged himself to the line after getting mugged by Calvin's Kim Campbell near the Calvin basket.  The refs ruled that foul occurred a tick before the buzzer went off, but no time was left on the clock.  If Don misses the first of a one and one we have a triple overtime.  He had to shoot the free throw with all the players at half court.  Talk about pressure on the Freshman guard! 

The crowd, including me and my friends, rushed the court after he made the first shot and carried him off the court for what we thought was a one point victory.  However, the refs insisted on Don completing the second shot, and after much delay he went to the line again, also made the second shot, and got carried off the court a second time.  Good thing the refs did not call the home crowd for a T after storming the court the first time.

Only game I ever saw where 1) the game was won about a minute after the buzzer went off (although the refs correctly ruled that the obvious foul was just before the buzzer), and 2) the game officially ended a few minutes after that buzzer, after the second free throw. In today's game they would have put some time back on the clock, even tenths of a second.

The goat of the game was Calvin's Campbell, who not only fouled the Hope freshman who was the entire length of the court away from the Hope basket as time expired with no chance to score, but with 23 seconds left in the 2nd OT made the front end of a one-and-one, giving Calvin a three point, two possession lead (no three point line), only to have the point taken off the board because he had his toe on the line, and thus forfeiting his second free throw.
Detailed game reports after 53 years?  Boy what I'd give for memories like yours OldKnight and, especially, AlwaysHope. But are your cerebral hard drives nearing capacity? ;)
P.S. My mirror image painful memory is the 40-foot Winkle backboard carom that was finally balanced this year by the Dennis Towns counterpart shot.

Gregory Sager

... and the Winkle shot was, what, 18 years ago? All of those JV freshmen that wiz was talking about the other day were born the season that Winkle made that shot.

Like I said, nine years ago is yesterday with you Rivalry types. :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Bulldog30

Quote from: TUAngola on January 23, 2018, 06:03:07 PM
Quote from: Bulldog30 on January 23, 2018, 02:54:51 PM

Adrian 66 - Alma 73

I watched most of the game on the video feed from Alma last Saturday night.  Great synapsys of the game, Bulldog30.  Adrian needs to stay healthy the rest of the year.  I know Heard and Harris both got dinged up during that game and had to go out, and even though they subsequently came back in, the replacements you have aren't nearly the caliber they are.  Alma's zone I thought caused Adrian a lot of problems.  Webster struggled, Alma did a great job of collapsing on him and making him take very tough shots.  Which is what Trine focused on too with our game against Adrian.  The biggest difference is that in the Trine game Adrian's perimeter players hit their shots and in the Alma game they were less accurate.

Trine gets Alma tomorrow night.  Alma is playing pretty well lately.  We need to get this one or we might lose our mojo with Hope and Olivet coming up.

I see 4 of the 5 starters for Adrian are from Indiana, all new this year (2 freshmen and 2 transfers).  Does Coach Lindsay have a connection down here or maybe one of his assistants?  I'm just jealous they didn't pick Trine... ::)  Oh and do you know what happened to the Walpole kid? Another Indiana player who picked Adrian, but haven't seen him listed on the roster since December.  I watched him play a few times in high school, kid could shoot the rock.  I knew Lindsay would make a good Head Coach someday from watching him interact with the players and staff when he was an assistant at Trine.

Keep posting, it's awesome to read posts about MIAA MBB that aren't always Hope or Calvin...or Calvin or Hope...or...

Seems like we have just one poster from each of the "little six" on here...and they rarely post.  We are clearly outnumbered  ;D.   

Thanks for the kind words TUAngola.

1. You're right about the zone causing issues, but I think the big guys did a very nice job playing Webster and Kalonji at the free throw line and post. Each need to do a better job getting around those defenders rather than trying to power through them (not going to power through Kevin Gamble).

2a. Coach Lindsey is from Toledo, but his assistant Isaac Loechle (also titled recruiting coordinator on Adrian's website) was an assistant at NAIA Saint Francis in Fort Wayne, Indiana, so I'm guessing he's a strong part of the Indiana pipeline to Adrian.
2b.  As a MAC player (Macomb Athletic Conference from Michigan's eastside), I would love for Adrian to go after players from that part of state. Adrian only being 1.5 hours away from schools in the MAC (and Detroit) could do well with recruiting these areas.

3. Don't know what happened with Walpole. I'm a fan of my alma matar, but mostly out of the loop with the inner workings (although Coach Lindsey is great with communicating and integrating former players from past years).

4. TUAngola??? You don't enjoy inside jokes and old references to Mark Veenstra, Aaron Winkle, and Don Overbeek??? ;-) I jest, of course. I absolute wish I had other Adrian posters to do that with. Perhaps I should give some old Adrian references, though that may be like shouting into a void (I haven't seen a player that hard-nosed since Jeff Nokovich!)

Go Bulldogs!

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Bulldog30 on January 24, 2018, 09:33:57 AM
4. TUAngola??? You don't enjoy inside jokes and old references to Mark Veenstra, Aaron Winkle, and Don Overbeek??? ;-) I jest, of course. I absolute wish I had other Adrian posters to do that with. Perhaps I should give some old Adrian references, though that may be like shouting into a void (I haven't seen a player that hard-nosed since Jeff Nokovich!)

Go Bulldogs!

I for one love hearing from fans of every MIAA team!  And I loved watching Nokovich play back in the day.  We got the chance to get to know him a bit at the end of his career - liked his play and liked the guy.
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

AlwaysHope

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 23, 2018, 09:10:23 PM
... and the Winkle shot was, what, 18 years ago? All of those JV freshmen that wiz was talking about the other day were born the season that Winkle made that shot.

Like I said, nine years ago is yesterday with you Rivalry types. :D

That banked Winkle shot also messed up the publicity machine for the MIAA.  Had he missed it with only a few seconds remaining in regulation, and assuming no further scoring by Calvin, Hope would have won the game, tying the all-time series at 72 - 72.  It was the final game of the year 2000 between the two teams.

The Rivalry then could have sent our news releases stating that "Hope/Calvin are now tied at the end of the Second Millennium!"  (Assuming we use the Gregorian calendar)