FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3viewer

Solid hire I guess. 4 winning seasons and 5 losing seasons as HC at MIT. Multiple 1 and 2 win seasons (and a 10 win season) . A little bit step back in academic prestige (maybe good ?), and a step up in football competition. Ties to NY State LL football (RPI, Hobart). Moving from Boston to Rochester. Hopefully he can fulfill UR's potential. Seems the last time they were really any good was back in the early- mid 90s.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: D3viewer on January 23, 2018, 05:31:34 PM
Solid hire I guess. 4 winning seasons and 5 losing seasons as HC at MIT. Multiple 1 and 2 win seasons (and a 10 win season) . A little bit step back in academic prestige (maybe good ?), and a step up in football competition. Ties to NY State LL football (RPI, Hobart). Moving from Boston to Rochester. Hopefully he can fulfill UR's potential. Seems the last time they were really any good was back in the early- mid 90s.

MIT has been a solid, well run program in a place that may be the hardest place to recruit in the country.  I think he will do well at Rochester.

Bombers798891

Agreed on the UofR hire. I did a long Q&A with him on the heels of their undefeated season. He's sharp, and will do well there

ITH radio

Haven't spoken with him yet, but I'm guessing it's a quality of life move given cost of living of ROC vs. Boston suburbs. I do also agree that while UofR is still a prestigious academic school, it's going to be easier for him to recruit kids there vs. MIT which is at a Stanford / Harvard level.

One of the most random games I ever saw was the 2-0 victory by the Statesmen in the 93 season which was played at ROC in pretty poor weather, if memory serves.

http://static.hwsathletics.com/custompages/Hobart%20Football/1993/19931009.htm

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Jonny Utah

Quote from: ITH radio on January 24, 2018, 10:46:15 AM
Haven't spoken with him yet, but I'm guessing it's a quality of life move given cost of living of ROC vs. Boston suburbs. I do also agree that while UofR is still a prestigious academic school, it's going to be easier for him to recruit kids there vs. MIT which is at a Stanford / Harvard level.

One of the most random games I ever saw was the 2-0 victory by the Statesmen in the 93 season which was played at ROC in a downpour, if memory serves.

Yea I always wonder about coaching moves like this.  He was at MIT for a long time and it was clear for a long time that he was a good coach who knew what he was doing.  I figured his wife/family had simply found a home in the Boston area and he didn't need/want to move up in the coaching ranks.  I'm assuming at some point he could have made a lateral move to Harvard or BC and stay in the area?  I wish him luck.

And what are you talking about ITH?  1,500 sq. ft/3 bedroom houses don't go for 600K in the Rochester area?  :(

dlippiel

Quote from: Jonny Utah on January 24, 2018, 07:46:28 AM
Quote from: D3viewer on January 23, 2018, 05:31:34 PM

MIT has been a solid, well run program in a place that may be the hardest place to recruit in the country.  I think he will do well at Rochester.

dlip thinks he will do very well at U of R. A solid U of R team/program will only bode well for an improving LL. dlip wishes him all the luck. He has certainly earned it doing what he has done at a school like MIT.

Oline89

Quote from: ITH radio on January 24, 2018, 10:46:15 AM

One of the most random games I ever saw was the 2-0 victory by the Statesmen in the 93 season which was played at ROC in pretty poor weather, if memory serves.

MIT, home of one of the greatest fight songs ever:  Cosine, Secant, Tangent, Sine, 3.14159......I am sure recruiting to U of R will be much easier

south hill observer

Brockport opening the season with Hobart week 1 and Ithaca week 2 should tell us if they're ready to run through the east again.

Bartman

Quote from: south hill observer on January 28, 2018, 11:53:11 AM
Brockport opening the season with Hobart week 1 and Ithaca week 2 should tell us if they're ready to run through the east again.
I am starting to miss Dickinson as the opening game.....yikes, Brockport again week 1 ....my playoff rooting for Brockport is so over....time to focus on Hobart being an underdog in an opening game for the first time in years....total respect for Brockport last year, but as we know in D3 there can be some variability when your Seniors move on...the biggest gap for Brockport is the Oline...if they can put together a similar group it could be a long day for the Statesmen, if not, Germinerio will be running quite a bit....oops, not sure we want that either....many months to go before the first kickoff..still into first place LL Basketball team and Lacrosse season coming up
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

Hobart fans know how it can go when you lose some all-time OL to graduation. Germiniero and O'Connell being back is huge for the O and D, but it'll be tough to replace guys like Sanchez and the LB duo of Mizro and Szymanski.

D3viewer

Quote from: ITH radio on January 29, 2018, 10:31:22 AM
Hobart fans know how it can go when you lose some all-time OL to graduation. Germiniero and O'Connell being back is huge for the O and D, but it'll be tough to replace guys like Sanchez and the LB duo of Mizro and Szymanski.

Did something change about O'Connell ? He played as a senior last season and participated in Brockport's Senior Day. Not being snarky...just curious if you know something new about his status or didn't realize he's finished.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: D3viewer on January 29, 2018, 05:38:23 PM

Did something change about O'Connell ? He played as a senior last season and participated in Brockport's Senior Day. Not being snarky...just curious if you know something new about his status or didn't realize he's finished.

This would totally be a good time to listen to our podcast and our interview with Jason Mangone:
http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2018/01/28/atn-podcast-191-breakout-teams-big-stage/
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ITH radio

Quote from: D3viewer on January 29, 2018, 05:38:23 PM

We heard from the BP folks he'd be back after the UMHB game. Pat and Keith broke the news on the ATN yesterday. The Mangone interview is about 35 mins in. Take a listen.

D3viewer

Thank you pat and ITH Radio. I did listen, it was an enjoyable interview. Good news for the Golden eagles for sure.
PS, excuse my ignorance, (I don't usually listen to pod casts), who was that interviewing Coach Mangone (if he  introduced himself earlier, sorry I skipped ahead.)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: D3viewer on January 30, 2018, 05:20:21 PM
Thank you pat and ITH Radio. I did listen, it was an enjoyable interview. Good news for the Golden eagles for sure.
PS, excuse my ignorance, (I don't usually listen to pod casts), who was that interviewing Coach Mangone (if he  introduced himself earlier, sorry I skipped ahead.)

That's me. Glad you enjoyed it!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.