FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UfanBill

Just to clarify...remember when members of this board had the solution for the Union and Hobart schedules back in March? When it was announced that Mt. Ida had dropped football that created open dates for other members of the ECFC. Two of those dates corresponded with open dates on Hobart and Union's schedule...9/29 Castleton and 10/27 Dean. It was also pointed out that Misericordia was looking to fill 9/29. Did either 'LL school schedule Castleton, Dean or Misericordia as members of this board suggested? Did the ADs even make the calls? I don't know but Castleton and Misericordia got together and are playing on 9/29 and Dean found a different 10th game opponent. Were Hobart and Union asleep at the switch or did Castleton tell them no? (what makes this even more curious is Union has coaches from both Dean and Castleton on it's current staff) A perfect scenario would have Misericordia as Hobart's Homecoming opponent and Castleton visiting Union on 9/29 just as we wanted it. The fact that Hobart has no Homecoming game and Union, Hobart and RPI have no tenth game was obviously avoidable. I'm not sure where the blame lies but I do know where there was a solution.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

While it may be true that Hobart homecoming will be sans Statesmen football, Bartman has suggested a rerun of Hobart and William Smith's proudest competitive moment for all to watch from the Boz...the 1961 undefeated HWS debate team final win against Baylor on GE College Bowl ;D. YouTube it baby, they kicked ass on national TV, and the current debate team is pretty tough as well.This will overshadow whatever went into the football scheduling snafu and focus on our greatest win ever and maybe attract some future Rhodes scholars by showing our academic priorities ... hey ,there is more to homecoming than a football game ;)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

ITH radio

Hobart called all those ECFC schools and were told no (multiple times). I believe SJF said no to an extension of that series and Union even attempted to move the 10/6 game a week up but the travel situation bc of Homecoming made it impossible (ironic, in a way, but unfortunately the truth). Like others have said, most schedules are built out years in advance, unfortunately the NEWMAC situation combined with a few other factors left these schools in btw a rock and a hard place.

Only other thing I'll say is Vincent was on this and probably would have gotten some kind of game together if he hadn't been run out of town. Shame.

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

Oline89

Quote from: ITH radio on July 17, 2018, 09:54:53 AM
Hobart called all those ECFC schools and were told no (multiple times). I believe SJF said no to an extension of that series and Union even attempted to move the 10/6 game a week up but the travel situation bc of Homecoming made it impossible (ironic, in a way, but unfortunately the truth). Like others have said, most schedules are built out years in advance, unfortunately the NEWMAC situation combined with a few other factors left these schools in btw a rock and a hard place.

Only other thing I'll say is Vincent was on this and probably would have gotten some kind of game together if he hadn't been run out of town. Shame.

So next year there will be 7 teams in the LL, after Buff St joins.  The Shenandoah and Endicott one and one series are done (I assume) that means Hobart will still need to schedule 4 OOC games.  The simplest solution would be to form a permanent rotation with the E8 teams.  14 teams should be able to fill schedules....

ITH radio

Endicott is off the schedule next year for sure. I think Shen may be as well (can't remember if it's a 2 or 4 yr contract).

There is an agreement btw the E8 and LL to start a rotation of scheduling to help both leagues starting next season, so hopefully the issues should be over by then.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jknezek on July 16, 2018, 03:51:41 PM
Malone has 9/15 open, but they have 10 games on the rest of the schedule. I'm thinking that game got cancelled for some reason. https://www.malonepioneers.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=133&path=football

Good question. Malone is entitled to play 11, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: UfanBill on July 17, 2018, 01:31:50 AM
Did either 'LL school schedule Castleton, Dean or Misericordia as members of this board suggested?

It takes two to schedule! Those schools have to want to play you.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

fisheralum91

I wish that the Malone and Fisher game were still on if for anything else- Fisher doesnt have a 2 week bye!

UfanBill

"Travel situation"?...So you're saying that Union could not find hotel rooms for a potential game on Homecoming weekend 9/29?  That seems ludicrous. When was 9/29 announced as Homecoming week?  Why wouldn't Hobart have arranged accommodations for ANY team that was coming in for that Saturday? I'm glad it wasn't a Union refusal to be Homecoming "fodder" that f***ed things up.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

Quote from: Pat Coleman on July 17, 2018, 12:30:14 PM
Quote from: UfanBill on July 17, 2018, 01:31:50 AM
Did either 'LL school schedule Castleton, Dean or Misericordia as members of this board suggested?

It takes two to schedule! Those schools have to want to play you.

Pat, that's why I thought it curious that Union has former Dean and Castleton coaches on it's current staff but couldn't or didn't bother to try to arrange a game.  I would think those coaches would have been quickly aware of the potential to schedule as soon as the Mt. Ida situation was announced. Maybe some bad blood between Union and Castleton? They have scrimmaged in the past.

ITH radio

Quote from: UfanBill on July 17, 2018, 04:13:43 PM

"Travel situation"?...So you're saying that Union could not find hotel rooms for a potential game on Homecoming weekend 9/29?  That seems ludicrous. When was 9/29 announced as Homecoming week?  Why wouldn't Hobart have arranged accommodations for ANY team that was coming in for that Saturday? I'm glad it wasn't a Union refusal to be Homecoming "fodder" that f***ed things up.

It's a fair question - I think Hobart and Union could only do too much given budgets and other travel considerations. All I know is Union was open to the change, but neither school to figure out a way to make it work. I give Union credit for even considering it in the first place because Hobart had the opening for a long time.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: ITH radio on July 17, 2018, 07:31:42 PM

It's a fair question - I think Hobart and Union could only do too much given budgets and other travel considerations. All I know is Union was open to the change, but neither school to figure out a way to make it work. I give Union credit for even considering it in the first place because Hobart had the opening for a long time.

I noticed this year that D1 New Mexico State and Liberty are playing each other twice.  Almost unheard of in college football but I'm wondering if that is ever an option for d3 teams who need to fill a game?

Oline89

Quote from: Jonny Utah on July 18, 2018, 08:00:44 AM
Quote from: ITH radio on July 17, 2018, 07:31:42 PM

I noticed this year that D1 New Mexico State and Liberty are playing each other twice.  Almost unheard of in college football but I'm wondering if that is ever an option for d3 teams who need to fill a game?
It's an idea, but really feels desperate.  I wonder who would benefit other than fans who want to see the max number of games.  Since such a game couldn't be counted as a conference game, maybe it would be treated like a JV game.  Kids who don't get on the field as much,  would get a chance to play on a Saturday. 

Pat Coleman

It would still count against your overall wins and losses, so I doubt it would get treated like a JV game.

For a couple of years, WIAC schools had one team that they played twice. It wasn't popular with coaches, although it did help fill out schedules.

Bombers798891

OOC games are sort of interesting to me. I'm a weird fan, and I hate the frequent LL/E8 OOC crossovers. I like to see different teams, and I think it helps recruiting (for IC at least) to occasionally get out of upstate NY. I liked that they dropped Utica for St. Vincent. I really liked that they bailed on the E8/LL Bowl rematch with Cortland to play in an ECAC game. I think it sucks to not have 10 games, but the contrarian part of me is secretly glad Hobart and Fisher couldn't make it work