FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scots13

jk-

Passed through Lexington on the way home from The Greenbrier last Saturday.  My sights of W&L's campus, however brief, were worth the pit stop. Ready to visit again when my Scots travel up I-81.

Also, for anyone going to Lexington this year: try Salerno's. It's a nice little pizza shop near W&L. Tons of craft beer as well, if that's your thing.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on July 12, 2018, 04:39:14 PM
jk-

Passed through Lexington on the way home from The Greenbrier last Saturday.  My sights of W&L's campus, however brief, were worth the pit stop. Ready to visit again when my Scots travel up I-81.

Also, for anyone going to Lexington this year: try Salerno's. It's a nice little pizza shop near W&L. Tons of craft beer as well, if that's your thing.

Salerno's has been there forever. Lexington is beautiful. You'll have a good time at the game. Bring some shade though, especially on that visitor sideline. Spend some time on campus before crossing over the bridge to the field. Park down by Lee Chapel and wander up across the Great Lawn, through the Colonade and then through to the newer buildings behind and eventually over to the footbridge across to the field from the Doremus Gym area. It's not a long walk, but a great way to see the historic campus. If you have time, take a peak at VMI right next door. Literally. The campus are adjoined. As you are walking up toward the Colonade, VMI is off to your right. The imposing fort like yellow buildings are quite a contrast to W&L's colonial brick facade.

There are also some great restaurants in Lexington. I wouldn't count Salerno's in that grouping though!

MUC57

Jknezek

Your give a great description of The campuses of W&L and VMI. They, especially W&L, sound absolutely gorgeous. Sounds like a campus to walk along, look at the history and smell the roses. I would love to see it. I have always enjoyed strolling around different campuses. I do it when the opportunity presents itself. For example, when I stood outside Notre Dame Stadium, I got goosebumps. I know I could hear Knute Rockne and I just caught a glimpse of four old players on horseback. "Outlined against a blue, gray October Sky............" .
A campus tour can give us a taste of history, bring back happy and fun memories and let us think about what might have been.
Thank you for giving me a mental tour of what is obviously a beautiful campus. Go Generals. 🏈
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: MUC57 on July 12, 2018, 06:51:18 PM
Jknezek

Your give a great description of The campuses of W&L and VMI. They, especially W&L, sound absolutely gorgeous. Sounds like a campus to walk along, look at the history and smell the roses. I would love to see it. I have always enjoyed strolling around different campuses. I do it when the opportunity presents itself. For example, when I stood outside Notre Dame Stadium, I got goosebumps. I know I could hear Knute Rockne and I just caught a glimpse of four old players on horseback. "Outlined against a blue, gray October Sky............" .
A campus tour can give us a taste of history, bring back happy and fun memories and let us think about what might have been.
Thank you for giving me a mental tour of what is obviously a beautiful campus. Go Generals. 🏈

My older son (father to my 3, soon to be 4, grandchildren) lived one block from Notre Dame stadium for a while.  He's such a Michigan fan (and gutsy!) that he would wear UM apparel the whole week before a UM-Notre Dame game!  He was never harassed (except good-naturedly) , but I doubt even he would do that if he lived in Colombus!  On UM @ OSU game days, Michigan fans get assaulted and cars with Michigan plates get vandalized.

Scots13

Quote from: jknezek on July 12, 2018, 06:11:17 PM
jk-

Salerno's has been there forever. Lexington is beautiful. You'll have a good time at the game. Bring some shade though, especially on that visitor sideline. Spend some time on campus before crossing over the bridge to the field. Park down by Lee Chapel and wander up across the Great Lawn, through the Colonade and then through to the newer buildings behind and eventually over to the footbridge across to the field from the Doremus Gym area. It's not a long walk, but a great way to see the historic campus. If you have time, take a peak at VMI right next door. Literally. The campus are adjoined. As you are walking up toward the Colonade, VMI is off to your right. The imposing fort like yellow buildings are quite a contrast to W&L's colonial brick facade.

There are also some great restaurants in Lexington. I wouldn't count Salerno's in that grouping though!

I'm planning on taking my dear, sweet time walking around W&L and VMI. I'm a sucker for all things historical. Lee Chapel is #1 on my list of places to visit. I'll have a stroll through VMI as well.
Salerno's served its purpose very well. I'm under no illusions that's the top spot in Lexington.  I prefer the "usual" type spots rather than the perceived finer dining establishments.    There was a Greek café the next street over. Might need to check that out, too.

Isn't there a place I've heard about recently? Blue Rooster or something? Heard they have mixed reviews.  ;D
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on July 13, 2018, 08:19:26 AM
Quote from: jknezek on July 12, 2018, 06:11:17 PM
jk-

I'm planning on taking my dear, sweet time walking around W&L and VMI. I'm a sucker for all things historical. Lee Chapel is #1 on my list of places to visit. I'll have a stroll through VMI as well.
Salerno's served its purpose very well. I'm under no illusions that's the top spot in Lexington.  I prefer the "usual" type spots rather than the perceived finer dining establishments.    There was a Greek café the next street over. Might need to check that out, too.

Isn't there a place I've heard about recently? Blue Rooster or something? Heard they have mixed reviews.  ;D

If you like history, do more than stroll through VMI. Spend time at the Marshal Museum. Only place in the world you can see a Nobel Peace Price and an Oscar next to each other. I think it is more interesting than Lee Chapel, but Lee Chapel is very neat as well. The Greek place, Nikkos I think, is good. We ate there our last time through Lexington. And yes, Red Hen has made the news lately. I have never eaten there though friends who went through Lexington have had good things to say about the food. For nicer dining we always hit the Southern Inn. I have friends that recommend Brew Ridge Taps if you are in to that sort of thing. The Palms has always been more of a student place.

MUC57

Jknezek

Hope you saw my comments earlier. I was very impressed. Thanks.

jknezek

Quote from: MUC57 on July 12, 2018, 06:51:18 PM
Jknezek

I did indeed. Well worth a visit if you are over that way. I'd say on your way to or from Salem but that ship has sailed. Probably not at its best in December anyway. Thanks though! Hope you are having a good summer.

HSCTiger fan

I skipped a few days and thought I found the wrong page.  Did the Lexington travel committee take over?  Just kidding. One of the best things about playing in the ODAC are the beautiful campuses we get to see. I rate the campuses:

1- EH
2- HSC
3- GC
4- WL
5- BC
6- RMC
7- SU
8- FC

I know it's all "in the eye of the beholder". But that's how I see it.

I rate football facilities:
1. RMC
2. EH
3. HSC
4. WL
5. SU
6. BC
7. GC
8. FC
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

MUC57

HSCTiger fan

I have a feeling all of the ODAC campuses are really neat. As you say, it's in the eye of the beholder. But some just reach out to you! Good luck to all the ODAC schools this fall. ☠🏈🎓

HSCTiger fan

Here’s what’s returning for ODAC teams less Ferrum based on their 2 deep when they played HSC last year.  I pulled this info from HSC’s game notes.

BC 2 deep- 18 D and 14 O. Starters 8 D 7 O
GC 2 deep- 14 D and 16 O. Starters 5 D 6 O
WL 2 deep- 17 D and 16 O. Starters 6 D 5 O
EH 2 deep- 19 D and 18 O. Starters 9 D 8 O
SU 2 deep- 17 D and 15 O. Starters 7 D 8 O
RM 2 deep- 17 D and 20 O. Starters 8 D 10 O
HSC 2 deep- 17 D and 13 O. Starters 7 D 6 O

All conference returning.  I did not include any special team players above so I did not include any below.

BC 3 D 1 O
GC 2 D 2 O (if Bell returns)
WL 2 D 4 O
EH 3 D 5 O
SU 4 D 4 O
RM 2 D 5 O
HSC 2 D 3 O

Hampden Sydney College
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

tigerFanAlso2

TigerFan

Thanks for the info. What kind of problems will HSC have with it's OOC schedule ?
I don't like traveling to AU and CNU have had their way with us recently. Thoughts !!!!

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on July 24, 2018, 09:19:09 AM
TigerFan

Thanks for the info. What kind of problems will HSC have with it's OOC schedule ?
I don't like traveling to AU and CNU have had their way with us recently. Thoughts !!!!

I don’t have a good feel for CNU or Averett. Last year there was zero film on CNU. They had a new coach and the did somethings defensively I’m sure HSC was not expecting. This year HSC should have a better plan of attack. AU?  Who knows. Their coach has done a good job turning around their program.  They have been improving each year. I have no idea as to who is returning for AU or CNU. AU beat HSC pretty badly two years ago but I would not say AU has had their way with HSC.
Hampden Sydney College

tigerFanAlso2

I said CNU have had there way with HSC lately and that I don't like the idea of traveling to AU. We only beat them by 3 last year, RMC beat them by 4 the following week; expect a very close game. I'm hoping for a 2-1 OOC result, 3-0 would be all world. Lets get it done. Labor Day weekend is right around the corner.

HSCTiger fan

TFA
CNU brings back only 10 starters (5 O and 5 D) and 28 of their 2 deep. AU brings back 6 defensive players and 8 offensive plYers as well as 34 of their 2 deep.

This makes me think that the AU game is huge. They will have to find a way to slow down HSC's offense with 5 new starters but they have a lot returning on O. I agree it will be a very tough game. 

CNU has lots to replace on both sides of the ball. Like most quality teams, CNU will find quality replacements.  I'm excited about the games and like HSC to win both.

I think the new RB is going to be a stud that neither is going to expect and I feel the Cobb to Morgan combo is going to be as exciting a duo to watch as any pair in the country this fall. In fact I feel Cobb and Morgan will combine for more passes and TDs that any other QB WR pair this year. I feel they will have similar success as Nance and Wałker. Morgan is as fast as Walker only bigger. I hear he's the best athlete to ever play at HSC. Cobb is going to be awesome this fall. I'm thinking awesome like All-American consideration awesome.

Make no mistake (I've eaten my words before) this is a very talented HSC football team.
Hampden Sydney College