MBB: Landmark Conference

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, February 20, 2007, 07:23:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEPAFAN

Billy Donovan had a cup of coffee with the Cardinals until he transfer to Florida to play for his dad.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 21, 2018, 06:58:12 PM
Quote from: ronk on January 20, 2018, 08:22:32 PM

Face in the "crowd":  Mark Turgeon, HC-U of MD taking in a D3 contest

I believe I read somewhere that Turgeon's son will be playing for Catholic next year.

I told you. :)
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 22, 2018, 01:19:40 PM

I believe I read somewhere that Turgeon's son will be playing for Catholic next year.

I did also read it somewhere - I practice good journalism and look to multiple sources.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 22, 2018, 01:33:30 PM

I did also read it somewhere - I practice good journalism and look to multiple sources.

Ryan,
Can u remember where u read it? I'd be interested if it was a link of D3 commits, for example.

Gonzaga High is a good team in what is arguably the strongest league for basketball in the country; even being a reserve on such a good team won't preclude him from making a mark in D3. Brendan Boken(Scranton-2016) was the 6th man on his high school team, but the starters were all D1 recruits; Brendan still became a D3 All-American.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: ronk on January 22, 2018, 02:55:57 PM

Ryan,
Can u remember where u read it? I'd be interested if it was a link of D3 commits, for example.

Gonzaga High is a good team in what is arguably the strongest league for basketball in the country; even being a reserve on such a good team won't preclude him from making a mark in D3. Brendan Boken(Scranton-2016) was the 6th man on his high school team, but the starters were all D1 recruits; Brendan still became a D3 All-American.

ronk - You are correct. It is an excellent league! The Philadelphia Catholic League is also garnering a lot of national prominence, but I think it is so unfair when it comes to the PIAA State Playoffs. The Philly Catholic League has "all star" teams where teams recruit big time and there are no geographical boundaries. They then play Public schools with tight geographical boundaries. It really is a joke!! Out of six classifications, the Catholic League (or "Charter " schools) win five of them......and a few championship games by 50-60 points........and then celebrate as if they've accomplished something!! It would be like the Landmark Conference First Team beating Keystone or Summit. It drives me insane!! New Jersey does it right by having state championships divided into private and public classifications. Rant over!!

Smitty Oom

Couple things for the elite minds of the LANDMARK:

I have Riley Collins in the Keeper league, so I kind of have been keeping tabs on Drew... are they actually the best team in the conference? I have been rooting for them in landmark play, sorry to the Scranton fans.

Also, wasn't Boken a CA recruit, or did he also play his HS hoops in Penn?

Here in MN there has been a lot of debate about private schools winning state championships, especially in the lower divisions (schools with smaller enrollments). Interesting that NJ separates the two into different divisions. i like that idea!

ronk

Quote from: Smitty Oom on January 22, 2018, 09:17:05 PM

I have Riley Collins in the Keeper league, so I kind of have been keeping tabs on Drew... are they actually the best team in the conference? I have been rooting for them in landmark play, sorry to the Scranton fans.

Here in MN there has been a lot of debate about private schools winning state championships, especially in the lower divisions (schools with smaller enrollments). Interesting that NJ separates the two into different divisions. i like that idea!

Well, Drew is 6-0 in the conference but they have to play all the better teams on the road starting Wed @ Scranton.

ronk

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on January 22, 2018, 08:49:30 PM
Quote from: ronk on January 22, 2018, 02:55:57 PM

Ryan,

ronk - You are correct. It is an excellent league! The Philadelphia Catholic League is also garnering a lot of national prominence, but I think it is so unfair when it comes to the PIAA State Playoffs. The Philly Catholic League has "all star" teams where teams recruit big time and there are no geographical boundaries. They then play Public schools with tight geographical boundaries. It really is a joke!! Out of six classifications, the Catholic League (or "Charter " schools) win five of them......and a few championship games by 50-60 points........and then celebrate as if they've accomplished something!! It would be like the Landmark Conference First Team beating Keystone or Summit. It drives me insane!! New Jersey does it right by having state championships divided into private and public classifications. Rant over!!

Gordon- Yes, most good players in the DC area end up in the Catholic school league to the detriment of play in the public school leagues; MD and VA don't have private schools in their state playoffs so fair in that respect.
Having grown up in the Harrisburg area, I'm aware of how the private/charter/Catholic schools have affected the playoffs in football and basketball and I sympathize with those anguished by having to compete with unrestricted recruiting and/or losing players who would have played for one's public school, otherwise.
  My school(home of LeSean McCoy and Ricky Watters) didn't recruit(at that time) because it was the only Catholic school for 20 miles and parents sent their kids there for the education, not sports reasons. Still, the public school coach in my suburb lamented the fact that two or more starters each year were playing for us instead of him. This, at a time when there were separate state playoffs in basketball for public and Catholic schools and no football state playoffs and no Philly schools in either; it's gotten considerably worse now with the  combined public/private/Philly schools playoffs and the proliferation of private/charter schools, especially affecting the lower-enrollment communities.

jmcozenlaw

Spot on ronk!! One of the 2A Catholic Schools beat their counterpart from the western portion of the state, in a state final a few years ago, 90-something to 20-something. All of the games are on PCN (I don't know if that was around when you lived in PA) and this game it looked like a college team against a bunch of pre-pubscent kids. They pressed through the 3rd quarter.

Harrisburg is a bunch of wussies and fearful of a lawsuit should they press the situation and separate the Private and Public Schools. I say bring it on!! Why do the Private Schools think this is a fair arrangement and why do they think it's an accomplishment?

The stories that I could tell you about Archbishop Wood trying to steal Josh Adams (Notre Dame running back) from Central Bucks South would make you cringe....................and this comes from as close as to the source as possible!! Disgusting!!!!!

Matt Letourneau

Quote from: Pat Coleman on January 21, 2018, 12:45:37 PM
It looked pretty bad from wherever one was sitting. From the onset, Catholic used an effective zone which was a novel choice considering the Royals' normal long-range effectiveness. It did eliminate all the Royals' player movement and the distance shooting was usually contested, unlike what usually happens against a man-to-man defense. They had a number of bad passes in the middle of the zone, including the usually reliable Kevin Doolan with 5 TOs.
  Defensively, no one could stop Jay Howard or put a body on Riley Hayes who had 5 offensive rebounds in the 1st half, including at least 2 baskets. Hard to find any positives.

For Pat Coleman and the Cardinal fans - the renovated DuFour center was a hit with individual chair-backed seats on the main sidelines and a few rows of bleacher seating at the home end of the court. I didn't see the much-needed additional locker room facilities but President Garvey stopped by for a few words and was obviously pleased with the renovation. The only damper was the absence of students(semester break) to enhance the setting.

I've only seen the photos, but it looks really nice. Great-looking refurb on a 33-year-old building. And repurposing those old squash courts was a great idea. I don't know when the next time is I'll be in town during the winter, but I have a kid at GW, so it could happen.

They did a really nice job--I saw it for the first time 2 weeks ago.  The new lighting alone makes a big difference.   Enjoyed the expanded scoreboard and the seats.  It would be fun to see the place filled up--they lost some "capacity" with the conversion to seats but it isn't like they needed it. 

Nice road win tonight for the Cards---defense is finally clicking. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Can't wait to see CUA at the Decker SRC. The Cardinals are going to go .. down!

Oh...

... wait ...

... sorry ...

... thought it was 1997 ... my bad.

So... um... look forward to seeing Jay Howard play one more time with myself behind the mic.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

NEPAFAN

Quote from: Smitty Oom on January 22, 2018, 09:17:05 PM

ya jinxed them. Scranton knocks off drew giving them their first L in the conference. Joint was jumping for an intersession game.
A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Scranton exploded in the second half... I said to someone, it was like they finally woke up! Unreal watching that game progress.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It doesn't matter what night you tune in to Division III basketball, something will surprise you. There are teams leading conferences that weren't expected to be in the conversation, there are programs who continue their record-setting starts to the season, and others who seem to be defying expectations - well, at least those outside of the locker room.

On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave chats with a few coaches who have programs currently excelling - even if they have hit some bumps in the road recently. One has his program off to the best start in a storied program's history, another is leading a conference that has it's traditional leaders off the pace a bit, a third who was never thought would be on top, and a fourth looking to try and change national minds.

There is also a coach who is doing her best to help those with communications challenges, working on diversity and inclusion, all while leading Gallaudet to bigger and better results. Stephanie Stevens is this week's WBCA Center Court guest and will talk about what drew her to the deaf and hard of hearing university and what else keeps her busy off the basketball court. Stevens was a recent honoree of the WBCA Thirty Under 30.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET here: http://bit.ly/2ndxRHj.

If you have questions for Dave or his guests, feel free to interact with the show (info to the right) or send them via email. Some may even be featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Bob Amsberry, No. 2 Wartburg women's coach
- Amy Reed, RIT women's coach
- Stephanie Stevens, Gallaudet women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Darryl Keckler, Drew men's coach
- Kyle Lindsay, Adrian men's coach

You can also tune into (or subscribe) to the podcast after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville