BB: Regionals (West) 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011

Started by DIIIBASEBALLFAN, April 30, 2008, 11:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackcat00

Good Point but look at the final 15 games played as well. Advantage def CTX.

gatekeper43

Quote from: Browneagle64 on May 08, 2008, 02:36:19 PM
Quote from: dbat on May 08, 2008, 12:43:19 PM
Bronson is without a doubt one of the best pitchers in the west division.  He has shut down several great teams.  He has a hard and heavy fastball and an amazing slider that breaks hard late.  Dont forget about his change which he will sometimes pitch backwards starting you out with that.  I would say that even though chapman can hit Bronson definately has the ability to shut them down the first game of the tourney if that is the matchup.  Hmmm!

Hum.... Sounds like this Bronson kid can really pitch. If by any chances he does face the Panthers in the first round, i am sure he will do fine pitching against them.
But to be honest with you, in keeping up with the panthers for the past 8 years, Coach T. and co. will expose this kid's weakness and find ways to prevail against him.
For instance, the reason why the Leo's were close in beating the SCIAC co-champs during the season was because they sent in their best pitching and clearly found ways to keep the panthers in check. However, these guys will methodically break every pitch down, their pitchers will know what type of batter the face (by the 4th/5inning) and will then combine their offense and defensive talents to let the flood gates open by the 5inning and take the game over.
Expect them to start off a bit slow, but by the end, you will be surprised at how good this team is.  ;D

"Bravo Eagle" finally someone who is talking sense. All these Texas teams are having a feeding frenzy off each other and finally someone who knows the Panthers caoching staff. You don't have a winning percentage like coach T and Coach Edwards by letting the sharks taking knips off your heels and keep on winning year after year. I do believe that they are hungry and they want to dethrone the Panthers but I don't see it. Kitchens who has only 2 loses n the past 2 years as infield dad put it was beat by MCM but they forget that he has had a year to mature and just get better and you don't have a .31 ERA #1 in the country by giving up runs, I think that runs are going to be hard to come by for anyone against him and remember you have Yacko in the wings with a .79 ERA # 2 in the country. Then you have that Offense to deal with scoring in the double digits the majority of there games

atl7

Quote from: Blackcat00 on May 08, 2008, 04:12:19 PM
Good Point but look at the final 15 games played as well. Advantage def CTX.

12-3 UTT over last 15 11-4 CTX over last 15
15-5 UTT over last 20 13-7 CTX over last 20

by looking at these numbers the advantage goes to UTT
36-9 record compared to 30-16 advantage UTT

hsusid

Win one of the two games head-to-head last week and it is a moot point. Getting swept the final games, by a team you are likely going to be battling for a playoff spot in your last chances to make an impression on the committee, is not a preferred route to go.

You also have to realize that the head of the committee was in the house for the games last weekend. Like it or not he has a lot of clout.

It also comes down to opponents winning percentage and opponents opponents winning percentage.

The fact that the West was stronger and more balanced especially at the top, upped both percentages for McMurry and Concordia.

My guess is that Concordia's opp win % and opp opp win % was higher than UTT. UTT was 13-8 against teams with a winning record and five of those wins were against teams (MC and UTD) that were barely over .500. The fact that they only played one team in the East with a good winning percentage (Ozarks).

TexasBB

Unless they change the criteria to look at "quality wins" there is no criteria that considers W/L record of all your opponents. So that has nothing to do with it. The criterea is Common opponents, W/L in region, head to head and record against ranked regional opponents. I am less clear about the later catagory. Now that McMurrey is in the CTX record agains those that are ranked or have been ranked in the region is 3-6 (two losses to UTT and 4 losses to McMurrey).  UTTs record is 2-4. No advange there. So the only criteria that CTX wins is the head to head 3-2 all the other criteria UTT wins. The confenence tournament is not supposed to carry anymore weight than any other conference game or so I have been lead to understand. It is obvious however that who ever makes the division rankings is not looking at it that way since UTT was knocked out of the division rankings. If Booher pitched well in that first game which UTT lost 8-7, UTT could very well have won the tournament. Holland did pitch well agains MC and would have pitched well against McM. That first loss really changed everything.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: TexasBB on May 08, 2008, 06:30:44 PM
Unless they change the criteria to look at "quality wins" there is no criteria that considers W/L record of all your opponents.

Actually, they are reflected in the OWP, the OOWP, the record versus regionally ranked opponents and common opponents.  As for non-region non-D-III opponents, that is the nature and definition of D-III.

So that has nothing to do with it. The criteria is Common opponents, W/L in region, head to head and record against ranked regional opponents. I am less clear about the later catagory. Now that McMurry is in the CTX record against those that are ranked or have been ranked   (only the final ranking counts) in the region is 3-6 (two losses to UTT and 4 losses to McMurrey).  UTTs record is 2-4. No advantage there. So the only criteria that CTX wins is the head to head 3-2 all the other criteria UTT wins.   (A big factor)

The conference tournament is not supposed to carry anymore weight than any other conference game or so I have been lead to understand. It is obvious however that who ever makes the division rankings is not looking at it that way since UTT was knocked out of the division rankings. If Booher pitched well in that first game which UTT lost 8-7, UTT could very well have won the tournament. Holland did pitch well agains MC and would have pitched well against McM. That first loss really changed everything.

I agree that it changed things, but I will bet that UTT beating CTX in Game #5 would have boosted them over CTX.  CTX would have been 1-2 in the Tourney.  UTT would have been no worse than 2-2, or even 3-2 or 4-1.
If I am in that committee deliberation, and we are down to #6 between CTX and UTT, I see that CTX has beaten UTT 3 games to two this season, the last two just happen to be in the conference tourney.  I have to give it to CTX.

For McMurry to go from "Greater than #6" to #2 with wins over Mississippi College and CTX (twice), that tells me that there is very little difference between #2 and "#7".

Bulldogbaseball

i think it comes down to strength of schedule...

UTT played a soft schedule throughout the year which got them to be a top 25 team
Concordia won the head to head matchup, but again didn't play a tough schedule.

McMurry took one from Chapman on the road and won their conference and played well when they needed to.
Redlands and East Bay were 1 and 2 in strength of schedule in the west and faired well in region.

The west is so deep that it deserves an 8 team region.

itsd3baseball

ATL7, no offense but none of us are on the committe so you dont have to talk us into anything. But you cant honestly say that you'll had a better final 15 games than Concordia. Its not like were comparing apples to oranges here- youll played them head to head, twice.  And couldnt pull through.  I just know if i was a Concordianite i would be pretty hacked if UTT gets a bid ahead of them.  Again, nothing personal, just pointing that out.  
"I keek a touchdown."

"A fellow has to have faith in God above and Rollie Fingers in the bullpen."

Jack Parkman

After looking at the West region rankings I am curious what you all think.  Does this turn into an 8 team regional with 6 teams flying or does it turn to a 6 team regional with George Fox and CUA (I refuse to say CTX) getting shipped out?  I realize it is pretty unlikely that the NCAA will fly 6 teams but they are going to have to start spending more money if they have pre-determined locations.  If the regional was in CA they could have made it a 6 team site with only 2 flights.  Either way I am curious what everyone thinks.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 08, 2008, 11:50:15 PM
After looking at the West region rankings I am curious what you all think.  Does this turn into an 8 team regional with 6 teams flying or does it turn to a 6 team regional with George Fox and CUA (I refuse to say CTX) getting shipped out?  I realize it is pretty unlikely that the NCAA will fly 6 teams but they are going to have to start spending more money if they have pre-determined locations.  If the regional was in CA they could have made it a 6 team site with only 2 flights.  Either way I am curious what everyone thinks.
Jack, Linfield and GFU plus McMurry and TrinityTX would need to be flown to southern California.

I think that this becomes an 8-team bracket.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 08, 2008, 11:53:52 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 08, 2008, 11:50:15 PM
Jack, Linfield and GFU plus McMurry and TrinityTX would need to be flown to southern California.

I think that this becomes an 8-team bracket.

Wow, I can't believe I wrote that.  I am lost in another world right now.  I was thinking 4 CA teams and McM and Linfield.  Sorry, it's been a long night.

dbat

The west regionals have pretty much been predetermined for the past three years anyways.  I know they havent been predetermined in the past, but in 2007 you fly Austin College, Texas Lutheran, UT Dallas, George Fox to Orange California it sure looks like its predetermined.  I like that they switched up the site McMurry's field is 1000 times better than Hart city park where Chapman plays at.  McMurry's Walt Driggers field is probably one of the best D3 stadiums in the nation.

tloc14

McMurray's field is very nice.  I havent been there in a while but im sure its atleast as good as I last remember.

I would like to see 2 regional sites, one in TX and one in Cali and the winners of each getting a slot in the World Series.  I know thats wishful thinking because there just arent enough teams to constitute the decision.

If D3 could manage some post season like D1 where there are regionals and super regionals I really think that would help out the post season.  Again there probably arent enough teams to do this, but I bet something could be done. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: tloc14 on May 09, 2008, 02:06:36 PM
McMurry's field is very nice.  I haven't been there in a while but I'm sure its at least as good as I last remember.

I would like to see 2 regional sites, one in TX and one in Cali and the winners of each getting a slot in the World Series.  I know thats wishful thinking because there just aren't enough teams to constitute the decision.

If D3 could manage some post season like D1 where there are regionals and super regionals I really think that would help out the post season.  Again there probably arent enough teams to do this, but I bet something could be done. 
Division III  allocates one bid for every 6.5 participating schools.  That is why the field is set at 54 this year, up one bid from 2008.

gatekeper43

Quote from: dbat on May 09, 2008, 11:32:40 AM
The west regionals have pretty much been predetermined for the past three years anyways.  I know they havent been predetermined in the past, but in 2007 you fly Austin College, Texas Lutheran, UT Dallas, George Fox to Orange California it sure looks like its predetermined.  I like that they switched up the site McMurry's field is 1000 times better than Hart city park where Chapman plays at.  McMurry's Walt Driggers field is probably one of the best D3 stadiums in the nation.

Comparitivly speaking Hart Park is one of the better parks that DIII has, or maybe your talking about one of the little league parks they have in college that they try to pass off as a college facility where the stands are 3 bench seats and a bunch of grass for the fans to sit on. Or Maybe a Motel six is the best accomodations for you to spend your weekend at, I know you figure that if you wear them down and they can't sleep because it is right next to a truck stop you might be able to beat them.
    I know that Abeline has one of the nicest stadiums in DIII but not every school has that type of facility for the most part the schools do not look at the baseball programs that do not bring in the revenue for the schools as a high priority, which means they don't get the funding. It's sad but true!!!