Shaylee Sloan: 13 pts, 11 rebs, 4 stls
Clarissa Ramos: 10 pts
Brie Lippert: 6 rebs
Sinead Molloy: 5 stls
Zakiya Newsome: 3:1 a:to

Mikayla Eppard: 29 pts, 12 rebs, 3 stls
Kelly Weyhrich: 6 rebs
Kaela Jones: 6 rebs

Above and beyond the game, I've heard a report from someone who got a text that NPU's freshman starting PG Zakiya Newsome was seriously injured tonight. I hope it isn't so. According to the box score, she only played nine minutes; she came out at the 8:36 mark of the second quarter and never went back in.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

RogK

Newsome's injury is her right knee and I'd assume she'll miss several games, at least. She was attended to in the gym by trainers. Never fun to see anyone get injured; best wishes to her for a quick mend, if possible.
The game was mostly competitive, except when North Park's offense dried up late in the 2nd Q and well into the third. NP was up 29-28 and EC ended the half on a 7-0 run. EC then scored the first 16 points of the 3rd Q, attaining a 51-29 lead.
A lot of players on each team contributed very good effort. Greg cited several.
NP's Sinead Molloy's effort was particularly impressive, including those 5 steals. EC's Hannah Henderson likewise did well, with 4 steals and 5 assists
The turnover totals (21 and 22) were a bit above average, but not many were dumb turnovers, but instead could be traced to smart quick-hands defense.
A side note : Emmy Gryna (played for North Park last year) is evidently enrolled at Elmhurst with the intent to play for the 'jays in '18-'19.

lmitzel

North Central bounced back from a poor shooting night up at Carroll with a 91-78 win over Millikin in Naperville. Mayson Whipple went off for a career high 36 (tying for the third highest mark in program history), and Michaela Reedy scored 19 on a perfect shooting night (6-6, including 5-5 from beyond the arc, and 2-2 at the line). Yanni Sadler paced the Big Blue with 23.

Cardinals shot something like 42 percent from beyond the arc and thanks to Millikin intentionally fouling a ton in the final minutes NCC got to pad its free throw percentages a little bit.

On a non-NCC related note I'll echo the well wishes for Zakiya Newsome and hope for a speedy recovery.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

iwu70

Always sorry to hear about injuries, esp. if serious, needing surgery.  I hope just a strain.  Sending good wishes to Ms. Newsome for a speedy and full recovery.

Hard to know at this stage in the season which teams might make the CCIW tournament.  My guess from what I've seen so far would be IWU, WC, EC and Augie.  Time will tell.  10-11 games to go, so here we go down the stretch to late February, then the D3 dance in March. 

IWU'70

GoPerry

Couldn't watch but looks like a very solid win for Wheaton.  I saw live stats early and neither team was shooting well in the first half.  But the Thunder ladies did enough to get the win.  Saw Jordan Myroth with early points and hope she continues to assert herself.  Hannah Frazier and Kelly Lawson with 10 boards each, Kyler and Dansdill with 9.  Keep it going!

RogK

A 30-10 2nd quarter gave Carthage a 66-53 win at Carroll. The Lady Reds made 13 3FGs to account for 59% of their scoring. Sammie Woodward led the way with 7 threes; her 21 pts from 10 FG att yields a 1.050 eFG%. Autumn Kalis scored 11 on just 7 FG att.
For Carroll, Katie Rossetti tallied 15 pts, 11 rebs, 2 steals while Delaney Sjong had 11 pts and rebs. Rachel Van Sluys didn't play.
CCIW standings :
5-0 IWU
4-2 ELM WHE
3-2 NPU
2-3 AUG CRL CTG NCC
0-6 MIL

Gregory Sager

Quote from: RogK on January 11, 2018, 01:09:41 AM
Newsome's injury is her right knee and I'd assume she'll miss several games, at least. She was attended to in the gym by trainers. Never fun to see anyone get injured; best wishes to her for a quick mend, if possible.

The word I was given was that a torn ACL is suspected. I hope that that report was premature and exaggerated. Zakiya Newsome is one of NPU's most important players.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

It is always an exciting and surprising point in the season. The midway point. We are already halfway through another thrilling Division III basketball season. The best part, we have plenty more basketball to come. The hard part, we are also closer to the season coming to a close.

On Thursday night's Hoopsville, Dave will try and pull out his crystal ball and read the tea leaves on who can sustain their momentum, who may fall off, and which teams could make a run to the end. While we won't have all the answers, some of Dave's guests will be able to give us their insight on their own squad's chances.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7pm here: http://bit.ly/2D3pOrw.

A reminder the Thursday edition of Hoopsville primarily covers the East, Mid-Atlantic, Great Lakes, and West regions, but we will answer any questions about all of Division III throughout the show. You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Matt Croci, No. 10 Wittenberg men's coach
- Jim Scheible, No. 7 Rochester women's coach
- Lori Kerans, Millikin women's coach (WBCA Center Court)
- Danny Young-Uhrich, No. 17 Juniata women's
- Pat McKenzie, No. 15 St. John's men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Rofrog

From what I saw of Wheaton in Nashville playing my beloved Royals.They have a nice team probably one of the tallest teams I have seen Scranton play.It was pretty awesome seeing them in the middle of the court after the game holding hands.Great job to Wheatons coaching staff and players.

RogK

some stats from conference games only :
FT attempts per game
IWU 29
AUG 23
MIL NPU 21
CRL WHE 18
ELM 17
CTG 15
NCC 14
3FG % differential
+.193 IWU
+.121 CTG
+.091 NPU
+.045 MIL
-.026 NCC
-.042 ELM
-.062 AUG
-.101 CRL
-.189 WHE

GoPerry

Wheaton's 3 pt shooting this season has been pretty average which is less effective than they've been used to in past seasons.  They defended the 3 pt arc very poorly in some earlier games but have been better lately.   Mentioned Kelly Thornton in an earlier post who decided not to return for her senior junior year of playing.  She was one of the better Thunder players shooting from the arc.

duckfan41

Quote from: GoPerry on January 12, 2018, 10:07:30 PM
Wheaton's 3 pt shooting this season has been pretty average which is less effective than they've been used to in past seasons.  They defended the 3 pt arc very poorly in some earlier games but have been better lately.   Mentioned Kelly Thornton in an earlier post who decided not to return for her senior year of playing.  She was one of the better Thunder players shooting from the arc.

Kelly is actually a junior, and also plays volleyball and softball. As one could imagine, a 3 sport athlete's life was packed, and basketball was the sport she decided to drop. Thunder definitely missing her stroke from behind the arc.

GoPerry

Quote from: duckfan41 on January 13, 2018, 12:06:45 AM
Wheaton's 3 pt shooting this season has been pretty average which is less effective than they've been used to in past seasons.  They defended the 3 pt arc very poorly in some earlier games but have been better lately.   Mentioned Kelly Thornton in an earlier post who decided not to return for her senior junior year of playing.  She was one of the better Thunder players shooting from the arc.

Kelly is actually a junior, and also plays volleyball and softball. As one could imagine, a 3 sport athlete's life was packed, and basketball was the sport she decided to drop. Thunder definitely missing her stroke from behind the arc.

Corrected.  Thanks.

duckfan41

Quote from: GoPerry on January 13, 2018, 06:39:34 AM
Quote from: duckfan41 on January 13, 2018, 12:06:45 AM

Corrected.  Thanks.

Sure thing! Wheaties gotta stick together 🤙🏼

lmitzel

It's Alumni Day at NCC today, so there will be some festivities prior to tonight's game with Wheaton. There's an alumni game I think at 2, and they will have an introductory ceremony at halftime.

Before the game we're also doing a little ceremony to honor former Cardinal point guard Helen Muleya who passed away last spring. The Cardinals will have special warmups for the occasion, and I think we're also presenting Helen's jersey to her parents. Going to be an emotional late afternoon/early evening.

Really, as long as Wheaton doesn't jump out to a 15-0 lead again to start the game, I think it should be fine.
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE