BB: 2012 West Regional

Started by CrashDavisD3, December 16, 2011, 09:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dahlby

BamColt:
I am sure you meant Whitworth. :-)
Plus K for your 10 year anniversary!

dp643

Congrats to whitworth on winning the west. Represent us well in the world series!

BamColt

Yes my mistake. Trinity and Concordia both had a really good run but hopefully the ASC or the new aligned conference Trinity is in can get someone in there next season.

El Hombre

Congrats to Whitworth and Trinity for great seasons! 

I am happy to see that a West Region team will represent the West in the World Series.  If Whitworth plays as well as it did in the Regional, they will have a great run.  Go Pirates - win one for the West!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: El Hombre on May 19, 2012, 11:55:57 PM
Congrats to Whitworth and Trinity for great seasons! 

I am happy to see that a West Region team will represent the West in the World Series.  If Whitworth plays as well as it did in the Regional, they will have a great run.  Go Pirates - win one for the West!
I am glad that we had 2 West Region teams in the finals!

Coe had a strong run.

Ron Boerger

Congrats to Whitworth - proud of the TU gang for getting to that regional championship game despite the injuries and struggles late in the season.   

BamColt

Shows staying healthy is probably one of the most important factors in late season regional tournaments.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: BamColt on May 20, 2012, 12:29:54 PM
Shows staying healthy is probably one of the most important factors in late season regional tournaments.
Whitworth had 2 errors in 5 games in the West Regionals and only gave up 3 runs in the 4 games they won.
Keys to their West Regional - Good Defense and Good Pitching,
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

108 Stitches

Congrats to Whitworth, they will represent the West well. Strong offensive team, not sure about the pitching beyond Scheibe, but it was good enough to get them through, and they will score a lot of runs. Very young team that will be even scarier in the coming years.

Trinity overcame staggering injuries to get within three innings of Wisconsin. They lost two of the three starting pitchers; their slugging first basemen, and their SS had a severely sprained ankle that left him at 50% at best.

Their biggest issue IMO is their hitting. IMO they should have jumped all over some of the pitchers they faced and struggled stringing together hits against mediocre late tournament pitching. They only lose 1 position player and their DH and have seasoned players ready to step in plus everyone should get better by next year so I would expect an offensive improvement next year. Defensively they are solid and will be even better next year as they only lose one OFer and have more speed to replace him.

From what I saw they had by far the best pitching rotation there and are set for next year even loosing Klimesh and Lucero. They have 10 capable pitchers returning who will be fighting for the top three starting positions, not including any freshmen. From what I heard they have a very strong recruiting class coming in.

It would not surprise me one bit to see this match up next year in the Regionals, the NWC  conference will be dealing with Whitworth for a number of years and they will not be a Cinderella story any more.

Congrats to them and looking forward to see how they do. 

Ron Boerger

108, Ryan's a junior; was his injury career-ending?

wildcat11

Quote from: (509)Rat on May 19, 2012, 09:35:35 PM
Rat pile on the mound after the last out. 9-2 final

Congrats to Whitworth on the Regional title.  509...your baseball field is about 200 yards behind the Whitworth field house if plan on going to watch a game next year.

108 Stitches

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 20, 2012, 01:34:04 PM
108, Ryan's a junior; was his injury career-ending?

Tommy John, rehab time ~15-18 months, will likely redshirt next year.

Whatagame

Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on May 20, 2012, 12:40:24 PM
Whitworth had 2 errors in 5 games in the West Regionals and only gave up 3 runs in the 4 games they won.

Yes, looking at the team stats for the regional, Whitworth was #1 in BA by a wide margin.  They were #2 in team ERA with a 2.25, with #3 CTX a ways back at 4.3, and they were #1 in fielding %.  Great performance.  Bottom of the lineup seemed to really produce.  When you consider how closely bunched the top 4 to 5 teams were in the NWC standings, it speaks to it being a pretty good conference this year..

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Whatagame on May 20, 2012, 04:26:53 PM
Quote from: CrashDavisD3 on May 20, 2012, 12:40:24 PM

Yes, looking at the team stats for the regional, Whitworth was #1 in BA by a wide margin.  They were #2 in team ERA with a 2.25, with #3 CTX a ways back at 4.3, and they were #1 in fielding %.  Great performance.  Bottom of the lineup seemed to really produce.  When you consider how closely bunched the top 4 to 5 teams were in the NWC standings, it speaks to it being a pretty good conference this year..
#1 in fielding percentage with #2 in ERA gets you the Championship in the Regionals. This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.   Do these well and you win games
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0ZHQ6GWlSM
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html