A VERY EARLY 2013 Central Region Preview...

Started by BigPoppa, May 23, 2012, 03:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigPoppa

Looking at teams with All-Region players coming back in 2013, my incredibly complex formula of 3,2,1 for hitters on the all-region squads and 4,3,2  for the pitchers (I value pitchers a bit more than hitters), here is what I have computed as a 2013 regional preview:

1.Wartburg/Wheaton/Chicago 5 pts
4. NorthPark 4
5. WashU/IWU/Coe/Central 3
9. Webster 2
10. Cornell/Elmhurst/Greenville 1

As usual, this means absolutely nothing but it did give some props to WashU and Chicago heading into the 2012 season. If form holds true, we should keep an eye on Wartburg, Wheaton and Chicago as teams looking to break into the discussion next year. Notably absent from this list is Carthage, St. Norbert, and Augustana... teams that generally fare well in the region.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

CCIWFAN6

BP, I am assuming you are going off of the D3baseball All-Region list.  IWU would be at 6 points going off of the coaches teams.

Kohawk Krazy

I know you have very early in the subject line, but I can't take anything serious that has Cornell in the top 10.

BigPoppa

Quote from: Kohawk Krazy on May 30, 2012, 07:56:46 PM
I know you have very early in the subject line, but I can't take anything serious that has Cornell in the top 10.

:) Noted

BigPoppa

OK.... here we go.... after talking with some insiders (and the voices in my own head) and looking at what is returning for each program, I threw it all away and went with my gut on this. Here is my preseason Central Region rankings:

1. North Park- They have continued to improve every year that Luke Johnsnon has been at the helm. Return All-American pitcher Nick Soldano.

2. Webster- Solid program that steamrools the SLIAC every year. They have upgraded their non-conference schedule so we should get a true feel for the strength of this program early on.

3. Illinois Wesleyan- All-American Kevin Callahan bring his mighty bat back to IWU for another season. Titans are loaded with bats, but if they can find some decent pitching, they should stack up Ws by the handful.

4. WashU- Solid program that made some waves last season. This could be the season that they break through on a national level. They have been on the cusp for the past 5 years.

5. North Central- Arms, arms, and more arms! If they can squeeze out a few runs here and there they could easily be a contender in the region. Their pitching depth will make them a force to be recokned with if they can get deep into a regional.

6. Chicago- Many considered them the biggest snub of the 2012 NCAAs. Expect the Maroons to come out with a massive chip on their shoulder once the snow clear in The Windy City.

7. Insert random IIAC team here... such a balanced conference that it is tough to predict who will come out on top.

8. Carthage- One has to believe that last year's stumble was a blip on the radar. A coach does not get elected to the ABCA Hall of Fame if he cannot adjust to adversity. Augie Schmidt Field opens this season and I find it tough to believe he won't have a contending team on a field that bears his name.

9. Insert #2 IIAC team here... truly, I cannot predict this unpredictable conference.

108 Stitches

Nice to read about other areas of the country and someone who takes the time to do some research and have an opinion.

CaliRamRL6

Quote from: Kohawk Krazy on May 30, 2012, 07:56:46 PM
Stop hatin' KK  ;D... I hate to admit it but I do agree with you.

izzy stradlin

Quote from: BigPoppa on February 04, 2013, 12:06:16 PM
OK.... here we go.... after talking with some insiders (and the voices in my own head) and looking at what is returning for each program, I threw it all away and went with my gut on this. Here is my preseason Central Region rankings:

1. North Park- They have continued to improve every year that Luke Johnsnon has been at the helm. Return All-American pitcher Nick Soldano.

2. Webster- Solid program that steamrools the SLIAC every year. They have upgraded their non-conference schedule so we should get a true feel for the strength of this program early on.

3. Illinois Wesleyan- All-American Kevin Callahan bring his mighty bat back to IWU for another season. Titans are loaded with bats, but if they can find some decent pitching, they should stack up Ws by the handful.

4. WashU- Solid program that made some waves last season. This could be the season that they break through on a national level. They have been on the cusp for the past 5 years.

5. North Central- Arms, arms, and more arms! If they can squeeze out a few runs here and there they could easily be a contender in the region. Their pitching depth will make them a force to be recokned with if they can get deep into a regional.

6. Chicago- Many considered them the biggest snub of the 2012 NCAAs. Expect the Maroons to come out with a massive chip on their shoulder once the snow clear in The Windy City.

7. Insert random IIAC team here... such a balanced conference that it is tough to predict who will come out on top.

8. Carthage- One has to believe that last year's stumble was a blip on the radar. A coach does not get elected to the ABCA Hall of Fame if he cannot adjust to adversity. Augie Schmidt Field opens this season and I find it tough to believe he won't have a contending team on a field that bears his name.

9. Insert #2 IIAC team here... truly, I cannot predict this unpredictable conference.

WashU just completed the CCIW sweep of games against NP, IWU and NCC (No 1, 3 and 5 above).  That plus beating Webster (No 2) and you have to figure they are penciled in at the top if regional rankings came out today.