MBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by steelyglen, February 15, 2005, 09:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

scott

sounds like a total change in culture is in need. it will be interesting to watch that happen. I'm one of those fair weather fans you mentioned. I did not attend any game past 2 years. both my boys graduated recently (2015 & 2018) and they rarely attended and both like b'ball and indicated student body does not even think of attending.

all goes in cycle, when I came through the student body would attend the RMC & W&L games, that was it; fast forward to the Tony Shaver days and I would make the drive from home once per week, just about every week.

hopefully hsc will  be back on right path sooner than later

hasanova

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 09, 2019, 03:33:56 PM
I appreciate the input. The only reason I said, "RMC and everyone else" was solely on the conference records, as I stated earlier. I said, "top two guys" because I was using the top two scorers that those teams were losing. I do know that RMC return their top two scorers, but also lose four of their next five guys. As I said, I appreciate the input and that's what I wanted. I'm not very familiar (obviously) with the ODAC but was impressed with both Guilford and RMC. I'm not sure Guilford would've received a Pool C had they lost in the conference tournament, but I'm leaning towards yes. Thanks again.
Thanks.  Guilford lost a couple of conference games they probably should have won, but you're right, we finished second with a 12-4 record.  I'm not sure we would have gotten a Pool C bid, so I was sweating it.  Winning the ODAC tournament, fortunately, took that off the table.  The Quakers definitely got better as the season went on.

thescottharris

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on April 09, 2019, 05:21:36 PM
scott

sounds like a total change in culture is in need. it will be interesting to watch that happen. I'm one of those fair weather fans you mentioned. I did not attend any game past 2 years. both my boys graduated recently (2015 & 2018) and they rarely attended and both like b'ball and indicated student body does not even think of attending.

all goes in cycle, when I came through the student body would attend the RMC & W&L games, that was it; fast forward to the Tony Shaver days and I would make the drive from home once per week, just about every week.

hopefully hsc will  be back on right path sooner than later
I had a few student employees quit on me, they all essentially said they weren't getting paid enough to have to watch those games. Honestly couldn't blame them. First year in the job is minimum wage, each additional year in the job only gets a 25 cent per hour raise.

I'm excited to see what Caleb will do. I know it's likely going to take at least a couple years for any significant effect to show int he wins and losses unless he kicks ass recruiting right away, but I would love to see a squad out there with a more competitive spirit (they can be more competitive even if they still lose most of the games) and a better team identity. I think it's hard to build an identity when the starting lineup changes nearly every game, the consistency with minutes and rotation is completely unpredictable game to game, and when the talent you want to build the system around isn't good enough to run that system. Like two years ago the team was supposed to be built around the post players, but not a single one was anywhere close to being All-ODAC worthy. This past season was supposed to be one built to space out the floor and shoot a lot of 3s. There was only one player who shot a good % from three - Cole Atwood - and his minutes and role varied wildly game to game.

tigerFanAlso2

scotth

all good points are illustrates what we already know .... hard to overcome bad coaching.

On to the next chapter in HSC basketball ... it can only get better from here which is basically tied for worse program in odac

Tiger Mic

I will be having a chat with new HSC basketball coach Caleb Kimbrough at 8:00AM tomorrow (Thursday) on WFLO FM 95.7 (Farmville).  The station streams on www.wflo.net and can also be found on the TuneInRadio app. 

He's excited to get started and I hope our fans will tune in.

badcall!

Anyone know whats going on down at E&H?  Here it is almost May and still no announcement of a new head coach.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: badcall! on April 25, 2019, 01:07:36 PM
Anyone know whats going on down at E&H?  Here it is almost May and still no announcement of a new head coach.

I had heard they were announcing the end of last week, then I heard some time this week.  I'm almost positive all the interviews were done more than a week ago.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Seatfiller

I was wondering about this also.  I hope they have most of their roster coming back or it might be a rough start for the new coach (no time to recruit).

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Seatfiller on April 26, 2019, 10:12:56 AM

I was wondering about this also.  I hope they have most of their roster coming back or it might be a rough start for the new coach (no time to recruit).

I believe the assistant has stayed on for recruiting.  We should hear Monday.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

There's still nothing on the website, but as far as I know this was announced this afternoon:

https://www.gowasps.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Thompson_Ben?view=bio

Here's the announcement: https://www.gowasps.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20190429ofyoad

thescottharris

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 29, 2019, 04:17:14 PM
There's still nothing on the website, but as far as I know this was announced this afternoon:

Here's the announcement: https://www.gowasps.com/sports/mbkb/2019-20/releases/20190429ofyoad
Looks like a strong hire. He will have one heck of a backcourt to work with. Hopefully for E&H's sake Colin Molden can stay healthy for an entire year.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: scotth on April 29, 2019, 06:04:36 PM

Looks like a strong hire. He will have one heck of a backcourt to work with. Hopefully for E&H's sake Colin Molden can stay healthy for an entire year.

He's definitely got local connections and has shown an ability to recruit to Canton, NY, which... well, google it.

Seatfiller

Quote from: scotth on April 29, 2019, 06:04:36 PM

Wow on paper that looks to be a very good hire.

Pat Coleman

I think it will be a good hire as well. Other than perhaps this year's recruiting class, I don't expect E&H to miss a beat.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hasanova

Three point line is moving back.  It will affect DI this season and DIII next ... will match international distance.