TOP 25

Started by short, July 11, 2008, 10:56:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Upstate on November 01, 2010, 11:12:08 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2010, 10:30:51 AM
Yeah, it's a new conference and the teams are just not very good. They're comparable to the NEFC teams.

I think the top NEFC teams would handle SUNY-Maritime quite easily...

Probably. But on a national level, to a Whitewater fan, it was enough to say they were comparable. The difference between being No. 170 and No. 190 is not particularly significant.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

PA_wesleyfan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2010, 11:40:21 AM
Yeah, it's a new conference and the teams are just not very good. They're comparable to the NEFC teams.

Probably. But on a national level, to a Whitewater fan, it was enough to say they were comparable. The difference between being No. 170 and No. 190 is not particularly significant.

Unless you are the team with the 170.  ;D  Moral victory ;)
Football !!! The ultimate team sport. Anyone who plays DIII football is a winner...

K-Mack

Whomever draws SUNY-Maritime and the NEFC rep will basically get a bye week...

I agree with your first statement, but not your second one. NEFC rep is no gimme anymore.

I think six of the NEFC teams didn't have football 10 years ago. And I'm not sure if that counts Gallaudet, which flip-flopped from club to varsity in that time period.

SUNY-Maritime is not bad, and per the fair access guidelines, if they win all their games, who can say they don't deserve to be in? Because you can't really tell what their ceiling is.

But having seen them play this season, I would say they are regionally ranked about where they belong and a playoff win would not be something I'd expect.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: K-Mack on November 04, 2010, 06:39:31 PM

Whomever draws SUNY-Maritime and the NEFC rep will basically get a bye week...

I agree with your first statement, but not your second one. NEFC rep is no gimme anymore.

I think six of the NEFC teams didn't have football 10 years ago. And I'm not sure if that counts Gallaudet, which flip-flopped from club to varsity in that time period.

SUNY-Maritime is not bad, and per the fair access guidelines, if they win all their games, who can say they don't deserve to be in? Because you can't really tell what their ceiling is.

But having seen them play this season, I would say they are regionally ranked about where they belong and a playoff win would not be something I'd expect.

The descent Curry teams are a thing of the past Keith...

WNEC lost to Norwich 35-7...

Endicott scored a whopping 3 points vs RPI...

K-Mack

Understood, re: Curry. I did the NEFC preview for Kickoff.

I was basing it part on a mighty Empire 8 team losing to a NEFC team in the playoffs in '08, and part on the game I saw Maine Maritime play against Montclair State in last year's first round. The NJAC had more size and skill, but the NEFC was not overmatched. That option is tough to stop if you've rarely seen it, but also they played fairly even save a couple of long drives where they fumble.

It's not, in my humble opinion, a bye week.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

pg04

I really don't think there's any way to say if SUNY-Maritime will compete or not until they get to the playoffs.  They could come into the playoffs and win one or two games -- even though it's not likely.  It's really hard to tell from their regular season. 

K-Mack

Quote from: pg04 on November 04, 2010, 09:13:31 PM
I really don't think there's any way to say if SUNY-Maritime will compete or not until they get to the playoffs.  They could come into the playoffs and win one or two games -- even though it's not likely.  It's really hard to tell from their regular season. 

I agree that unbeaten teams are hard to gauge no matter the level of competition they've played.

I happen to have seen SUNY-Maritime this year, before we knew they were going to go on this kind of run, so I'm more informed than I otherwise might be.

I would say the UW-Stevens Point team that lost to UWW this week and has no chance of making the playoffs would beat them bad. Like three touchdowns bad.

That said, the playoffs aren't about who would beat who (as odd as that sounds) so much as who earned their way in by beating the teams on their schedule. SUNY-Maritime is doing that.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Pat Coleman

All of the previously voted-on D3football.com Top 25 polls are now on the new site. There's a link in the menu bar at the top of each poll page marked Previous years.

http://www.d3football.com/top25/index
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

GuyFormerlyPSBBG

I am not sure where to post this but seems like it should be a good place.

I think d3sports/d3football/d3hoops/d3soccer/d3baseball etc :) should host some fall/winter/spring opening classics down here in FL.

I am sure it would be quite a trip for any school, but there are tons of athletes down here in FL that never get a chance to play at the next level because there are no d3 schools down here. Here is my of reasons to come down:

1) So I can see some d3sports live :)
2) As noted above great exposure for d3 schools and athletes
3) It is always nice down here :)
4) Pat Coleman and staff can wear tropical shirts, get some sun, and relax :)
5) Non FL d3 schools have a reason to send some admission staff down here.
6) The list could go on and on.

etbu27

All of those reasons make me want to come visit right now.  ;D
ETBU Softball-2010 National Champions!

K-Mack

Quote from: GuyFormerlyPSBBG on June 24, 2011, 06:00:05 PM
I am not sure where to post this but seems like it should be a good place.

I think d3sports/d3football/d3hoops/d3soccer/d3baseball etc :) should host some fall/winter/spring opening classics down here in FL.

I am sure it would be quite a trip for any school, but there are tons of athletes down here in FL that never get a chance to play at the next level because there are no d3 schools down here. Here is my of reasons to come down:

1) So I can see some d3sports live :)
2) As noted above great exposure for d3 schools and athletes
3) It is always nice down here :)
4) Pat Coleman and staff can wear tropical shirts, get some sun, and relax :)
5) Non FL d3 schools have a reason to send some admission staff down here.
6) The list could go on and on.

No. 1 is a good reason!

No. 4 ... nobody wants to see us in tropical attire. Trust. lol
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

Ralph Turner

With respect to Cortland State in this week's Top 25, #15 Cortland State travels to #11 Montclair State and loses by 1 point.

What outcome would one expect?  Montclair State did not even "cover" Home Field Advantage!

Why do they drop out of the poll?

That just doesn't seem to fit the logic that usually governs most decisions on D3sports.com Polls.

What have I missed?

Pat Coleman

Crossposting from E8 discussion:

Well, (points went) one at a time to more or less all the teams in between Montclair and Cortland today. Also to teams that made big moves this week. This isn't going to be a direct one-to-one correlation but Huntingdon gained 46 points, Kean and Montclair combined to gain 67, Salisbury gained 70 ... I mean, obviously they all went somewhere but like we pointed out on Facebook, tough week to lose. Only two teams lost, they were within range of falling all the way out if you consider that an isolated loss by a Top 25 team tends to cost them 12 spots in a vacuum. And Huntingdon and Birmingham-Southern were pushing to get in, as was UW-Oshkosh with its win at Eau Claire.

Points consolidated in the NJAC, 889 last week and 773 this week.

Ralph Turner

Thanks, Pat. Not meaning to spam the boards, but I wanted to catch both conversations that might arise.

Pat Coleman

S'alright. It was relevant. :)