Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

The good folks at d3playbook.com let us know that a group called NACAC, the National Association for College Admission Counseling, publishes a voluntary list of colleges that still have openings which is updated daily.  While the web site allows some filtering it's best to download a CSV and use your favorite spreadsheet or other tool if you want to really poke at the data.  Looking at private institutions you will unsurprisingly see a good number of D3 schools still looking for bodies, and in the public arena a few of the UW family are still open.  Of schools based in the US, there are a *lot* more private schools still open (193 as of this writing) than public (89), though schools must be members of the NACAC to participate.  There is a searchable directory here if you want to see if a school is a member, though that doesn't guarantee participation in this particular program.

Kuiper

Quote from: Ron Boerger on April 02, 2023, 08:15:01 PM
Article in the LA Times regarding struggles at Whittier, which has seen enrollment decline from roughly 1850 to 1200 since 2018.  Besides the numerical issues, there's apparently a leadership crisis.  Endowment for a school that size is actually decent ($120m).

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-03-30/whittier-college-hit-with-low-enrollment-financial-woes

One of the accompanying charts shows enrollment at La Verne with a similar percentage decline.

UPDATE:  Whittier College's President is stepping down

https://twitter.com/latsondheimer/status/1657368122289160192?s=20

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-05-12/whittier-college-president-resigns-amid-financial-troubles-plunging-enrollment

QuoteIn recent years, Whittier has seen enrollment plunge 35%, from 1,853 students in 2018 to about 1,200. The decreases have driven down annual revenue by 29% over roughly the same period, according to audited financial statements. In an effort to balance the books, the college last year cut football and three other sports programs and unveiled plans to sell the president's residence, Wardman House, a hilltop mansion with views to the ocean.

D3Navy

Quote from: Kuiper on May 13, 2023, 10:39:09 AM
Quote from: Ron Boerger on April 02, 2023, 08:15:01 PM
Article in the LA Times regarding struggles at Whittier, which has seen enrollment decline from roughly 1850 to 1200 since 2018.  Besides the numerical issues, there's apparently a leadership crisis.  Endowment for a school that size is actually decent ($120m).

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-03-30/whittier-college-hit-with-low-enrollment-financial-woes

One of the accompanying charts shows enrollment at La Verne with a similar percentage decline.

UPDATE:  Whittier College's President is stepping down

https://twitter.com/latsondheimer/status/1657368122289160192?s=20

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2023-05-12/whittier-college-president-resigns-amid-financial-troubles-plunging-enrollment

QuoteIn recent years, Whittier has seen enrollment plunge 35%, from 1,853 students in 2018 to about 1,200. The decreases have driven down annual revenue by 29% over roughly the same period, according to audited financial statements. In an effort to balance the books, the college last year cut football and three other sports programs and unveiled plans to sell the president's residence, Wardman House, a hilltop mansion with views to the ocean.

It seems DEI initiatives, at the expense of sports, for example, have had a major impact on alumni support:

https://savewhittiercollege.com/home-2/letter-to-kenya-williams/statement-of-no-confidence-president-oubre/

Kuiper

Another DIII institution has announced it's closing.  Medaille University in Buffalo, which is a member of the Empire 8 conference (and I believe the Allegehny Mountain Collegiate Conference), will close at the end of the summer.

https://www.wivb.com/news/education/colleges-universities-buffalo/medaille-university-to-close-aug-31/

QuoteBUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Medaille University announced it will be closing this summer, following the termination of its integration deal with Trocaire College last week.

The official last date for the school will be Aug. 31.

Medaille cited "financial instability, declining enrollment, outstanding liabilities, and other challenges that are impacting institutions of higher education across the region, state and nationally" as its reasons for closing.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Kuiper on May 15, 2023, 04:01:55 PM
Another DIII institution has announced it's closing.  Medaille University in Buffalo, which is a member of the Empire 8 conference (and I believe the Allegehny Mountain Collegiate Conference), will close at the end of the summer.

https://www.wivb.com/news/education/colleges-universities-buffalo/medaille-university-to-close-aug-31/

QuoteBUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) — Medaille University announced it will be closing this summer, following the termination of its integration deal with Trocaire College last week.

The official last date for the school will be Aug. 31.

Medaille cited "financial instability, declining enrollment, outstanding liabilities, and other challenges that are impacting institutions of higher education across the region, state and nationally" as its reasons for closing.

Once that merger fell through you knew this woud happen.  Probably Trocaire had a look at their financials once they got deep into discovery and said "no way we want any part of this mess."

Ron Boerger

If you want a post-mortem of how bad the situation was at Finlandia before they finally shut it down:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/the-college-that-mortgaged-everything

You'll have to sign up for a free account to read it, but man, it's hard to believe the school lasted as long as it did with the amount of financial mismanagement that went on over decades.  Makes you wonder how many other schools have similar issues under the cover just waiting to finally come to light.   

Gray Fox

Quote from: Ron Boerger on June 05, 2023, 08:55:25 AM
If you want a post-mortem of how bad the situation was at Finlandia before they finally shut it down:

https://www.chronicle.com/article/the-college-that-mortgaged-everything

You'll have to sign up for a free account to read it, but man, it's hard to believe the school lasted as long as it did with the amount of financial mismanagement that went on over decades.  Makes you wonder how many other schools have similar issues under the cover just waiting to finally come to light.   
Maybe Whittier can hire him.  He had god ideas, but his  hands were tied.
Fierce When Roused

Kuiper

Sad news out of the Atlantic East Conference.  Cabrini is being sold to Villanova.  This will be its last season of D3 sports.

https://d3sports.com/notables/2023/06/cabrini-university-to-be-sold

QuoteCabrini University is expected to be sold to Villanova University and will cease operating as a separate entity after the 2023-24 academic year and sports season, D3sports.com and Hoopsville have learned.

This continues the trend of larger, Division I institutions, taking over Division III institutions in the same area and closing the smaller school. Cabrini and Villanova, two Catholic schools in the Philadelphia suburbs, sit less than 2 miles apart.

The information was confirmed by multiple sources. The sources could not speak on the record because they are not currently authorized to speak publicly about the subject. An official announcement is expected once Villanova's full Board of Trustees votes. The plan has already been approved by a board committee.

The sale comes as Cabrini has lost nearly half of its student population, especially in the graduate student population. The school had 1,235 full-time undergraduate students, 61 percent of them women, as of its most recent published filing with the U.S. Department, through the 2021-22 academic year.

UPDATE:  It's now official.  Here's the joint statement from Villanova and Cabrini

https://www1.villanova.edu/content/university/media/press-releases/2023/agreement.html

Of note, the agreement does not state that Cabrini students who will not graduate this next academic year will become Villanova students. Cabrini will assist students with transfer options, but this is a straight land/facility acquisition, not a real merger.

kate

On this extremely sad topic of the closure of several Division 3 colleges and universities, i would beg all of us who love these schools deeply to make sure that they are ALL financially viable.   Please don't think it couldn't happen to my school because it is becoming more common place each month/year.   Support them however you can, monetarily of course, word of mouth, attending their functions and touting their graduates!

NJRoyal137

I'm so curious about these mergers / acquisitions - can a public school absorb or merge with a private school and vice versa? What typically happens to the athletic dept. and alumni in these situations (esp. if it is between two D3 schools)?

I do wonder if we will continue to see more of this as enrollment continues to declines for private universities - could some of the major state schools purchase them enhance their local footprint and in other situations - convert more distant institutions into satellite schools? 

Gregory Sager

Quote from: NJRoyal137 on June 25, 2023, 12:13:33 PM
I'm so curious about these mergers / acquisitions - can a public school absorb or merge with a private school and vice versa?

Delaware State just acquired Wesley College two years ago. The Wesley campus is now called DSU-Downtown.

Quote from: NJRoyal137 on June 25, 2023, 12:13:33 PMWhat typically happens to the athletic dept. and alumni in these situations (esp. if it is between two D3 schools)?

Depends upon the situation. Each instance is different.

Quote from: NJRoyal137 on June 25, 2023, 12:13:33 PM
I do wonder if we will continue to see more of this as enrollment continues to declines for private universities - could some of the major state schools purchase them enhance their local footprint and in other situations - convert more distant institutions into satellite schools?

It's entirely possible.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Shamrock

Quote from: kate on June 24, 2023, 08:12:24 AM
On this extremely sad topic of the closure of several Division 3 colleges and universities, i would beg all of us who love these schools deeply to make sure that they are ALL financially viable.   Please don't think it couldn't happen to my school because it is becoming more common place each month/year.   Support them however you can, monetarily of course, word of mouth, attending their functions and touting their graduates!

THIS!!!! 

Also, be an advocate for your school and for higher ed. generally.  Educate yourself on the debt load your alma mater's students graduate with and the placement rates of your institution.  You may be surprised at how well your alma mater stacks up!  Then, when you hear folks talking about how expensive it is and how fruitless it is you can talk about the real results coming out of your alma mater.

There are bad situations out there in terms of student debt load and student placement upon graduation, but those bad situations are by and large not taking place at D-3 schools.  But if folks don't know the truth about what takes place at an individual institution, the illusion becomes real and enrollment craters and schools close.

Pat Coleman

Not only is it possible, we are pretty sure it will happen.

Someone I talked to in the process of Dave and I breaking the Cabrini story said there were a dozen similar conversations going on across the country, most involving a large school and a D-III school.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

NJRoyal137

Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 28, 2023, 09:52:19 AM

Someone I talked to in the process of Dave and I breaking the Cabrini story said there were a dozen similar conversations going on across the country, most involving a large school and a D-III school.

Have you heard anything about Scranton? I feel like they are in a good spot but also have value.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: NJRoyal137 on June 28, 2023, 04:29:28 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on June 28, 2023, 09:52:19 AM

Have you heard anything about Scranton? I feel like they are in a good spot but also have value.

With a $275M endowment (as of a year ago) they would not appear to be in any financial difficulty.