BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cubs

Quote from: mwunder on May 11, 2023, 11:43:45 AM

Records vs regionally ranked opponents.
Aurora 4-1
Webster 5-1
Benedictine 2-4 (loss head-to-head with NC)
North Central 1-2
Wash U 0-1
MSOE 1-3
Are these just records against other ranked Region #8 opponents?

The reason I ask, is MSOE defeated UWO twice this season, and the Titans checked in at #6 in the latest Region #9 Regional Rankings that were released yesterday...
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

mwunder

Quote from: cubs on May 11, 2023, 01:28:39 PM
Quote from: mwunder on May 11, 2023, 11:43:45 AM

Records vs region 8 ranked opponents.
Aurora 4-1
Webster 5-1
Benedictine 2-4 (loss head-to-head with NC)
North Central 1-2
Wash U 0-1
MSOE 1-3
Are these just records against other ranked Region #8 opponents?

The reason I ask, is MSOE defeated UWO twice this season, and the Titans checked in at #6 in the latest Region #9 Regional Rankings that were released yesterday...

Fixed it...sorry for the confusion.  I just concentrated on Region 8, but I could expand it to include all regions.

mr_b

The CCIW Tournament has reached the all-or-nothing final game after Illinois Wesleyan won its third consecutive game against Augustana, 3-1. The Vikings loaded the bases in the 7th and 8th innings and came away with just one run.

mr_b

A real head-scratcher (for me, anyway): Augie starts Sammer (9.95 ERA), and he lasts just 2/3 of an inning, allowing a hit and three walks.  Reusch is on in the top of the 1st after working 4.2 IP in yesterday's start vs. North Central.  Boushele has not appeared at all for the Vikings in the tournament, so I wonder if he has been hurt.

mwunder

Quote from: mr_b on May 13, 2023, 03:13:54 PM
A real head-scratcher (for me, anyway): Augie starts Sammer (9.95 ERA), and he lasts just 2/3 of an inning, allowing a hit and three walks.  Reusch is on in the top of the 1st after working 4.2 IP in yesterday's start vs. North Central.  Boushele has not appeared at all for the Vikings in the tournament, so I wonder if he has been hurt.

I've been watching from Wisconsin wondering the same thing.  He pitched last Friday against Wheaton.

mr_b

Matt Ozanic tripled and scored on a short sac fly to right to tie the game 5-5 in the bottom of the ninth and followed up with a dramatic RBI single to plate the winning run for Augie in the 10th.

mwunder

Quote from: Augie6 on May 10, 2023, 10:50:45 PM
I know there are not a lot of posters on this board, but can someone explain to me how Augie drops out of the Central Region rankings this week?  The are in the 1st set of rankings, are somehow 7th in the 2nd week and then drop out all together in week 3 of the rankings, despite winning the CCIW regular season by 4 games, finishing the year on a 16 game win streak, having the 2nd best record in the Central region behind Aurora, and being the 17th ranked team in the country in the D3baseball poll.  This seems extremely odd to me and really hard to understand.

This did generate some discussion on the board, but Augie made it all moot with their play this past weekend.

Augie6

Quote from: mwunder on May 15, 2023, 10:46:48 AM
I know there are not a lot of posters on this board, but can someone explain to me how Augie drops out of the Central Region rankings this week?  The are in the 1st set of rankings, are somehow 7th in the 2nd week and then drop out all together in week 3 of the rankings, despite winning the CCIW regular season by 4 games, finishing the year on a 16 game win streak, having the 2nd best record in the Central region behind Aurora, and being the 17th ranked team in the country in the D3baseball poll.  This seems extremely odd to me and really hard to understand.

This did generate some discussion on the board, but Augie made it all moot with their play this past weekend.

I appreciate the responses and, have to admit, I was a little worried if Augie would have lost their final against IWU, if they would have even made the tournament.  Thankfully, that didn't happen.  Good luck to Augie in the post season!!
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

mwunder

Quote from: Augie6 on May 15, 2023, 01:51:09 PM
Quote from: mwunder on May 15, 2023, 10:46:48 AM

I appreciate the responses and, have to admit, I was a little worried if Augie would have lost their final against IWU, if they would have even made the tournament.  Thankfully, that didn't happen.  Good luck to Augie in the post season!!

Is Harrison Boushele hurt?

mr_b

Augie drops the regional opener to UW Stevens Point, 6-4.  The Vikings were down 6-1 after five frames but stranded a total of 11 runners.  Boushele pitched four innings after not appearing in the CCIW Tournament.  He allowed three runs on five hits; he struck out five and walked two.  Pickering worked five innings for Point.  The Vikings will face the loser of the Loras-Webster game in the elimination contest tomorrow.

mr_b

Webster rolls over Loras, 15-0, in the second game of the Stevens Point regional.  The Gorloks jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first, added two in the second, four in the fifth, six in the seventh, and two in the eighth.  They pounded out 17 hits and four home runs while three Gorlok pitchers scattered four singles.  Webster will face Stevens Points in the winner's bracket while Augie squares off against Loras in the elimination game.

mr_b

Augie staves off elimination with a 5-4 victory over Loras.  The Vikings will face the loser of the Stevens Point-Webster game.

mr_b

Point demolished Webster, 20-1 (six round-trippers for the Pointers), so Augie will face the Gorloks in the next elimination game.

mr_b

Webster hangs on for a 9-8 elimination win over Augustana.  The Gorloks will face Stevens Point tomorrow.

BigPoppa

Quote from: cubs on May 04, 2023, 01:51:13 PM
Quote from: mwunder on May 04, 2023, 12:55:42 PM
Not much chat here in CCIW baseball, but I can't help but wonder what's going on in Kenosha?  The team hasn't won 20 games once over the past 4 non-covid seasons.  This season and the last two have produced 25 or more losses.  Since they went 31-12 in 2018, they are 60-101 (29-63 in CCIW).  What happened to the program?
They've stopped getting the Wisconsin kids from the Fox Valley to come to Kenosha and play baseball....  Some may think it's not that simple, but consider this:

When Carthage was competing for CCIW, Regional and World Series titles in the past, the entire lineup was from Wisconsin with just the occasional guy from Illinois.  Looking at their roster this year, they have 14 kids from Wisconsin and over half (8) of those are from Kenosha.  There isn't a single kid from north of Highway 21 (the Fox Valley) which used to be where they got the guys like Muthig, Everts, Winfield and Hallock that built the program into what it used to be.

I'll defer to BigPoppa on just about everything Carthage, but I don't think that it's a mere coincidence...

I am just as frustrated and baffled as the rest... with Carthage's tuition climbing rapidly, they have often been unable to go after those blue-collar Fox Valley kids (like myself) and have been forced to recruit the more-affluent North Suburbs of Chicago. It may be a stereotype, but the North Suburb kids cannot handle Augie's demanding nature in the same way the kids from the Fox Valley could... Brian Mosher, long-time pitching coach at Carthage, left years ago and the program has struggled to recruit the Fox Valley kids since. Mosher was from the Valley and had a lot of ties.

As an alum, it's frustrating knowing how great of a coach Augie truly is and they are simply unable to get the results they need from their arms.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.