MBB: NESCAC

Started by cameltime, April 27, 2005, 02:38:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stlawus

Quote from: quicksilver on May 11, 2023, 07:03:41 PM
@NESCAC1 -- Here is another recruit for Bowdoin:

Matteo Cervone, Haldane HS (NY), 6-5, SG:https://sportsrecruits.com/athlete/matteo_cervone

Got to see him play at the NYS final 4 back in March.  Solid player, pretty polished under the rim.  Needs some development like most players but he has a decent amount of athleticism.  Listed at guard along with forward but he played center/PF for Haldane, didn't see him take many outshot shots.   He's big enough to play forward in dIII.

Bucket

Quote from: nescac1 on May 10, 2023, 10:36:48 AM
Wow, SpringSt, not sure how I missed that! 

There is also an (unconfirmed and not quite as well-sourced) report on the transfer board that Thoerner is headed to D1 UC-Irvine ...

DIII connection at UC-Irvine. HC Russell Turner was national Player of the Year at Hampden Sydney in early 90s. Saw him play a bunch against my W&L Generals and then got to know him a bit when he and a buddy worked for Dave Odom at Wake Forest during the Tim Duncan days. Russell and I were both groomsmen in my buddy's wedding . . .

nescac1

Sobel to Sacred Heart is official, so I assume this means his eligibility is all clear:

https://twitter.com/shu_menshoops/status/1658537617280086016?s=46&t=f6sxXDdfYkdSSeU0Te9c9A

gordonmann

nescac1

Updated recruit list.  NERR significantly updated its New England rankings, and that is reflected below:

Amherst:
Nate Pablis, 6'6 SG, Flint Hill (VA)
Johnny McCain, 6'0 G, Canterbury
Marc Garraud, 5'8 G, Noble and Greenough

Bates:
Cole Decker, 6'5 G, Archbishop Stepinac (New York)
Babacar Pouye, 6'7 F, Cate School (CA)
Marc Begin, 6'3 G, Brewster Academy
Jaelen Jackson, 5'11 G, South Portland H.S. 

Bowdoin:
Justus Bardauskas, 6'7 F, Loomis Chaffee
Ben Chilson: 6'5 SG, Tunkhannock (PA)
Natrel Allen, 6'4 SF, Deerfield (PG)
Matteo Cervone, 6-5 SG, Haldane HS (NY)

Colby:
Marcos Montiel, 6'3 G, Brooks School
Sam Hinman, 6'0 G, St. Sebastian's
Matt Lamy, 6'4 G, St. Paul's School
Kam Rodriguez, 5'9 G, Berkshire School
Savion Stroud, 6'2 G, St. Paul's School

Conn College:
Tom Harrison, 6'5 G, Christ's College, New Zealand
Dylan Watson, 6'6 W, Fox Lane (NY)

Hamilton:
Connor Jenkins, 6'5 F, Willison Northampton
Nate Raub, 6'8 F/C, Payton Prep (Chicago, IL)
William Holmes, 6'8, F, Ithaca H.S. (NY)
Jalen Reese, 6'6 F, Gilford (NH) (#99 in New England, #19 in NH)

Middlebury:
Ian Murray, 6'3 G, Governors Academy
Kuba Cwalina, 6'5 G, Archbishop Malloy (NY)

Trinity:
Jared Berry, 6'0 PG, Vermont Academy (#87 in New England, #2 in Vermont)
Tristan Davis, 6'6 F/C, Frederick Gunn (CT) (#30 in CT)
Paul Ippolito, 5/11 G, Williston Northampton

Tufts:
Liam Kennelly, 5'11 PG, Millbrook School
Jon Medley, 6'2 G, Wilbraham & Monson
Zion Watt, 6'6 W, Crossroads School (CA)

Wesleyan:
Jack Williamson, 6'2 G, Williston Northampton
Hunter Fleming, 6'8 C, Northfield Mount Herman
Ben Lyttle, 6'5 F, Stepinac (NY)
Reid Celestin, 6'6 G, Brewster Academy (#101 in New England, #20 in NH)

Williams:
Matt Devine, 6'4 G, Berkshire School (#98 in New England)
Tyler Van Gorp, 6'10 C, New Trier (IL)

lumbercat

Another Bates recruit:
Marc Begin 6'3" G Brewster Academy

nescac1

Thanks lumbercat, added to the list!

names jaismith

Another NESCAC assistant gets his shot at being a HC.  Corey Begly from Conn is the new head coach at Washington College in Maryland.  League isn't as deep top to bottom as NESCAC, but the top -Hopkins and Swarthmore - is really formidable.  He's learned from a real good one in Tim Sweeney at Conn.  Good luck to him as he tries to revive the Washington College program. 

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

SpringSt7

For those who haven't seen, Josh Loeffler is leaving Johns Hopkins to be an assistant at the University of Cincinnati. I bring it up here because I would have to assume that vacancy will be of interest to a number of sitting NESCAC head coaches. Something to keep an eye on.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

nescac1

Looking back to fall 2013, it's interesting how Nescac posters hyped Duncan to a pretty ridiculous degree for an untested first-year, but at the same time dramatically understated what his impact would be and certainly who he would become:

Toad: However, a first year, 6'7" Duncan Robinson, is so good that I doubt that he'll be on the bench very much. He doesn't look, or play, like a NESCAC kid. He will be a force, and very soon.

Nescac1: I saw one non-highlight video (it's out there if you look) of Robinson playing a full game vs. very good defenders on Choate.  At least two of the primary guys guarding him are big, very athletic guys who will be frosh on Ivy League teams, the types of frontcourt defenders you frankly rarely see in D-3.  He struggled a bit at times vs. their physicality and athleticism a bit on the defensive end (although he acquitted himself fairly well and tried hard), but Robinson was able to score a lot of points (24 in total) vs. their very aggressive defense, including several deep well-contested threes. and even added 10 boards.  I think it may take a bit of time and strength for him to be able to stop college 3's and 4's defensively and to rebound well for his height, but he should be able to score the ball right away.  It's just not easy to guard a 6'7 forward with 24-foot range who can also drive it a bit.  Every so often a guy comes in who is strangely and foolishly missed by D1 schools and who in hindsight could easily have succeeded early on at the D-1 level, some guys because of senior-year injuries (Nogelo, Mayer, Workman), some because of very late growth / physical development (Sharry, I think he also may have had an injury to boot although not sure about that), some because of concerns of being as Toad says a few inches short for their position as well as playing in under-the-radar programs (Toomey, Olsen, Whittington, Wang all qualify on both fronts).  I think Robinson certainly belongs in the same mix as that group as a college prospect, with the possible exception of Nogelo who to me immediately stood out above other NESCAC guys.  Of course, every single player on that list improved immensely over four years, so even with that level of ability, nothing comes easy and it takes a lot of hard work, good fortune with health, and so on.   If Robinson can have roughly the same impact as a first-year as Toomey did for Amherst, I will be very happy. 

Middhoops: For a good D1/D3 comparison, find Youtube vids on Duncan Robinson and Kurt Steidl.  I think most NESCAC teams probably had the two of them at or near the top of their lists a year and a half ago.  Midd was looking forward to Robinson's visit when he cancelled, having decided on Williams.  Steidl had a monster senior year (player of the year in CT) and got a scholly to Vermont where he is expected to become a star (at the lowest rung of D1 hoops).  Take a look and tell me if you can tell any substantive difference.

middhoops

Ouch.  Wrong, yet again, I was.
Guess DR had a bit more upside than Steidl, eh?

toad22

Quote from: middhoops on June 10, 2023, 04:00:33 PM
Ouch.  Wrong, yet again, I was.
Guess DR had a bit more upside than Steidl, eh?

One guy who did not have it wrong regarding Robinson's talents was Mike Maker. Maker recruited Duncan very hard, starting at Governor's Academy, and he finally committed in the fall of 2012 from Exeter. Mike was so high on him that I drove to Exeter to watch him play in a holiday tournament. I was very impressed with Duncan's play, and also, how far it is from Williams to Exeter! A week or so later I was in Mike's office & asked how good Mike thought Duncan was. His answer blew my mind. He said that he had recruited D1 players for 20 years before coming to Williams. He said that Duncan was the first player he ever recruited that he was confident would play "professionally in that league with three initials". He never used the name NBA regarding players. Bad luck? Mike completely believed in Duncan's ability. That was 2012 and Duncan was still in prep school!

A few years ago, Mike didn't want me to tell this story, maybe because it seemed self-serving. He doesn't think he "made" Duncan or anything like that. Duncan did it on his own. I hope enough time has past that he isn't mad at me!