MBB: Midwest Conference

Started by siwash, February 10, 2005, 01:32:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

siwash

Feb. 12  <BR>Illinois C. at Grinnell...GC  <BR>Monmouth at Lake Forest...MC  <BR>Lawrence at St. Norbert...LU  <BR>Carroll at Ripon...RC  <BR> <BR>Feb. 16  <BR>Carroll at Beloit...CC  <BR>Knox at Grinnell...KC  <BR>Illinois C. at Lake Forest...LFC  <BR>Ripon at St. Norbert...RC  <BR> <BR>Siwash

jeff p

Roop-
Local talent should help feed the stands a bit. I hope it works!

Gregory-
101 at the lake and 106 in Muscatine when we got there at 3:30. 99 in Grinnell upon arrival at 6:00. The tar was dripping out from underneath the shingles on our farmhouse when we got home!

AM-
"that girl" tells a similar story about falling asleep on a bus and, upon awakening, finding herself in unfamiliar territory. She thought she recognized a building and started walking-11:00 at night. Wrong building, and lots of attention given to a lone 23 year old woman walking. She said she just walked as if she knew what she was doing and why she was there and emerged unscathed at a cab stand. She says she saves her sleeping for the L now-At least at night she is usually northbound, but she has made it all the way to the end of the brown line way more than once!

"The Roop"

24 hours from now and I will be signing papers on my new (to me) wheels. The OSHA Violator is dead, long live the OSHA Violator. Does anyone need an 85 Crown Victoria ? 105,000 actual miles and it rides great. You won't pass many gas stations but you will get to them very fast and in comfort. I take PayPal.

"The Roop"

JeffP - I hope you're right about local kids bringing more fans to the games. I also hope that translates into the concession stand preparing more than 5 hot dogs at a time. They always have plenty of gum and candy bars, but I don't want gum and candy bars. I want a soda, a dog (or three) and I don't want to wait 10 minutes for it and miss the start of the second half.

It will be nice to see somebody from Beloit play for BC again. Not to disregard Manuel Fergus but he moved there from Texas while in high school. I know CJ Tubbs dad, on a sort of "Hi how you doing" basis, but so does everyone in/from Beloit I think. Charlie is pretty well known there. He's about as close to a celebrity cop as you can get.

Don't know anything about the other recruits really, although getting someone from Sun Prarie (northside of Madison basically) is a real plus. Same high school conference as Beloit Memorial and there are always a number of D1 prospects in that league.

Walworth-Bigfoot always plays good competition and the Orfordville kids have the benefit of playing together already. Should be interesting in two years.

Mr. Downtown

A question from the WIAC.

Seeing that this year, Oshkosh kicks off there season against Lawerence, how is Lawerence going look this upcoming season?

Plus, does Josh Hinz still play for Beloit? I remember back at good ole Fort High he lead my high school to State in 2000. Honestly, with how much talent he has, perhaps he should've went to a WIAC school. Oh well, perhaps those recuirts you were talking about will help him out.

Gregory Sager

That's a very sound rule of thumb, AMc, but it only works if you're on the North Side. If you're on the South Side, I definitely do not recommend walking to the lake first and then walking north.

Jeff, tell your daughter to always call a cab or a friend who has a car if she's by herself and she doesn't know where she is in the city. The longer she's here the less likely she'll be to have a predicament like that one (or AMc's), but in the meantime the sound policy is "better safe than sorry" for a woman in the city. And a cell phone is a must for urbanites for any number of emergency-related reasons -- as I keep telling my dopey younger brother who refuses to get one.

Nothing wrong with falling asleep on the Brown Line, though. I do it all the time on my way home from work! Of course, my stop's the last stop on the line, anyway.

badgerboy

Mr Downtown

LU should be solid.  They have almost their entire frontline back.  They did lose their starting guards to graduation, but appear to have had a strong recruiting class.  Should be a good battle as LU goes for 3 in a row against Oshkosh.

Looks to me like Oshkosh should be WIAC favorites this year.

AMcClary

Gregory -  

Aside from a trip to the old Comiskey park for a game and one trip to the Science and Industry museum, I'm not sure I ever traveled to the South Side during my 2.5 years living in Chicago. So, while I agree with your point, the rule as stated worked for me.  

That said, I seem to remember thinking about taking the el south and walking east to the S&I museum, but after the C-G incident, it seemed like a (MUCH) better idea to take the el down to the Loop and then pick up a bus on Michigan Avenue.

jeff p

Gregory-
"that girl" has had a cell phone attached to her ear for 8 years now, and she is MUCH more aware of her surroundings. She got attacked by a bag lady early on  while in a great neighborhood so she learned quickly. She doesn't post here during the off season, but she does read, so I'm sure she will take your warning to heart. Better coming from someone other than her father. :-)

As early as she has to go to work, you two probably pass each other on the Brown Line every morning!

BTW, the play she is in just got a "Critics Picks" mention in the Windy City Times. It was fun to see it sandwiched between plays at the Theatre Building and The Steppenwolf!

"The Roop"

Mr. Downtown - Yes, Hinz is still at Beloit, he will be a Senior this year. I don't know if he would be as much of a stand out performer in the WIAC but he did have a few D1s looking at him. He chose Beloit for the opportunity to play right away and I don't know if he could have done the same in your league.

Mr. Downtown

probably not, and seeing that Beloit is a private school, and even though they are not supposed to give athletic scholarships, im sure Hinz got his fair share of grants to go there. (Seeing that it roughly costs 25,000 dollars a year to go there) and going to high school with him, and having my valvictorian of my class go there (as she had close to a 4.0 all through high school), I can pretty much assure you that he didn't have the grades either (not saying he's stupid, but seriously, its really hard to get into Beloit!). Thats why I was wondering why he didn't go to a school in the WIAC, in which he could have easily gotten into the majority of them, and the price range (around 10,000 dollars a year) is a LOT lower then Beloit's.  

Trust Roop, there are plenty of school Hinz would have played for right away (LaCrosse, Oshkosh at the time, Eau Claire, Superior to name a few).

Speaking of Oshkosh, yes Oshkosh has to be the favorite this year in the WIAC. Of course, no UW-
Whitewater fan would say that (well, very few acknowledge that)) but everyone in the WIAC agrees that Oshkosh is the favorite.

If I had to place Oshkosh according to the nation poll...don't be surprised if they are in the top 15 starting the year. This team, has an chance to do some damage in the tournament. They might not have Kaslow nor Bennett like Point did the past two seasons, but this starting line up is more complete then Point's. I really do think that Oshkosh can be easily an elite 8 team, with an outside chance of making to the final four/championship game.

Titan 2000

I hope TVD is working hard this summer planning for the season.  Anything less than the WIAC championship will be a dissapointment.

"The Roop"

Oshkosh, LaCrosse, Eau Claire and Superior are all much farther away from Ft. Atkinson than is Beloit. Although I don't know how much that factored into his decision, if at all.

While it is difficult to get into Beloit, it isn't as hard to succeed there academically after you make it in. I grew up there and have had more than one student tell me that. That goes all the way back to when it was only $8,000 a year to go there.

What aid he gets I don't know and really don't worry too much about. I don't want to speak for anybody but I've had brief conversations with some family members of his and they strike me as the type that can probably afford the tuition anyway.

"The Roop"

According to their website Beloit only plays a 21 game schedule this year. Since 12 are home games I can't complain about that, but a 33 day lay off in Dec-Jan seems a bit unusual. Are they still trying to add games or possibly going to an as yet to be determined tournament somewhere??? Perhaps a double secret D1 exhibition tournament.

Old School

Not that I know anything about anything, but I wouldn't think a team would release an incomplete schedule.  Of course, like I said, what do I know? http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>