FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IC798891

Quote from: UfanBill on April 21, 2023, 06:13:39 PM
Toughness, Discipline and Finish are the core beliefs that new Union head football coach John Poppe will emphasize to his Dutchmen this fall. The 38 year old Poppe's enthusiasm has caught the attention of his players as they start their spring practices this weekend...Union opens it's season at 2nd year program Hilbert College in Hamburg, NY on Sept.2. :o Yes, I know what you're thinking. More of the 2023 Union schedule as it's announced.   

Best of luck to Union in its scrimmage.

When does their season start?

stlawus

Ike Irabor gets picked up by the Giants for rookie mini camp.  Would be cool as a Giants fan to watch a LL guy on the team. 

Caz Bombers

Quote from: stlawus on April 29, 2023, 09:22:19 PM
Ike Irabor gets picked up by the Giants for rookie mini camp.  Would be cool as a Giants fan to watch a LL guy on the team.

Caz seconds that emotion

UfanBill

UNION has released it's 2023 Schedule...https://unionathletics.com/sports/football/schedule ...The OOC games are at Hilbert, at Worcester St. and home against Springfield and Montclair St.

FTC
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

UfanBill

Quote from: IC798891 on April 23, 2023, 11:45:58 AM
Union opens it's season at 2nd year program Hilbert College in Hamburg, NY on Sept.2. :o Yes, I know what you're thinking. More of the 2023 Union schedule as it's announced.   

Best of luck to Union in its scrimmage.

When does their season start?

After what should amount to tuneups with Hilbert and Worcester St. Union's season really starts with a week#3 match-up with rival Springfield. Scheduled as a "Friday Night Lights" game, 7:00 pm kickoff. This will be the first Union home night game in quite some time.

BTW IC798891...Hilbert, who is transitioning into full Empire 8 membership in 2024 also has LL foes Hobart and Buffalo St., St. John Fisher and Endicott on their ambitious 2023 schedule.     
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Bartman

Quote from: Caz Bombers on April 29, 2023, 11:26:43 PM
Quote from: stlawus on April 29, 2023, 09:22:19 PM

Caz seconds that emotion
Just catching up on Irabor news. Good luck to this Dutchman on making it with the Giants. Giants were a few picks away from getting Ali Marpet, his childhood team,  but Tampa scooped him up and he started every game he played for them including a Super Bowl. I hope Irabor makes it on the Giants and starts a  Monday Night game and continues Ali's mocking of Ohio State by introducing himself from THE UNION COLLEGE.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Jersey42

Some of this has been posted before, but I believe these are the 2023 non-conference opponents (with 2022 records) for all of the LL schools.
Ithaca clearly has the most challenging schedule with 2 NCAA playoff teams and a third that was probably the last team out.
I doubt the schedules for any of the other teams will help if they are in the running for an at large berth.

Buffalo St
Brockport (7-3)
Apprentice (9-1) non D3 school
at Dean (1-9)
Hilbert (0-7) 2nd year program

Hobart
at Alfred (2-8)
Morrisville (7-4)
Keystone (3-7)

Ithaca
at Johns Hopkins (10-1)
at Endicott (10-1) NCAA playoffs
at Alfred (2-8)
Cortland (9-2) NCAA playoffs

Rochester
Utica (10-2) NCAA playoffs
Alfred State (5-5)
at Salve Regina (6-4)
at University of New England (5-5)

RPI
at Dickinson (3-7)
Wilkes (7-3)
at WPI (4-6)
Dean (1-9)

St. Lawrence
at Endicott (10-1) NCAA playoffs
Norwich (3-7)
at Western New England (4-6)
Castleton (5-5)

Union
at Worcester St. (1-9)
Springfield (7-3) NCAA playoffs
Montclair St. (2-8)

ICAlum16

Hi everyone,

New member of the board here. As you can all tell by my name I am an Ithaca College alum and proud Bomber but also have close ties with a few other LL teams. I am excited to engage in some health debate with you all as we approach the season.

Go Bombers!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ice Bear

Quote from: ICAlum16 on May 26, 2023, 04:24:42 PM
Hi everyone,

New member of the board here. As you can all tell by my name I am an Ithaca College alum and proud Bomber but also have close ties with a few other LL teams. I am excited to engage in some health debate with you all as we approach the season.

Go Bombers!

Welcome +k
A long time fan of DIII Football!

Ice Bear

Toughness, Discipline and Finish are the core beliefs that new Union head football coach John Poppe will emphasize to his Dutchmen this fall. The 38 year old Poppe's enthusiasm has caught the attention of his players as they start their spring practices this weekend...Union opens it's season at 2nd year program Hilbert College in Hamburg, NY on Sept.2. :o Yes, I know what you're thinking. More of the 2023 Union schedule as it's announced.   

Ice says Poppe seems absolutely out of his ****ing mind intense, and the Ice Bear loves this! We'll see how it translates to the field. Poppe's history around the type of student athletes that Union attracts along with what appears to be his attention to detail and high expectations will hopefully lead to continued success. Ice says let's beef up this mother****ing OOC schedule and we'll be in business.

Ice also wants to give props to IC for this fantastic OOC schedule. Ice says he'd love to see LL teams start to schedule more competitive OOC games across the board. IC looks like they are looking to try and build towards the next tier with last year's team success, the intensity with which they played every down, and their 2023 scheduling. Ice says much respect.
A long time fan of DIII Football!

ICAlum16

Quote from: Ice Bear on June 02, 2023, 02:24:14 PM

Ice says Poppe seems absolutely out of his ****ing mind intense, and the Ice Bear loves this! We'll see how it translates to the field. Poppe's history around the type of student athletes that Union attracts along with what appears to be his attention to detail and high expectations will hopefully lead to continued success. Ice says let's beef up this mother****ing OOC schedule and we'll be in business.

Ice also wants to give props to IC for this fantastic OOC schedule. Ice says he'd love to see LL teams start to schedule more competitive OOC games across the board. IC looks like they are looking to try and build towards the next tier with last year's team success, the intensity with which they played every down, and their 2023 scheduling. Ice says much respect.

Ice, any word on where the various Union transfers landed? It seemed to be quite a few talented players curious to hear if you think they have been able to reload with their recruiting class and what your expectations are for UC this coming season?

unionpalooza

Quote from: ICAlum16 on June 02, 2023, 07:26:28 PM

Ice, any word on where the various Union transfers landed? It seemed to be quite a few talented players curious to hear if you think they have been able to reload with their recruiting class and what your expectations are for UC this coming season?

Freshman WR Dunneman landed at Georgetown, and S Diavon Clements landed at Central Missouri.  At least going by Twitter, neither CB Azarai Lewis nor WR Avery Turton landed anywhere; don't know if that means they'll be back or what.  Of these, Dunneman's loss will be felt, as he was a special talent, but the secondary will be just fine as they return their best CB and S, and and they're are strong guys coming up that will step in.

Word is recruiting was strong - I think the approach was to focus less on flash and more on toughness and leadership.  (Think WRs who will block hard, secondary guys who crave contact, etc.; things we've maybe not fully had the last few years.)  I think every part of the team will be better with the exception of WR, where there are some holes to fill, though plenty of talent.  Overall, I suspect we'll be much less schemed-focused than during the Behrman days.  Given that both IC and RPI will start to lose their COVID boost of a million 5th year guys, I think that this year will be a classic IC/RPI/Union/Hobart dogfight.  I think we'll have a better shot than last year, where the 6-4 record looked worse than a season where the team's inexperience meant that they didn't quite have the finish to hold on to leads over Ithaca, Hobart, and Utica.   

ICAlum16

Quote from: unionpalooza on June 03, 2023, 11:09:00 AM
Quote from: ICAlum16 on June 02, 2023, 07:26:28 PM

Freshman WR Dunneman landed at Georgetown, and S Diavon Clements landed at Central Missouri.  At least going by Twitter, neither CB Azarai Lewis nor WR Avery Turton landed anywhere; don't know if that means they'll be back or what.  Of these, Dunneman's loss will be felt, as he was a special talent, but the secondary will be just fine as they return their best CB and S, and and they're are strong guys coming up that will step in.

Word is recruiting was strong - I think the approach was to focus less on flash and more on toughness and leadership.  (Think WRs who will block hard, secondary guys who crave contact, etc.; things we've maybe not fully had the last few years.)  I think every part of the team will be better with the exception of WR, where there are some holes to fill, though plenty of talent.  Overall, I suspect we'll be much less schemed-focused than during the Behrman days.  Given that both IC and RPI will start to lose their COVID boost of a million 5th year guys, I think that this year will be a classic IC/RPI/Union/Hobart dogfight.  I think we'll have a better shot than last year, where the 6-4 record looked worse than a season where the team's inexperience meant that they didn't quite have the finish to hold on to leads over Ithaca, Hobart, and Utica.

This year will certainly be more of a dog fight. Albeit my bias, I do think IC is still the favorite. They return the reigning LL OPOY, 3/5 members of their OL, top 2 RBs, Top WRs, Top TE and were younger on the DL with lots of Sophomores getting significant time last year. They will look to rebuilt on the linebacking core as that was a veteran led group but Ithaca will always have strong depth at the LB position.  The secondary will continue to be strong as they return a top player at S and major contributors at CB.

The most interesting storyline for the Bombers will be replacing their OC and OL coach, Sean Reeder (PENN TE Coach) and DC Trevor Warner (Stonybrook DB Coach). Coach Terp will not be overseeing the defense and they have younger coaches taking over the other position. I think they are still a veteran enough group to overcome these losses this year but will be interesting over the next 2-3 years.

Lastly, Bombers also get Hobart and UC at home this year which should still be an advantage despite the new turf going in (I believe still on track to be played on this year. Probably why their first three games are on the road this year). Bombers have had Hobart's number since they started playing regularly in 2015. It will continue to be a battle with RPI and UC! Can't wait.

Bartman

Good luck to Ben Frank, graduated Hobart SR OLineman  who accepted a spot on the D1 Akron Football team this past January. He was a potential 5th year that now has a chance to start D1. He will be missed along with a number of Statesmen Seniors. It looks like Ithaca will be stacked and will have the inside track for the LL title, which means an unexpected upset by the Statesmen at Ithaca would be mighty tasty. New turf at Boswell this season.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath