MLB Topics

Started by Mr. Ypsi, February 08, 2008, 06:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: OshDude on October 29, 2010, 08:46:21 AM
Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on October 28, 2010, 02:35:18 PM
Has anyone figured out what Lincecum was thinking when he had the runner dead off 3rd base last night and just let him get safely back to the bag?
Strikeouts are sexier than 1-5-2-6 putouts. My money is on that thought.
Some people differ on the strikeout thing....
http://movieclips.com/XMqB-strikeouts-are-fascist/
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

Jim Dixon

Has anyone figured out what Lincecum was thinking when he had the runner dead off 3rd base last night and just let him get safely back to the bag?

I love a clean 1-5-2-6.

My favorite put out I have seen was a 1-2-3  which ranks up with two putouts by the first baseman at third - that took some time to develop.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Jim Dixon on October 29, 2010, 03:43:28 PM

I love a clean 1-5-2-6.

My favorite put out I have seen was a 1-2-3  which ranks up with two putouts by the first baseman at third - that took some time to develop.

I was always partial to the 2-6-2 doubleplay on a double steal attempt.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

Piobark

Personal all time favorite was a 8-3-2-5 triple play. Runners on first and third, fly to center, and the guy on first got greedy...

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Piobark on October 29, 2010, 06:34:15 PM
Personal all time favorite was a 8-3-2-5 triple play. Runners on first and third, fly to center, and the guy on first got greedy...
Were you "8", or
were you "3", or
were you "2" or "5"?

Surely you were not the greedy baserunner, or the really slow guy who could not make it home safely from third on a fly ball to center?

If you were the batter who was robbed of a SAC FLY or a fan in the stands, then we all understand.   ;)

CrashDavisD3

Piobark

LOL...

Sorry for the late response... I was sitting in the stands. This was a Pony league game.

Fly ball was to medium center. CF came up throwing, 1B cut it off near the mound, heard the catcher calling home - and threw it there in time to catch the runner who was jogging home. Runner on first had tagged, went to second on the throw - equally bad baseball - and then went to third thinking everyone would be asleep. Wrong. Out by 20 feet.

It does represent one of two triple plays I've seen in my life - the other was a simple 5-4-3 where the ground ball pulled 3B over next to the bag.

Ralph Turner

Baseball Player Quits, Says "I Don't Deserve $12M"

Royals starter Gil Meche walks away from a guaranteed contract

"When I signed my contract, my main goal was to earn it," Meche told the paper from his temporary home in Lafayette, La. "Once I started to realize I wasn't earning my money, I felt bad. I was making a crazy amount of money for not even pitching. Honestly, I didn't feel like I deserved it. I didn't want to have those feelings again."

Joe Wally

Last night my White Sox gave up a no hitter to Frankie Liriano who came into the game with an ERA over nine.  This team could get no-hit by a batting tee right now.  We suck out loud!   >:(

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Joe Wally on May 04, 2011, 09:31:23 AM
Last night my White Sox gave up a no hitter to Frankie Liriano who came into the game with an ERA over nine.  This team could get no-hit by a batting tee right now.  We suck out loud!   >:(
That's okay.  The Twins cheated.   ;)

Liriano owes Morneau a steak dinner, or something nicer and more expensive!

With baseball salaries the way that they are now, a treat of a steak dinner just doesn't have the flare that it once did.

forheavendial4999

Ever seen a putout by 8?

Ralph Turner

Quote from: forheavendial4999 on May 05, 2011, 01:25:43 AM

Ever seen a putout by 8?
Yes, all the time, but I think you mean something different.   :)

I once saw the CF come on a short fly ball to the edge of the grass.  He then got involved with a run-down.

He got the tag at second base.

Joe Wally

Dewey Evans used to do it with some regularity from right field at Fenway.  That dude had a gun for an arm.  A far more rare occurence from center.

Ron Boerger

Thought this might be of interest to some here: Beckett Opens Up About Youth, Off-Season Workouts 

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2011/04/15/beckett-opens-up-on-youth-off-season-workouts/

The D3 connection is where he does his off-season training.   :)

Mr. Ypsi

I'm well aware of the definition of a perfect game, but it may be time to recognize some gray areas.  First, of course, is Harvey Haddix with probably the greatest game ever pitched - perfect for 12 innings, only to lose in the 13th.  Last year, Galarraga pitched a perfect game, but Jim Joyce stole it on the 27th out.  (To his everlasting credit, Joyce was immediately apologetic, in fact distraught, after seeing the replay; to his even greater credit, Galarraga did not even protest, but just gave a bemused smile and made the 28th consecutive out - like Haddix, he pitched a 'MORE-than perfect game'.)

Add Justin Verlander to the list.  After 7.1 perfect innings, he gave up a walk - maybe.  Replays make it a dubious call, at MOST an inch or two outside, and IMO strike three rather than ball four.  He proceded to get the next guy to hit into a double play.  IMO, a complete game win facing only 27 batters is 'perfect'.

Any other nominees to the 'perfect game asterisk' club?! :D