Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caz Bombers

http://libertyleagueathletics.com/news/2017/11/9/hobart-chosen-as-2017-18-favorite-in-liberty-league-preseason-mens-basketball-poll.aspx

agree on Hobart being the team to beat, based on returners. Skidmore seems like they'll still be super fun to watch as that Rupkus dude could average 25-30 ppg. RPI has been down a while, but the coaches have them third? Hmm, interesting. SLU fourth would be a really down year for them. Vassar would have to bounce back from a terrible season to reach the prognosticated 5th place, Ithaca 6th seems about right after a lousy final season in the E8. RIT, Union and Clarkson as also-rans seems about right, Union and Clarkson in particular got totally wrecked by graduation. Then Bard...who is Bard.

btw women's race would seem to be compelling as IC and RIT picked tied for 1st only 2 points ahead of Skidmore (who has a returning All-American).

Five days until basketball!!

magicman

Edvinas Rupkus, Skidmore guard, has been selected as a D3hoops 2nd Team All American. I'll get to see him play when my Plattsburgh State Cardinals invade the Williamson Sports Center on November 20th at 7:00 PM. Should be an exciting game   

Bartman

GO Bart....opener tonight against the Cardinals.....help me get over football season
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Hobart 48....Fisher 32 at the half
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Hobart beats #19 St. John Fisher.......87-75...impressive season opener
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Caz Bombers

Pretty strong 4-1 opening night for the Double L, coulda/shoulda/woulda been 5-0 but IC couldn't hold a 9-point lead at Cortland. Bart of course with the big result over ranked Fisher but RPI, Skidmore and Union also cruised respectively over Cobleskill, Castleton and Hartwick. 6'6" D2 transfer Dakpe Yiljep went Beef Moe for Skidmore with 25 and 11 on 10-13 from the floor.

Decent chance at another 4-1 on Friday as only Bard is a real no-chancer at Rochester. Would be impressed if St. Lawrence beats NESCAC Bowdoin on a neutral floor.

stlawus

Watching SLU's opener against Bowdoin.  I can see why these guys lost to the national champs by 4 last year.  They are a gigantic team.  Getting bailed out on the 3 point line, otherwise SLU playing decent defense.

stlawus

SLU loses their opener 80-74 but I was very impressed by this SLU squad.  Lost 2 really good guards to graduation but the freshman backcourt looked very good.  Bowdoin is an extremely strong team and SLU surpassed my expectations for that game by quite a bit. 

Caz Bombers

Blowout wins for Ithaca and RPI over SUNY Canton and Framingham State, respectively. Clarkson let a double-digit lead get away in a 3-point loss to Bridgewater State across town at Potsdam's gym. Bard kept it within 20 at #16 U of R, which is about all you can ask for.

Tomorrow will see Vassar (at Rhodes) and RIT (home against Wells) join us in the 2017-18 campaign.

Caz Bombers

Skidmore absolutely smoked Plattsburgh 88-62. Looks like it's the Horsies and the Pumpkins at the top of this conference.

Bartman

Hobart beats #16 U of R 70-61. Good overall balanced scoring with Lesko the hot hand tonight. Still 20+ TOs for both teams , so not pretty at times...but Hobart looks fairly deep this year and does what they have to do to win.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Caz Bombers

Hobart is legit. Couple tremendous wins to start the fall.

Mixed bag for the rest of the league this evening. RPI blew out Sage and St. Lawrence beat SUNY Canton (who is probably just a tomato can at this point), but you don't like to see Bard, Vassar, RIT and Clarkson getting run off the floor by (respectively) Hartwick, New Paltz, Alfred and Oswego. I thought Vassar would be better than this and I'm getting the distinct impression Clarkson might just be awful.

stlawus

Quote from: Caz Bombers on November 21, 2017, 11:23:09 PM

Mixed bag for the rest of the league this evening. RPI blew out Sage and St. Lawrence beat SUNY Canton (who is probably just a tomato can at this point), but you don't like to see Bard, Vassar, RIT and Clarkson getting run off the floor by (respectively) Hartwick, New Paltz, Alfred and Oswego. I thought Vassar would be better than this and I'm getting the distinct impression Clarkson might just be awful.

SUNY Canton was up 20 on SLU at one point in the first half.  They hit almost every shot in the first. Size wise they are as big as a D1 team and have an Aussie 7 footer.  But SLU finally started hitting shots in the 2nd half and ran away with it in the end.  I give props to SUNY for playing an absolutely brutal schedule.   Looks like a pretty big gap after Skidmore and Hobart right now.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: stlawus on November 22, 2017, 07:35:30 AM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on November 21, 2017, 11:23:09 PM

SUNY Canton was up 20 on SLU at one point in the first half.  They hit almost every shot in the first. Size wise they are as big as a D1 team and have an Aussie 7 footer.  But SLU finally started hitting shots in the 2nd half and ran away with it in the end.  I give props to SUNY for playing an absolutely brutal schedule.   Looks like a pretty big gap after Skidmore and Hobart right now.

SUNY Canton worked hard to get a schedule that could earn them an NCAA berth - now they just have to win enough to make a case.  It's going to be tough, but they're trying.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

There is always a large gathering of friends and family around a large table with plenty of food that helps ring in the new basketball season. Many call it Thanksgiving, we tend to call it the second weekend of the Division III season.

And one again the early weeks of the season have not disappointed... nor been lacking surprises.

Preseason Top 25 teams have lost as often as turkeys have been overcooked this holiday week. Teams who have had surprise starts have followed up with continued surprises or more head-scratching results. However, no matter the games and no matter the wins and losses, we are thankful to have the season here and be able to talk about it.

On Sunday's Hoopsville, Dave tries to gobble up the leftovers and figure out who was granted their wish after the snap of the wishbone. At the same time, we take the time to recognize a milestone at D3hoops.com: 20 years of being ... D3hoops.com - the home of Division III men's and women's basketball.

Dave also chats with a new dynamic duo in Baltimore. Hope Josh Loeffler and Catherine Bixby are settling into jobs that have seen the same coaches (Bill Nelson and Nancy Funk) in over thirty years.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 PM ET (or On Demand) here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2017-18/nov19. You can also listen to the podcast, located to the right, after the show is off the air.

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Pat Coleman, Editor-in-Chief, D3sports.com
- Tim Sweeney, Hobart men's coach
- Josh Loeffler, Johns Hopkins men's coach
- Katherine Bixby, Johns Hopkins women's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.