MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

duckfan41

Quote from: Hoosiersfan2323 on February 18, 2018, 11:57:25 AM
The regular season has come to a close, and the IIAC tournament has shaped up as such:

1. Nebraska Wesleyan (22-3 overall, 13-3 IIAC)
2. Loras (19-6 overall, 12-4 IIAC)
3. Buena Vista (17-8 overall, 10-6 IIAC)
4. Simpson (13-11 overall, 9-7 IIAC)
5. Wartburg (16-9 overall, 9-7 IIAC)
6. Central (10-15 overall, 7-9 IIAC)

For the sake of sparking debate and continuing the conference MVP conversation that briefly occurred over the past few days, I wanted to review each of the candidates (as I see them) a little deeper (listed in alphabetical order, stats conference-only):

Sam Amsbaugh (Simpson SR): 18.7 PPG (4th IIAC), 7.4 RPG (3rd IIAC), 3.9 APG (6th IIAC), 0.8 BPG (8th IIAC), 0.8 SPG (18th IIAC), 49.5%FG (9th IIAC), 78.8% FT (13th IIAC).

The case for: Amsbaugh is a senior (which always carries weight in this kind of vote), and he's one of the most well-rounded players in the IIAC statistically for an IIAC tournament team.

The case against: Simpson is the fourth best team in the IIAC, and Amsbaugh may not even be the best candidate for MVP on his own team.

Cooper Cook (Nebraska Wesleyan JR): 14.8 PPG (14th IIAC), 5.1 RPG (10th IIAC), 1.8 APG (28th IIAC), 1.6 BPG (3rd IIAC), 1.3 SPG (8th IIAC), 49.4% FG (10th IIAC), 36.8% 3PT (unranked), 83.3% FT (does not meet min qualifier)

The case for: Cook is the league's incumbent MVP on the 2017-2018 champ.

The case against: As good as Cook's numbers are, if you compare them to some of the other candidates on this list, it's abundantly clear that he did not have anywhere close to the best season of the group.

Ryan DiCanio (Loras JR): 16.6 PPG (8th IIAC), 6.6 RPG (5th IIAC), 4.8 APG (2nd IIAC), 0.3 BPG (23rd IIAC), 1.0 SPG (11th IIAC), 1.7 A/TO (8th IIAC), 42.5% FG (15th IIAC), 33.6% 3PT (unranked), 82.0% FT (8th IIAC)

The case for: DiCanio is a returning first team all-IIAC player who scored his 1,000th point and grabbed his 500th rebound this season, continuing one of the best IIAC careers in the last few years for a Loras team that missed winning conference by a game

The case against: DiCanio is not a very efficient scorer, and as well-rounded as his game is, opposing coaches would be the first to tell you that he is not the player they scheme against on Loras' roster

TJ Lake (Dubuque SR): 22.8 PPG (2nd IIAC), 3.1 RPG (44th IIAC), 1.9 APG (21st IIAC), 0.9 SPG (15th IIAC), 40.9 % FG (16th IIAC), 36.2% 3PT (5th IIAC), 3.2 3PG (2nd IIAC), 84.8% FT (5th IIAC)

The case for: Lake is arguably the league's best senior.

The case against: Though they won a few big games and always had to be taken seriously by opponents, UD was not good this season and didn't even earn a conference tournament berth.

Connor Riordan (Simpson SO): 21.4 PPG (3rd IIAC), 4.7 RPG (17th IIAC), 3.4 APG (9th IIAC), 3.4 A/TO (2nd IIAC), 0.2 BPG (39th IIAC), 1.1 SPG (9th IIAC), 54.4% FG (3rd IIAC), 34.7% 3PT (unranked), 87.5% FT (3rd IIAC)

The case for: Looking at the stats, Riordan is one of the most well-rounded players in the IIAC and he is certainly deserving of being in this conversation.

The case against: Simpson is only the 4th seed in the IIAC tournament, and it's hard to believe that a sophomore who is comparable to other players on this list but on the 4 seed will win MVP.

Josh Ruggles (Loras JR): 23.3 PPG (1st IIAC), 4.8 RPG (15th IIAC), 3.6 APG (8th IIAC), 3.6 A/TO (1st IIAC), 49.8 % FG (8th IIAC), 49.1% 3PT (1st IIAC), 3.6 3PG (1st IIAC), 92.9% FT (1st IIAC)

The case for: Ruggles is the conference's top scorer and has put up his scoring numbers with the greatest shooting efficiency of any player in the conference. In fact, based on NCAA qualifying standards, Ruggles is actually the nation's most efficient shooter (based on sum of FG%, 3PT%, FT%), and he's pretty clearly the IIAC's best shot at an All-American candidate this season.

The case against: Loras didn't win the IIAC, they missed it by a game. If they had beaten NWU in a game in which Ruggles scored 42, this wouldn't even be a debate.

Nate Schimonitz (Nebraska Wesleyan SO): 16.1 PPG (11th IIAC), 3.9 RPG (25th IIAC), 4.8 APG (1st IIAC), 2.5 A/TO (4th IIAC), 0.2 BPG (34th IIAC), 1.4 SPG (5th IIAC), 50.3% FG (7th IIAC), 34.4% 3PT (unranked), 77.1% FT (15th IIAC)

The case for: Numbers-wise, he's the best candidate from the IIAC champion team.

The case against: Aside from the fact that Schimonitz's numbers are not the best in the league (though they are strong), Schimonitz missed 1/8th of IIAC games with an injury.

Continuing my argument from earlier this week, it's pretty clear that Ruggles is the strongest candidate for IIAC MVP, and if you factor in the comeback he's made from last year's heart issues at all, it's a no-brainer. If he is not given the award, my guess is that it will go to Schimonitz, though if the coaches go with Cook despite the fact that he's averaging 9PPG less than Ruggles on significantly lower efficiency, I think that would be a shame. Additionally, given that All-American voting factors in conference MVPs (at least NABC), putting up someone not named Josh Ruggles will virtually guarantee that the IIAC will not have an All-American this season.

If I had any say in post-season awards, my vote would look like this:

Coach of the Year: Dale Wellman, NWU
Most Valuable Player: Josh Ruggles, Loras
Defensive Player of the Year: Deion Wells-Ross, NWU

First Team All-Conference (excludes MVP):
Sam Amsbaugh, Simpson
Cooper Cook, NWU
Ryan DiCanio, Loras
TJ Lake, Dubuque
Conor Riordan, Simpson
Nate Schimonitz, NWU
Kyle Smith, Central
Thomas Wisecup, BV

Would love to hear what you guys are thinking. Looking forward to an exciting week of conference tournament play!

There's not a doubt in my mind Ruggles *should* be MVP/MOP. Now whether or not the coaches recognize a junior on the second place team as such is yet to be seen, but the 1st place accolade in multiple statistical categories speaks for itself. If not All-American he's a lock for MVP/MOP

rlgyank

The regular season has come to a close, and the IIAC tournament has shaped up as such:

For the sake of sparking debate and continuing the conference MVP conversation that briefly occurred over the past few days, I wanted to review each of the candidates (as I see them) a little deeper (listed in alphabetical order, stats conference-only):

Sam Amsbaugh (Simpson SR): 18.7 PPG (4th IIAC), 7.4 RPG (3rd IIAC), 3.9 APG (6th IIAC), 0.8 BPG (8th IIAC), 0.8 SPG (18th IIAC), 49.5%FG (9th IIAC), 78.8% FT (13th IIAC).

The case for: Amsbaugh is a senior (which always carries weight in this kind of vote), and he's one of the most well-rounded players in the IIAC statistically for an IIAC tournament team.

The case against: Simpson is the fourth best team in the IIAC, and Amsbaugh may not even be the best candidate for MVP on his own team.

Cooper Cook (Nebraska Wesleyan JR): 14.8 PPG (14th IIAC), 5.1 RPG (10th IIAC), 1.8 APG (28th IIAC), 1.6 BPG (3rd IIAC), 1.3 SPG (8th IIAC), 49.4% FG (10th IIAC), 36.8% 3PT (unranked), 83.3% FT (does not meet min qualifier)

The case against: As good as Cook's numbers are, if you compare them to some of the other candidates on this list, it's abundantly clear that he did not have anywhere close to the best season of the group.

Ryan DiCanio (Loras JR): 16.6 PPG (8th IIAC), 6.6 RPG (5th IIAC), 4.8 APG (2nd IIAC), 0.3 BPG (23rd IIAC), 1.0 SPG (11th IIAC), 1.7 A/TO (8th IIAC), 42.5% FG (15th IIAC), 33.6% 3PT (unranked), 82.0% FT (8th IIAC)

The case for: DiCanio is a returning first team all-IIAC player who scored his 1,000th point and grabbed his 500th rebound this season, continuing one of the best IIAC careers in the last few years for a Loras team that missed winning conference by a game

The case against: DiCanio is not a very efficient scorer, and as well-rounded as his game is, opposing coaches would be the first to tell you that he is not the player they scheme against on Loras' roster

TJ Lake (Dubuque SR): 22.8 PPG (2nd IIAC), 3.1 RPG (44th IIAC), 1.9 APG (21st IIAC), 0.9 SPG (15th IIAC), 40.9 % FG (16th IIAC), 36.2% 3PT (5th IIAC), 3.2 3PG (2nd IIAC), 84.8% FT (5th IIAC)

The case against: Though they won a few big games and always had to be taken seriously by opponents, UD was not good this season and didn't even earn a conference tournament berth.

Connor Riordan (Simpson SO): 21.4 PPG (3rd IIAC), 4.7 RPG (17th IIAC), 3.4 APG (9th IIAC), 3.4 A/TO (2nd IIAC), 0.2 BPG (39th IIAC), 1.1 SPG (9th IIAC), 54.4% FG (3rd IIAC), 34.7% 3PT (unranked), 87.5% FT (3rd IIAC)

The case for: Looking at the stats, Riordan is one of the most well-rounded players in the IIAC and he is certainly deserving of being in this conversation.

The case against: Simpson is only the 4th seed in the IIAC tournament, and it's hard to believe that a sophomore who is comparable to other players on this list but on the 4 seed will win MVP.

Josh Ruggles (Loras JR): 23.3 PPG (1st IIAC), 4.8 RPG (15th IIAC), 3.6 APG (8th IIAC), 3.6 A/TO (1st IIAC), 49.8 % FG (8th IIAC), 49.1% 3PT (1st IIAC), 3.6 3PG (1st IIAC), 92.9% FT (1st IIAC)

The case for: Ruggles is the conference's top scorer and has put up his scoring numbers with the greatest shooting efficiency of any player in the conference. In fact, based on NCAA qualifying standards, Ruggles is actually the nation's most efficient shooter (based on sum of FG%, 3PT%, FT%), and he's pretty clearly the IIAC's best shot at an All-American candidate this season.

The case against: Loras didn't win the IIAC, they missed it by a game. If they had beaten NWU in a game in which Ruggles scored 42, this wouldn't even be a debate.

Nate Schimonitz (Nebraska Wesleyan SO): 16.1 PPG (11th IIAC), 3.9 RPG (25th IIAC), 4.8 APG (1st IIAC), 2.5 A/TO (4th IIAC), 0.2 BPG (34th IIAC), 1.4 SPG (5th IIAC), 50.3% FG (7th IIAC), 34.4% 3PT (unranked), 77.1% FT (15th IIAC)

The case for: Numbers-wise, he's the best candidate from the IIAC champion team.

The case against: Aside from the fact that Schimonitz's numbers are not the best in the league (though they are strong), Schimonitz missed 1/8th of IIAC games with an injury.

Continuing my argument from earlier this week, it's pretty clear that Ruggles is the strongest candidate for IIAC MVP, and if you factor in the comeback he's made from last year's heart issues at all, it's a no-brainer. If he is not given the award, my guess is that it will go to Schimonitz, though if the coaches go with Cook despite the fact that he's averaging 9PPG less than Ruggles on significantly lower efficiency, I think that would be a shame. Additionally, given that All-American voting factors in conference MVPs (at least NABC), putting up someone not named Josh Ruggles will virtually guarantee that the IIAC will not have an All-American this season.

Sam Amsbaugh, Simpson
Cooper Cook, NWU
Ryan DiCanio, Loras
TJ Lake, Dubuque
Conor Riordan, Simpson
Nate Schimonitz, NWU
Kyle Smith, Central
Thomas Wisecup, BV

Would love to hear what you guys are thinking. Looking forward to an exciting week of conference tournament play!

I'm not sure why you are just including conference stats, as I am sure they will vote on the contributions for the whole season. That being said, while you say that Schimonitz from NWU has the best numbers from the 9 categories that you list, and they are good numbers, there are 2 NWU players that probably have better conference only numbers. One of them has better numbers than Schimonitz in 7 of the 9 categories, and the other NWU player has better numbers in 6 of the 9 categories you listed.

I would also have in consideration for all conference Sabus from Wartburg, Atwater from Dubuque, Wildermuth from Central, and D. Jeffries from Buena Vista.

Hoosiersfan2323

Quote from: rlgyank on February 18, 2018, 02:33:11 PM

Sam Amsbaugh, Simpson
Cooper Cook, NWU
Ryan DiCanio, Loras
TJ Lake, Dubuque
Conor Riordan, Simpson
Nate Schimonitz, NWU
Kyle Smith, Central
Thomas Wisecup, BV

I'm not sure why you are just including conference stats, as I am sure they will vote on the contributions for the whole season. That being said, while you say that Schimonitz from NWU has the best numbers from the 9 categories that you list, and they are good numbers, there are 2 NWU players that probably have better conference only numbers. One of them has better numbers than Schimonitz in 7 of the 9 categories, and the other NWU player has better numbers in 6 of the 9 categories you listed.

I would also have in consideration for all conference Sabus from Wartburg, Atwater from Dubuque, Wildermuth from Central, and D. Jeffries from Buena Vista.

I am told that conference stats are the only ones taken into account for the all-conference votes. Apologies if this is not true.

Hoosiersfan2323

Quote from: rlgyank on February 18, 2018, 02:33:11 PM

Sam Amsbaugh, Simpson
Cooper Cook, NWU
Ryan DiCanio, Loras
TJ Lake, Dubuque
Conor Riordan, Simpson
Nate Schimonitz, NWU
Kyle Smith, Central
Thomas Wisecup, BV

And, you speak to my point - NWU has tons of solid players, but none who stack up to the MVP resume of Ruggles this year statistically speaking.

rlgyank

I have no idea what they take into consideration for all conference, you very well may be correct on that.

Smitty Oom

I think that your list is a very good one! Nate S has been playing very well as of late, getting into the swing of things after his injury. Once he got rolling NWU has taken their game to another level. I think that all three NWU players will be recognized in some capacity as well. Ruggles will be the MVP, and he will also be first team all region. Other teams in the region will see his eye popping stats and that he was on a very good team and he will get recognized as such.

Hoosiers, really enjoyed the list. Think you nailed it.

A lot of solid players returning to the IIAC next year....

dunkin3117

Definitely nailed it Hoosier.  Would agree that Ruggles should be the heavy favorite to win the MVP award.  NWU has a trio of players they could put up, but other than that, there is no other player who should even be in the running.

doolittledog

So about MVP. I haven't heard much about this Ruggles guy... Is he any good?  ;)
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Hoosiersfan2323

Quote from: dunkin3117 on February 19, 2018, 09:06:02 AM
Definitely nailed it Hoosier.  Would agree that Ruggles should be the heavy favorite to win the MVP award.  NWU has a trio of players they could put up, but other than that, there is no other player who should even be in the running.

Really appreciate the feedback, guys. As a fan of the IIAC I'm pulling for Ruggles simply because I believe it's about time the IIAC get some more attention on the national stage and I think the league can, to an extent, ride Ruggles to more respect. That's not to paint Ruggles as some kind of god or hero for the league - he's just the closest thing in the league to an All-American player right now, and should the coaches choose to put him up as MVP, I think that reflects well on the entire IIAC from a national D3 hoops perspective.

Massey goes so far as to rank the IIAC the 3rd best conference in D3 basketball, yet it still remains unlikely that we will get two teams into the NCAA tournament. The tides are changing and the IIAC is starting to get the attention I believe it deserves, but we aren't there yet. And, while there's tons of talent in the league, having a guy like Ruggles (who is arguably the most efficient offensive player in D3 basketball) is a feather in the cap of the IIAC. We should wear it proudly.

dunkin3117

For what it's worth, Cooper Cook was a pre-season 3rd team All-American.  While his numbers aren't quite what they were a year ago, he is still one of the most talented players in the league and could very well repeat as the MVP.  I think it's safe(r) to say that the IIAC is on its way to receiving more recognition on the national scale.  If the league is lucky enough to get 2 teams into the national tournament, I could see potential for both making it to at least the 2nd weekend.  NWU, Loras and Simpson will be returning virtually their entire rosters next year.  If we thought the league was deep and tough this year, I don't think it will have any comparison to what we will see next season. 

I, for one, am excited to see how the tournament shakes itself out.  I don't see any clear cut favorite. 

Central travels to BV.  BV won both regular season matchups but struggled with their season finale at Luther.  Winner will travel to Loras, who is 2-0 vs. both teams.  They always say, winning the 3rd is the toughest....guess we will find out how true that is.

Wartburg travels to Simpson.  The teams split W's during the regular season, both winning on their home court.  The winner will travel out to NWU for a chance to knock off the regular season champs.  Both Wartburg and Simpson have been playing well as of late...could we see another early exit for the Wolves?

Best time of the year!

dunkin3117

Tonights predictions

Central by 6 over BV
Simpson by 2 over Wartburg

Alfredeneumann

Quote from: dunkin3117 on February 20, 2018, 09:05:06 AM
Tonights predictions

Central by 6 over BV
Simpson by 2 over Wartburg

I think BV will win tonight, swept Central with 12 + 13 pt wins and not sure if Central will be over blown 20 pt. lead vs Wartburg on Sat.
Simpson  / Wart, if Wart plays like it did last 10:00 vs Cent, they win, if the play like first 30 Simpson by 10

Congrats to LC for matching the Cleveland Browns- 0-16
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

dunkin3117

Central may also use that blown lead as motivation, along with having lost by double digits to BV.   BV struggled with Luther and lost at home to UD.  Will definitely depend on which Beaver team shows up.  BV, on paper, should win this one handly.  However, it's tourney time, and like we saw last year....anything can happen.

Hoosiersfan2323

Quote from: dunkin3117 on February 20, 2018, 10:33:51 AM
Central may also use that blown lead as motivation, along with having lost by double digits to BV.   BV struggled with Luther and lost at home to UD.  Will definitely depend on which Beaver team shows up.  BV, on paper, should win this one handly.  However, it's tourney time, and like we saw last year....anything can happen.

Central and Wartburg - both lower seeds - win on the road and advance tonight.

dunkin3117

2 years in a row that the 5 and 6 seeds have advanced to the second semifinals...and the haters say that the IIAC isn't a deep league. 

Central looked to be in control of BV all game long.  Audio was not working for me, any word on why Winkleman was out?  Thought his absence played a major factor.