FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hamiltonian

Kudos to Colby team for a great game yesterday.  I knew when I saw people saying that Hamilton would blow them out that the Continentals would be in trouble.  O'Brien had a great game picking apart Hamilton's secondary.  The Colby O-line did a great job keeping him safe from what can often be a tough pass rush (when Hudson and Tolton are blitzing especially.) The D did a great job bringing the Hamilton ground game closer to something like normal.  From what the box score says, Colby out-gained Hamilton on the ground, in the air, had more TOP, and won the turnover battle three-to-one.  I'm sure the coaches are wondering how they lost that game.  A break on that last hail mary and they wouldn't have.  I know they can't feel good about that loss, but they should feel good about putting together the most solid performance of the season.  And on the road, too.  So my hat's off to the Colby team and coaches.

Hamilton is in no position to be "looking past" anyone, but I can't help feeling they were looking ahead to next week's game against Williams, which now looms as the biggest game of their season.  I'm going to enjoy the predictable "Hamilton is overrated" comments that will follow this game.  This is a young team with lots of character but little experience trying to play at the next level.  So they have been swinging up and down all season.  They could easily have beaten Tufts at Tufts on opening day (you know, if the Tufts QB doesn't recover his own fumble and take it in on 4th and 1.) They were no factor against the next three top tier teams, though jumped out to a 13-0 lead against Trinity before getting thumped.  The best appraisal of next week's game against Williams is, who knows?  With Gray at QB and at least three good receivers, they can score at any time from any place on the field.  I fear what that frosh QB will do to the Hamilton secondary, but a miscue here and there could make a difference.  If the Continentals play at the top of their game, this will be a great contest.  You heard it here first.  (and probably here only.)

also, very happy to see this blog back to football!

ColbyFootball

Quote from: Hamiltonian on October 22, 2017, 10:01:25 AM
Kudos to Colby team for a great game yesterday.  I knew when I saw people saying that Hamilton would blow them out that the Continentals would be in trouble.  O'Brien had a great game picking apart Hamilton's secondary.  The Colby O-line did a great job keeping him safe from what can often be a tough pass rush (when Hudson and Tolton are blitzing especially.) The D did a great job bringing the Hamilton ground game closer to something like normal.  From what the box score says, Colby out-gained Hamilton on the ground, in the air, had more TOP, and won the turnover battle three-to-one.  I'm sure the coaches are wondering how they lost that game.  A break on that last hail mary and they wouldn't have.  I know they can't feel good about that loss, but they should feel good about putting together the most solid performance of the season.  And on the road, too.  So my hat's off to the Colby team and coaches.

Hamilton is in no position to be "looking past" anyone, but I can't help feeling they were looking ahead to next week's game against Williams, which now looms as the biggest game of their season.  I'm going to enjoy the predictable "Hamilton is overrated" comments that will follow this game.  This is a young team with lots of character but little experience trying to play at the next level.  So they have been swinging up and down all season.  They could easily have beaten Tufts at Tufts on opening day (you know, if the Tufts QB doesn't recover his own fumble and take it in on 4th and 1.) They were no factor against the next three top tier teams, though jumped out to a 13-0 lead against Trinity before getting thumped.  The best appraisal of next week's game against Williams is, who knows?  With Gray at QB and at least three good receivers, they can score at any time from any place on the field.  I fear what that frosh QB will do to the Hamilton secondary, but a miscue here and there could make a difference.  If the Continentals play at the top of their game, this will be a great contest.  You heard it here first.  (and probably here only.)

also, very happy to see this blog back to football!
Fun game to be at and watch yesterday. O'Brien did a good job, as did the coaches. They finally heard me screaming to start throwing back shoulder fades to the 6'4" Mark Snyder (result - 2 TDs).

I was once again impressed with the never say die attitude of Hamilton, which comes directly from HC Murray. The man gets it and will win. He's a class act.

Next up for Colby is Bates. The BIG rivalry. I think Colby is the slightly better overall team, but I know Bates will be very ready. I make Colby 2 1/2 point favorite because of home field and Homecoming. Should be a great game to watch, just like last year's 2 point Bates win.

Hamiltonian

Good turnout by Colby fans, too.  Steuben Field was LOUD.

polbear73

Quote from: frank uible on October 21, 2017, 09:35:44 PM
The Bowdoin President should refuse Bowdoin's future participation in football games with Trinity.
I think the Bowdoin President should wake up and recognize that his College has a football program and provide it with the necessary support and resources to enable it to be competitive within a league of its peers. This is embarrassing and unacceptable.

Conts Fan

Quote from: IslandTime on October 21, 2017, 04:12:38 PM
Quote from: Hamiltonian on October 21, 2017, 11:03:43 AM
I'll be there in two weeks, Amdad, for the first time.  Doubt if I'll get an audience with the coach but will absorb the vibe.

Go tour Middlebury's indoor facility. It's sports complex puts (and this is no exaggeration) 50% of Div 1 School's facilities to shame. It is AMAZING that is for a student body of under 2500 students. You have to see it it to believe it.
It's amazing what you can build with $65000 tuition and wealthy donors. It's great for the student athletes, but the facilities in college are getting a little ridiculous.

PolarCat

Quote from: polbear73 on October 22, 2017, 03:19:17 PM
I think the Bowdoin President should wake up and recognize that his College has a football program and provide it with the necessary support and resources to enable it to be competitive within a league of its peers. This is embarrassing and unacceptable.
I wish someone would do a definitive analysis of Williams vs. Bowdoin.  Both academically rigorous schools, equally "in the sticks", both with generous donors and established coaches, brought in to turn around struggling programs.  Why has Raymond succeeded at Williams, while Wells has struggled at Bowdoin?  If anything, the Ephs program was in even worse shape than Bowdoin's when Kelton left following the 2015 season.

Williams went 2-6 in 2014, 2-6 in 2015, and 0-8 in 2016 Raymond's first year at the helm).  4-20 over the 3 year transition period.  The Polar Bears went 3-5 in 2013, 2-6 in 2014, and 2-6 again in 2015, Wells' first year.  (7-17 over the corresponding 3 year transition).  Raymond stands 4-2 in his second season, and will likely finish 5-4 or 4-5.  Wells finished his second season at 0-8, and may be winless in his third.

So what's the secret sauce in Willytown?  Is the Eph alumni scouting network that much better?  Is Williams Admissions cooperating more than Bowdoin's?  I know for a fact the Bowdoin coeds are prettier.  Is Raymond just a better coach than Wells?

As much as Bowdoin's struggles upset the Bowdoin fans, they also worry the Bates fans.  The biggest reason / excuse we see for the Bobcats' struggles is the lack of support / financial malfeasance by the Spencer Administration.  I worry that Clayton Spencer can deflect those concerns by pointing at Bowdoin:  "The Clayton Rose administration stepped up and funded adequate coaching salaries, the strength training facilities are first rate, the Polar Bears have snazzy new uniforms and Whittier Field has been renovated, and it hasn't produced any results.  Why should we think the Bobcats program would fare any better if we replaced the coordinators and paid them and the assistants a living wage, and otherwise threw money at the program?"

lumbercat

It will take time at Bowdon but they are doing all the right things. The Wells era is only 2 years in process.
They are recruiting very aggressively. I think you will see significant improvement in the Bowdon program soon. Don't believe it will rival Williams rebuilding but they will get better.
I think all the Football pieces are in place though I have no handle on the situation with Bowdon Admissions.

NESCAC.Football.Observer

Quote from: westcoastDad on October 22, 2017, 03:10:48 AM

Oh, here's another tidbit for those Helton lovers out there.  Was told that the kids who are actually making things happen for Williams this year......are actually Helton recruits that were benched last year.  I don't know the program well enough but that comes from a reliable source (a kid on the team).

WCD... You need to get better sources.

The FACT is that the 11 Frosh starters (who started yesterday) are the guys "making things happen"... and everyone else is riding their coattails.

THAT is the real story in Williamstown.........

NESCAC.Football.Observer

Was good to see the Mammoths formerly known as the Lord Jeffs establish our rushing attack .......

If your idea of "establishing" is:

NET YARDS RUSHING          150
Rushing Attempts               38
Average gain per rush          3.9

And if you remove Hasani's 51 yard TD carry..... the above becomes:

NET YARDS RUSHING            99
Rushing Attempts                37
Average gain per rush          2.67

individual rushing stats are:

Att   Yards  Ave  Long  TD
Ollie Eberth   13   56   4.3   26   1
Hasani Figueroa   10   44   4.4   51   1
Jack Hickey   11   37   3.4   24   1
Bo Berluti            1   14   14.0   14   0
Reece Foy            3   -1   -0.3   3   0

And if you took away the 3 long plays:

NET YARDS RUSHING            49
Rushing Attempts                35
Average gain per rush          1.40

The above ain't worrying Tufts, Trinity, or Williams..........

Please remove the exaggeration in your descriptions... the inaccuracies have gotten old.

TheFlock

THIS JUST IN!!!!!!  MIDDLEBURY SCORED A TD WHILE BLOWING OUT BATES.  THE STATISITCS SAY MIDD SCORED ON THEIR 78TH PLAY OF THE GAME!  THEY RAN 81 PLAYS.  WHY NO KNEE!!!!!  BLOOD THRISTY?  DOES THIS MEAN THE MIDD COACHING STAFF IS CLASSLESS?  IN FACT MIDD HAD THE BALL AGAIN AND COULD HAVE TAKEN A KNEE BUT ELECTED TO RUN PLAYS.  WHY NO COMMENTS ABOUT THIS LUMBERCAT, POLARCAT, WINTERFELL, WHITE WALKER, AND WHOEVER ELSE IS MAKING A STINK?

JEFFFAN

Quote from: NESCAC.Football.Observer on October 22, 2017, 07:07:40 PM

Was good to see the Mammoths formerly known as the Lord Jeffs establish our rushing attack .......

If your idea of "establishing" is:

NET YARDS RUSHING          150
Rushing Attempts               38
Average gain per rush          3.9

And if you remove Hasani's 51 yard TD carry..... the above becomes:

NET YARDS RUSHING            99
Rushing Attempts                37
Average gain per rush          2.67

individual rushing stats are:

Att   Yards  Ave  Long  TD
Ollie Eberth   13   56   4.3   26   1
Hasani Figueroa   10   44   4.4   51   1
Jack Hickey   11   37   3.4   24   1
Bo Berluti            1   14   14.0   14   0
Reece Foy            3   -1   -0.3   3   0

And if you took away the 3 long plays:

NET YARDS RUSHING            49
Rushing Attempts                35
Average gain per rush          1.40

The above ain't worrying Tufts, Trinity, or Williams..........

Please remove the exaggeration in your descriptions... the inaccuracies have gotten old.

With all due respect, your analysis is fundamentally faulty.   One can simply NOT exclude long runs in looking at running averages!  100 out of 100 coaches will tell you that a long run or two are the result of beating down a defense over the course of a game.   The math is the math, total yardage, total runs, let the math figure itself out.   

If we are going to do what you suggest, we should suggest that Foy had a really good game against Middlebury other than the two interceptions that turned into touchdowns ... right?  He passed the ball very well other than those darn pick sixes that put the lead out of reach.

JEFFFAN

Quote from: PolarCat on October 22, 2017, 05:53:43 PM
Quote from: polbear73 on October 22, 2017, 03:19:17 PM
I wish someone would do a definitive analysis of Williams vs. Bowdoin.  Both academically rigorous schools, equally "in the sticks", both with generous donors and established coaches, brought in to turn around struggling programs.  Why has Raymond succeeded at Williams, while Wells has struggled at Bowdoin?  If anything, the Ephs program was in even worse shape than Bowdoin's when Kelton left following the 2015 season.

Williams went 2-6 in 2014, 2-6 in 2015, and 0-8 in 2016 Raymond's first year at the helm).  4-20 over the 3 year transition period.  The Polar Bears went 3-5 in 2013, 2-6 in 2014, and 2-6 again in 2015, Wells' first year.  (7-17 over the corresponding 3 year transition).  Raymond stands 4-2 in his second season, and will likely finish 5-4 or 4-5.  Wells finished his second season at 0-8, and may be winless in his third.

So what's the secret sauce in Willytown?  Is the Eph alumni scouting network that much better?  Is Williams Admissions cooperating more than Bowdoin's?  I know for a fact the Bowdoin coeds are prettier.  Is Raymond just a better coach than Wells?

As much as Bowdoin's struggles upset the Bowdoin fans, they also worry the Bates fans.  The biggest reason / excuse we see for the Bobcats' struggles is the lack of support / financial malfeasance by the Spencer Administration.  I worry that Clayton Spencer can deflect those concerns by pointing at Bowdoin:  "The Clayton Rose administration stepped up and funded adequate coaching salaries, the strength training facilities are first rate, the Polar Bears have snazzy new uniforms and Whittier Field has been renovated, and it hasn't produced any results.  Why should we think the Bobcats program would fare any better if we replaced the coordinators and paid them and the assistants a living wage, and otherwise threw money at the program?"

It is a great question.  I was looking at the background of the two coaches and they are very similar.  Great success at Endicott, same at St Lawrence.   While seriously hoping that the Polar Bears establish a program sooner rather than later, I think that an awful lot of has to do with culture.   Williams is used to winning in football and so the entire administration - president, admissions office, athletic director - knows what needs to be done and helps the coach accordingly.  Bowdoin, on the other hand, wants to win but doesn't have the institutional experience of doing so.   In football, they are a "start up" and that makes it fundamentally harder.

I also think it is harder to get an athlete at any level to join a program that does not have a winning tradition.  At any level.   LeBron doesn't move around to programs that have lost.  The best high school players still go to Kentucky and Duke.   A kid looking at Williams can look at an outstanding historic record book with a recent blip.   A kid looking at Bowdoin has to really believe that he can help a start-up in football get better.   The latter is a harder decision.

PolarCat

I agree with your sentiment, but not sure I would use "start up" to describe the Bowdoin program.  Bowdoin has played football since 1889 (120 seasons), and the Bowdoin-Colby rivalry is the third oldest in Division 3, dating back to 1892, while the Bowdoin-Bates rivalry is the 10th longest, dating back to 1889.  (And no, I don't have any idea how a rivalry dating to 1892 can be "longer" than one dating to 1889.  But then I didn't have the advantage of Common Core growing up).   http://athletics.bowdoin.edu/sports/fball/about

lumbercat

Flock-

Relax- you're 6-0.

The Middlebury Panthers came to Lewiston and kicked Bates ass the same way Trinity did. Bobcats  not happy about that but at the end of the day that Middlebury team is a class outfit. Ritter could have run it up huge, a lot more-...more than Trinity- but they are a class program and took the high road.

I've done some research and can't find another situation any where in the NCAA where a team leading 45-0 against a team that hadn't beaten them in  35 years threw a pass on the last play of the game
to make it 51-0.....Nobody does that.....anyplace .....except Jeff...he's got one hell of a Football team but he's losing his grip down there in Hartford.