MBB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by WoosterFAN, January 27, 2005, 10:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WooClone15

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 13, 2017, 12:28:18 AM
Usually I make sure to alert people of who is on Hoopsville prior to the show. Unfortunately, Thursday was a challenge production wise and I was a bit distracted. So, I hope you don't mind finding out after the fact considering you can watch the show On Demand or listen to the podcast(s).

As the season turns from the first to the second half, we are starting to see which teams are doing more than just getting off to good starts. Now conference races are starting to take shape and we get an idea of how the rest of the season may play out.

On Thursday's edition of Hoopsville, Dave chatted with several coaches whose teams are either leading their conferences or in the battle for first place. Are these teams going to still be near the top come late February? What do they have to do to maintain their level of success. Dave even hit the road to Washington, DC to chat with several of his guests.

Dave also talked to a coach who now has the second-most wins in Division III history. Wooster's Steve Moore won his 787th (700th at Wooster) Wednesday night. Moore joined Dave in the NABC Coach's Corner to discuss the incredible milestone and all the milestones along the way.

You can watch Hoopsville On Demand or listen to the podcast by downloading it from SoundCloud and iTunes by clicking here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/jan12

And don't forget about the Hoopsville Mailbag segment! Email questions you may have to the show at hoopsville@d3hoops.com and we will answer them on a future show.

Guest appearances (in order):
- Steve Moore, Wooster men's coach - NABC Coach's Corner
- Kevin Kovacs, Gallaudet men's coach
- Matt Donohue, Catholic women's coach
- Chuck Winkelman, Calvin women's coach
- Dale Wellman, Nebraska Wesleyan men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
I listened to both Coach Moore's and Coach Kovacs' interviews. That's for having them on!

Quote from: woolax on January 14, 2017, 12:29:06 PM
Wooster at Wittenberg this evening. While this match up may lack some of its regular luster since neither team is ranked it is a rivalry game so I am sure both teams will be fired up. What are people's thoughts?
I wasn't able to listen to it, and have just looked at the final score, but winning like that gives me a bit for confidence that they can build something in conference play. And it's a good win because regardless of how the teams are doing, those rivalry games are always tough, like you said.

ScotsFan

It's been a while since I chimed in on things in here and it's been awfully quiet of late so I just thought it'd be a nice time to share some of my thoughts regarding Wooster hoops.

I'm of the opinion that this Wooster team wasn't nearly as bad as their 6-6 record they brought home from the West Coast indicated.

The Scots have played arguably one of the toughest schedules in the country if you ask me, as 4 of their 6 losses are to the #2, #10, #11 and #18 ranked teams in this weeks Top 25.  And only one of those 4 losses was lopsided as they lost by only 1 point at #2 Whitman in a game they very easily could have and should have won.  They also lost in OT to #11 Wash U in another game they very easily could have and should have won.  And they lost by only 6 to #10 Denison.

I'm hoping that the Scots have started to figure some things out and their tough schedule will have hardened them for the stretch run of the season and on into the post season if they are fortunate enough to make it that far.  Four wins in a row with a dominating win over OWU and a convincing rivalry win at Witt is hopefully just the start of a strong finish to what looked to be a disappointing season!

My question is, if Wooster runs the table but comes up short in gaining the automatic bid, would they be in the conversation for a C bid considering how tough their schedule has been?

Dr. Acula

If they ran the table that'd put them at 19-6 heading into the NCAC tourney with road wins at Denison and OWU (a season sweep).  I don't know enough about the SOS and selection process, but my common sense tells me if they made it to, say, the NCAC finals and lost to Denison?  I'd think that feels like someone that's an at-large.  Or at least in the discussion anyway.  If they could have pulled out even one of those games against ranked teams earlier I'd feel better though.

Fifth and Putnam

21-7 might be enough to get them in...I don't think they run the table though and get to that point.

bufordscot

I think Wooster needs to win the conference regular season or the tournament to get in.  You can sell me on one, maybe two, "good losses" but not four.

Just my thoughts.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

As I said in the OAC - I think an 8 loss team has a chance with a good SOS, but you have to make sure to win enough post-season games to get to that magic .667 winning percentage.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

sac

Very general thoughts........
7 losses with a good SOS should get you in the tournament.
8 losses with a good SOS is dependent year to year on how many other 8 loss teams there are or if 8 losses even makes it to the final table
9 losses and you're looking at being one of the last Pool C spots and only in years where 9 losses gets to the table and that's only happened twice I think.

There is an extra Pool C slot or two from previous seasons so it should go a touch deeper this year.

At some point Wooster is going to have to beat Denison to get in either by Pool A or Pool C for sure.  And probably avoid losing to anyone else.

The Great Lakes is probably going to have 3 or 4 Pool C candidates with 5, 6 and 7 losses and bad SOS's, while having 3 or 4  7 and 8 loss teams with really good SOS's.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Dr. Acula on January 21, 2017, 01:03:59 PM
If they could have pulled out even one of those games against ranked teams earlier I'd feel better though.

Quote from: bufordscot on January 22, 2017, 10:10:03 AM
I think Wooster needs to win the conference regular season or the tournament to get in.  You can sell me on one, maybe two, "good losses" but not four.

Just my thoughts.

Agreed on both points.  I'd definitely be feeling better about Wooster's Pool C chances had they actually pulled out one of those tough losses to a ranked opponent.  However, if they can find a way to beat DU in Granville, that would certainly help their cause...

WoostAr

Full Disclosure: Haven't been able to watch these games

Since the Washington St. Louis game the stats seem to indicate that Wooster's defending the three point line (and in general) much better.  They have been able to score with just about everyone they've played this year -- if they can continue the defensive pressure when they play some higher level teams, they could have a shot at tipping the scales in those games.

sac

Quote from: gordonmann on January 24, 2017, 10:48:48 PM
Hey, speaking of Denison...

http://www.d3hoops.com/columns/around-the-region/greatlakes/2016-17/denison-locals

Also speaking of Denison, next 3 games for them will go a long way to settling the NCAC race.

1-28   Wittenberg
2-1    at Ohio Wesleyan
2-4    Wooster

NCAC standings
Denison                    11-0   17-1
Ohio Wesleyan       9-2   12-6
Wooster                      9-2   12-6
Wittenberg              6-5   12-6

sac

ScotsFan

Watched the Wooster/DePauw double OT thriller yesterday and I must say that was a gut check effort by the Scots.

I was listening to part of the first half in my car and heard the stat that Luke Lattner from DePauw was leading the league by far in ft attempts and after watching most of the 2nd half and both OT's, he might want to switch his number to 23 with the number of touch fouls he draws.  To put it in perspective, Lattner nearly had more points at the line than he did from the floor as he had 21 points at the line on 26 attempts?!  It seemed like no matter what Wooster did, DePauw ended up giving him the ball on offense and he would inevitably draw a foul and go to the line for ft's.  That was pretty much DePauw's offense the entire 2nd half?! 

Lucky for Wooster, DePauw didn't play much defense either as Wooster pretty much had their way inside as Fanelly, Williams and Dupler made it look easy at times driving to the basket for easy layups.

Wooster finally got Lattner to foul out in the 2nd OT and that pretty much ended DePauw's chances as their go to offensive threat was no longer on the floor and the Tigers had no one to answer for the loss of Lattner.

Nice win for the Scots who remain undefeated in 2017!  And with Witt upsetting DU yesterday, the Scots and the Bishops are now just one game back of the Big Red.  Wooster makes the trek to Lewiston next Saturday where the Scots will get another shot at avenging an earlier loss.  They already avenged one loss with their 103-85 thumping of Hiram.  I will say as I said for the Hiram game, this will be a different Wooster team than the one that lost to the Big Red in Timken back in late November.  Chemistry and confidence are both much improved on this team!!!

bufordscot

Something to be said for surviving when you shoot 14% from beyond the arc however; you did shoot 14% from beyond the arc :(

ScotsFan

Quote from: bufordscot on January 29, 2017, 11:18:59 AM
Something to be said for surviving when you shoot 14% from beyond the arc however; you did shoot 14% from beyond the arc :(

It could also be said that it's nice to see that Wooster can adapt when the 3 ball isn't falling for them as opposed to being a live by the 3, die by the 3 sort of team.  Wooster struggled from beyond the arc, but they also had things going inside scoring 62 points in the paint and they also shot a healthy 56% inside the arc.  I like seeing that they can adapt as opposed to not having an option if the 3 ball isn't falling.