MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CNU85

Quote from: Swish3 on March 22, 2018, 03:40:17 PM
Quote from: CNU85 on March 22, 2018, 11:33:45 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 20, 2018, 03:33:01 PM
Maybe, but doubtful with Rowan (who has been talking about loftier plans for YEARS)... and no for Stockton. I've discussed this with some people and I don't think those schools are where the CAC or those institutions should be looking.

The entire thing is tricky for Va public schools. Unless you are D-1. Not many public D3 schools. Plenty of private. D2 isn't really an option either except for Conference Carolinas which is slightly better than the USA South for CNU as far as footprint. But that's not going to happen. In the sports CNU has, that would mean 160 scholarships. (with room and board that's about $4 million annually). CIAA is not an option either.

There are smarter folks than me working on this issue. They will figure out something workable.

Is this a hot topic right now, knowing the potential issue CNU faces?

What ya mean?

Swish3

Based on your comment, I thought you were implying that CNU has been working on this....

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 22, 2018, 03:48:03 PM
It is an important topic to be sure. I've talked to people in and out of the CAC... it is on the forefront of everyone's minds and well before FSU's latest "news."

Dave, based on some things that I've heard over the past 12-18 months, Stevenson might not be in the MAC (or in THIS MAC as currently constructed) in a couple of years. I have not heard anything about their leaving for a specific conference.........more about becoming a part of a new or revamped conference. In reading between the tea leaves, do you think there is any CAC possibilities there OR could there be a thinning of the MAC (Commonwealth) herd with a few of the more western (actually central) schools forming a new conference with a few of the more local CAC's? It's going to be interesting for sure!!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on March 27, 2018, 03:39:18 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 22, 2018, 03:48:03 PM
It is an important topic to be sure. I've talked to people in and out of the CAC... it is on the forefront of everyone's minds and well before FSU's latest "news."

Dave, based on some things that I've heard over the past 12-18 months, Stevenson might not be in the MAC (or in THIS MAC as currently constructed) in a couple of years. I have not heard anything about their leaving for a specific conference.........more about becoming a part of a new or revamped conference. In reading between the tea leaves, do you think there is any CAC possibilities there OR could there be a thinning of the MAC (Commonwealth) herd with a few of the more western (actually central) schools forming a new conference with a few of the more local CAC's? It's going to be interesting for sure!!

Whatever you hear about Stevenson, take with a grain of salt. I can't tell you how many rumors there are about Stevenson that end up being more wrong than right. It is constant and I can't tell you the last time there was one that was accurate (maybe them joining the MAC in the first place). I have enough people I talk to at Stevenson and I've stopped bring up things I hear because they start laughing when I start.

Stevenson is pretty solidly set right now. With sports like women's volleyball, men's and women's ice hockey, football, and others, it isn't that easy to form a conference. Stevenson joining anything else would HAVE to have those items solved. Ice hockey may be okay with their currently situation, but the rest are tired up with the MAC (even ice hockey to a lesser degree). For Stevenson to change to a new conference would have to be a massive move involving a lot of things coming together. I just don't see that many dance-partners for them with all that in mind.

(Notice, the new conference and many of the conferences we see come together don't have football as a factor - the only football moves we have seen of late are the kind where conferences pretty much already have the pieces in place, not creating something altogether new.)

I am not sure the CAC and any of the MAC come together. Remember the key "problem" for the CAC - they are loaded with state schools. You don't see any state schools in the MAC. That is a major hurdle whether the notions are real or completely made up (most are). I also don't see any conversations with Stevenson returning to the CAC... not by a long shot.

As for thinning of the MAC... that is a dangerous idea. Remember, they are two difference conferences in a lot of sports and losing members is not something they can easily solve. The NCAA has already given them a lot of leeway under the grandfather clause that allows the MAC to exist in the first place. The rest of the division I feel doesn't really appreciate the MAC's make-up and will have issues if thinning out of one side is solved with members from the other (which has happened on more than a few occasions).

That said, the MAC has always been a revolving door. No surprise at all to that fact. We have heard the following in the least year:
- Arcadia would be leaving for the new conference... that was then followed by them being delayed a year... I was then informed recently that they wanted to come into the new league immediately (next year), but that was quickly followed up by word that Arcadia was pulling out of the new conference altogether. Once I settled into that news, I was then informed by someone else that the Arcadia scenario hadn't been decided what-so-ever... they may still be in play. SMH
- I then heard that the new conference could be talking to Hood and Eastern - rumors primarily. They very easily could be talking to either or both, but I am not sure at all what they could be doing in the new conference. There are insane plans to try and make that conference a ten-member one. First, they need to get to eight so most if not all of their sports are secure. Ten is a much longer plan they can't be focused on right now. Hood and Eastern could be helpful, but I am not sure if either would be interested.
- The MAC has been the source of other new conferences and alignments - see the Landmark. Of course, with membership numbers so high in the overall make-up of the conference, it is easy to find some numbers in the MAC and create something.
- I am not sure if the CAC is looking to the MAC to help solve the problems. Again, CAC is made up of mainly state schools and notice the last three times schools left the CAC, it was privates who didn't want to deal with the state's, basically (I'm making that far easier an explanation for those cases just for ease here). I just don't see why any MACs would want to join the CAC, honestly. I don't see the benefit.

So... there is a lot of thoughts. I have a lot more as well, but it would mean getting further and further into the weeds.

The CAC needs to look at partners that make sense and not necessarily an easy fix. It has to be a complex fix. I suspect they will look to solve things even if FSU decides to stay. They just can't afford to not make a move right now.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swish3

So who would be an example of those partners?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Unfortunately, I have information I simply cannot share. It was gathered under the promise it was off the record and for background. Trust me when I say, I am giving as much information as I can. Once I get something more concrete, it will absolutely be said. This is not my first go-around which is both exciting and annoying. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Swish3

In your opinion, would these potential partners be a good fit?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Hmm... yes. Could change the landscape a bit, but would be a good fit considering.

I think those in the CAC have to be willing to forgo the norms and realize the solution is going to be tough, but doable.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

MW_Eagles

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 02, 2018, 12:17:33 PM
Filing this under, "interesting" - http://www.fredericksburg.com/sports/college/mary_washington/umw-parting-ways-with-athletic-director-tyler/article_578d329e-03e1-5d13-9a22-aa0b86f4022e.html

Indeed.   Will be curious to see what impact this has on Kahn as he was one of Tyler's guys he brought in.    Last season (and the addition of a couple of nice recruits)  Kahn seemed to have the program on the right track.   Hope this doesn't derail all of that. 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I don't see it affecting Kahn at all. He may have been "his guy," but it isn't that has been something throughout Kahn's career. He's been his own man and gotten jobs and the work done more without Tyler than with.

There is no guarantee Tyler gets another job any time soon (I'd be surprised, honestly)... so I don't see him poaching Kahn, either.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on April 03, 2018, 10:07:37 AM
I don't see it affecting Kahn at all. He may have been "his guy," but it isn't that has been something throughout Kahn's career. He's been his own man and gotten jobs and the work done more without Tyler than with.

There is no guarantee Tyler gets another job any time soon (I'd be surprised, honestly)... so I don't see him poaching Kahn, either.

With the roster they have and the smaller conference next year, it's prime for the taking.  No reason to get rid of a great coach.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ralph Turner

Frostburg St to D-2 in 2018-19...  the Capital loses a State school.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere