BB: CCIW: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by RedmenFB44, January 05, 2006, 12:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

I should've seen it coming, BP. I gave him permission, and he got greedy. ;)
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

Well, geez.  You two guys seemed so morose about your teams, I just wanted to give ya a little pep talk! 8-)

BigPoppa

Carthage is supposed to be facing Grinnell today but live stats has them playing Hamline again. Anyone know which is correct?

EDIT: They just updated it... maybe they are watching this site?
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Mr. Ypsi

IWU was swept at Wash U. today, 14-1 (ouch!) and 5-2, dropping them to 7-6 heading into conference play (and surely losing them their remaining three points in the national poll).

Now I need a pep talk! :(

Mr. Ypsi

BP, just checked Carthage's schedule - GEEZ, what did you guys to to piss off the CCIW?!  First five conference games, all on the road, on Tues, Wed, Sat, and Sunday!

The big showdown between you and me comes early this year: the three game set in Bloomington on Sat and Sunday.  May the better team win (and you gotta know who I HOPE that is)! ;D

BigPoppa

It's a brutal start for Carthage on the road but today's game vs Carroll was moved to Kenosha (with Carthage as the visitor).

Gregory Sager

It's CCIW Opening Day. Single games only:

Elmhurst (6-7) @ North Central (2-6), 3 p.m.
Carroll (4-10) @ Carthage (7-6), 3 p.m.
Millikin (11-3) @ Augustana (14-2), 5 p.m.
North Park (7-9) @ Wheaton (10-5), 6 p.m.

Is anybody else surprised that North Central has only played eight games to date? The Cards have six more non-conference games remaining to be played, interspersed amidst a much more condensed CCIW sked than we're used to seeing, thanks to the addition of Carroll. (NCC also has the possibility of scheduling yet another game at a date to be named to make it an even forty.) The Cards are practically going to be playing baseball around the clock; they'll have six occasions between now and the last day of the regular season (May 6) in which they get two days off, and the rest of the time they'll either be going every day or every other day -- and that's not figuring doubleheaders into the equation.

That's a recipe for spreading out your innings among a lot more arms than usual. We'll see if Ed Mathey's got the pitching staff to handle it.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

I got my first live look at North Park on Sunday, as opposed to watching the Vikings via webstream. (Video feeds for D3 baseball are far more hit-or-miss than they are for D3 football or D3 soccer or D3 basketball, so it's not as though you're going to get a good feel for a team by watching them online the way that you can for those other three sports.) I'm not sure what to think yet. The Vikings dispensed with Roosevelt pretty easily, 9-4. The Lakers are not an NAIA powerhouse in this sport, although they aren't inept, either. Brent Kessinger threw six strong innings and looked sharp, giving up only an unearned run and a "Holmgren homer" to the front row in right. The bats were solid, and the fielding was near-impeccable, with only one error committed by NPU.

I don't feel as though I got the full picture, though. Two of the key pitchers upon whom Luke Johnson is relying have been sidelined by injury, and NPU's pitching depth seems to be problematic this season. The middle of the infield is still a work in progress, although it should be better by the end of the season than it was throughout the entirety of the last two years. This Vikings team is faster and runs the bases better than last season's edition, and the Vikings should be able to score some runs in CCIW play. My worry is that they won't be able to keep other teams from scoring more consistently and in bigger bunches than they score themselves, both due to thin front-line pitching and spotty infield play, although I could just be letting the overall 7-9 mark make me a pessimist rather than letting the current four-game winning streak make me an optimist.

blue_jays

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 27, 2017, 08:59:39 PM
BP, just checked Carthage's schedule - GEEZ, what did you guys to to piss off the CCIW?!  First five conference games, all on the road, on Tues, Wed, Sat, and Sunday!

The big showdown between you and me comes early this year: the three game set in Bloomington on Sat and Sunday.  May the better team win (and you gotta know who I HOPE that is)! ;D

You guys do know who makes the CCIW schedule every year, right? Wallace and Martel. And they've been doing this to Carthage for years.

BigPoppa

Quote from: blue_jays on March 29, 2017, 08:26:29 AM

You guys do know who makes the CCIW schedule every year, right? Wallace and Martel. And they've been doing this to Carthage for years.

Doesn't matter... Carthage is tough. They'll find a way. My Soph season we played our first 23 games either at neutral sites or on the road... good teams find a way to win games in those circumstances... great teams find a way to sweep those series.

Pat Coleman

Old school that's the way most conference schedules got done but these days with full-time staff in conference offices, most things aren't actually done that way anymore. I'd be shocked if Chris Martin really lets it happen as you suggest.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 29, 2017, 11:34:15 AM

Old school that's the way most conference schedules got done but these days with full-time staff in conference offices, most things aren't actually done that way anymore. I'd be shocked if Chris Martin really lets it happen as you suggest.

Greg Wallace -- not some sort of Wallace-and-Martel cartel ;) -- used to make the baseball schedule for the CCIW. As Pat indicated, Wallace no longer has that responsibility. The CCIW has contracted with a firm that's run by the wife of former Lake Forest head basketball coach Chris Conger. This outfit specializes in designing athletics schedules that are based upon the predetermined specifications submitted by the client leagues.

blue_jays

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 29, 2017, 11:34:15 AM

Well it happened for years and wasn't exactly a secret, ask your local CCIW coach. Good if it's not happening now, it reeked of competitive advantage...

Mr. Ypsi

In the first of two, IWU 3, Carthage 0.  Sean Coonan went the distance for the complete-game shutout.  For Carthage, Chris DeRue pitched pretty well, but not well enough - in 6 innings he yeielded 5 hits and 3 runs, only one earned.

Mr. Ypsi

MIGHT be a sweep in B'town.  Bottom of the seventh, tie game, Titans loaded the bases with no outs (ending the day for Carthage starter Tim Sulik).  Ian Maxeiner promptly gave Augie Schmidt a few more grey hairs, walking in a run.  But Carthage then escaped with only one more run scored - so 4-2 IWU entering the 8th.