MBB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, February 24, 2005, 09:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Well to be honest... the first time it happened, no one knew S. Vermont would even be in the conversation.

And I guess I had higher expectations than others in Adrian. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they are great... but I guess now-a-days, I just expect there to be more results like this one.

I will say.. holding UWW to 53... that is what stands out to me more than anything.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

fredfalcon

RF over UST 71-57. After a 5 point leading by 5 at half, RF expanded the lead to as much as 19 with about 3 minutes left. UST played hard, especially in the first half, but suffered from 31% shooting, including 6/35 from 3 point range. Boll had 15 to lead the Tommies. Herink, Witt, Heidecker, Buckley, Seifert all in double figures with Witt leading scoring w/15.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

Greek Tragedy

Made a rare trip to Quandt yesterday to see Point hang on over a good Hope team, 91-77. It was only a 4-point game with 3 minutes to play, but Hope finally ran out of gas. Point gave them numerous opportunities to take the lead as they would build a 8-10 point lead only to see the Flying Dutchmen cut it to a one-possession game. A contrast in games from Hope star duo of Beckman and Hawkins. In a 25-point loss the previous night in Platteville, the duo was 4-19 for 12 points and 2 assists. The two shredded the Pointer defense in the tune of 38 points. Hawkins had 8 assists. Point's defense is nowhere where it needs to be. They had a real problem manning up and when he was beat, our help defense was slow to rotate.

Point played well, at times. The 1st half seemed far superior than the 2nd and if it wasn't for Dodge's hot hand, Point would be looking at a loss. The guy broke the school record for 3s with 10 and finished with 42 points. Semling mentioned on the post game radio interview that there was a lot of standing around and one vs one scenarios, but that must have resulted in turnovers or just missed shots because Point finished with 27 assists on 34 made shots. It doesn't sound like Bublitz is coming back, but Point will need more than Dodge's 42-point games if they are going to be any good this year.

http://www.d3hoops.com/seasons/men/2017-18/boxscores/20171209_yigg.xml?view=boxscore
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

Going into this week, the WIAC is an impressive 47-13. The top 4 teams are 28-3 and the top 5 are 34-5.

Oshkosh 7-0
Platteville 7-1
River Falls 7-1
Whitewater 7-1
La Crosse 6-2
Stout 6-3
Stevens Point 3-2
Eau Claire 4-3

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

tomt4525

I listened to the 2nd installment of this season's Pointer Hoops Radio Show last night.  A couple very interesting things to note, atleast to me.

Augustana refused to play another home and home with UWSP, they were only willing to play a neutral site game.  Which is why you see the game being played in Wisconsin Dells.

Also, Ethan Bublitz was on the show.  He got a shot in his foot to try and ease the pain so he could play this season.  He was able to play against St Norbert but afterwards, the pain got worse and he's now shutting it down and redshirting this year.  He was asked if he's planning on using the 5th year which he couldn't give an answer to at this point.  It depends on how schooling goes for the next few semesters.  Ethan also mentioned that he's gotten so close with the class he came to UWSP with that it will be hard for him to not graduate with them, his plan was always to go out on top with this group.

Greek Tragedy

I actually just Google mapped the distances recently and it showed Augie saving about an hour of drive time while Point drives about an hour and 15 minutes to the Dells. When the schedule came out, I did think it was odd that Point and Augie were playing a one-off at a neutral site in the Dells. Maybe Augie wasn't happy with our accommodatings. I realize Trivia isn't until April and Belt's is already closed. Maybe they couldn't book a Point Brewery tour. I don't know. It's possible they just wanted to play in the water and the Wisconsin River is too cold in December.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

sac

That's Augustana's second neutral site non-conference game this year.  Perhaps they're trying to avoid the impact of the multipliers on strength of schedule by not having to do the home part of the home and home.

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

John Gleich

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on December 12, 2017, 11:51:39 AM
I actually just Google mapped the distances recently and it showed Augie saving about an hour of drive time while Point drives about an hour and 15 minutes to the Dells. When the schedule came out, I did think it was odd that Point and Augie were playing a one-off at a neutral site in the Dells. Maybe Augie wasn't happy with our accommodatings. I realize Trivia isn't until April and Belt's is already closed. Maybe they couldn't book a Point Brewery tour. I don't know. It's possible they just wanted to play in the water and the Wisconsin River is too cold in December.

This may not be right... but didn't the fire alarm go off one year when Augie was playing at UWSP? And maybe the lights went out another time?
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Gregory Sager

Quote from: John Gleich on December 13, 2017, 02:47:09 PM

This may not be right... but didn't the fire alarm go off one year when Augie was playing at UWSP? And maybe the lights went out another time?

Perhaps a flying blazer tripped the fire alarm or hit the circuit breaker.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

John Gleich

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 13, 2017, 02:50:05 PM
Quote from: John Gleich on December 13, 2017, 02:47:09 PM

Perhaps a flying blazer tripped the fire alarm or hit the circuit breaker.

http://athletics.uwsp.edu/news/2007/7/23/0607mbbaugustana.aspx

I don't think my theory holds water. This was from the FIRST time UWSP and Augie met back in 2007.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Greek Tragedy

WIAC sweeps the night with two 20-pt wins, a 25-pt win and a 17-pt win. Yawn.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

fredfalcon

Watched WW and Point games last night: it's apparent Pointers do not need Dodge, averaging 22+ per game prior to last  nite when he got 3 in 21 minutes. Mark Nelson is amazingly quick.

Tyler got 5 minutes p.t. last night and was honorable mention all conference and 8th leading scorer last season. Strange. WW doesn't need him, evidently.
WORLD'S OLDEST FALCON FAN.

MESSAGE TO RECRUITS:  IN DOUBT? ENROLL AT STOUT. DON'T CARE? GO TO EAU CLAIRE. AT A LOSS? TRY LACROSSE. FEELIN' OUTTA JOINT? YOUR PLACE IS POINT. DON'T LIKE THE REST? DO WHAT'S BEST!

GOT BALLS? PLAY FOR THE FALLS!

hindsight2020

Quote from: fredfalcon on December 14, 2017, 12:19:39 PM
Watched WW and Point games last night: it's apparent Pointers do not need Dodge, averaging 22+ per game prior to last  nite when he got 3 in 21 minutes. Mark Nelson is amazingly quick.

Tyler got 5 minutes p.t. last night and was honorable mention all conference and 8th leading scorer last season. Strange. WW doesn't need him, evidently.

I may be missing the sarcasm in this post, but if there was no sarcasm, I could not disagree more with the statement that the Pointers do not need Dodge. Yeah, he scored 3 points last night as the Pointers beat an average Lawerence team, but that doesn't mean he wasn't an effective player in last night's game. While practically being face guarded and not given any good looks, he lead the team in assists and was also second in rebounds. Coming off a 42 point game I am sure he was eager to put up big numbers again, but I thought he managed the game extremely well. He puts a ton of stress on the defense of the opponent. Teams are forced to stay attached to him wherever he goes on the floor because of the variety of ways he beat you. Do the Pointers beat Hope without him? Tough to say for sure, but I doubt it. In order to be successful going forward the Pointers are going to need to make shots because they are so guard oriented. Dodge will be the most likely candidate to stretch defense and create openings for Delmore, Fredrickson, and Nelson to find their shots and get into the lane. Bottomline, he is an integral part of the Pointer offense and the need him out there to beat good teams.

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: fredfalcon on December 14, 2017, 12:19:39 PM

Well, we sure as hell could have used his size against Adrian.  Their big went off for something like 27/12.  Most of his scores were point blank shots.

I normally wouldn't do this but to stop the speculation I'll mention that he is working his way back from an injury and given the nature of it I'm pretty sure it's still bothering him to some degree.   Hopefully he can work through it, gets healthy and you'll see his minutes increase. 

"Just think twice is my only advice."