D3 Men's National Pick Em League

Started by Greek Tragedy, March 29, 2006, 09:34:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: magicman on February 16, 2017, 11:07:21 PM
Greg also switched his pick from Hardin-Simmons to Concordia and now has 81 points.

It was a gamble I had to take, given the position I was in. Concordia (TX) had a reasonable shot at winning, according to Massey, and if I was going to catch NCF I had to make a move before Saturday in order to do it.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

smedindy

I wasn't going to change because I believe in the INTEGRITY of the picks. This pick 'em isn't a game - it's life.  ;D

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: smedindy on February 17, 2017, 01:08:48 PM
I wasn't going to change because I believe in the INTEGRITY of the picks. This pick 'em isn't a game - it's life.  ;D

I tend to agree. When I do pick em leagues in Yahoo or the like, you can't see the other player's picks until the games start and then all the picks are frozen. Simply changing a pick because of another player's pick seems to take away from the integrity just a little.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

FCGrizzliesGrad

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 17, 2017, 01:38:18 PM

I tend to agree. When I do pick em leagues in Yahoo or the like, you can't see the other player's picks until the games start and then all the picks are frozen. Simply changing a pick because of another player's pick seems to take away from the integrity just a little.
Don't forget that most of the time when you change a pick it's to the losing team
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

7express

Quote from: 7express on February 16, 2017, 12:16:11 AM
Quote from: 7express on February 14, 2017, 09:16:56 PM
Wednesday, February 15
Franklin & Marshall at Dickinson
Hanover at Mount St. Joseph
Susquehanna at Scranton
Keene State at Eastern Connecticut
Fitchburg State at Salem State
St. Vincent at Thomas More

Thursday, February 16
Concordia (Texas) at Hardin-Simmons

Friday, February 17
Skidmore at St. Lawrence

Saturday, February 18
Ohio Northern at Marietta
Oswego State at Brockport

Gregory Sager

I have to admit to being absolutely baffled by these responses. Since we've always been able to see each other's picks, I've always had the understanding that altering picks and/or posting them at the last minute one night at a time was a function of pick'em competition. I had no idea that we were supposed to behave as though the picks were all done in secret.

I was honestly not trying to violate the spirit of anything. I've been a part of the pick'ems for several years now, and nobody's ever brought up words like "integrity" when it comes to changing picks or posting them a few minutes before game time. If I've completely misunderstood the philosophy of this competition then I apologize, but I plead honest ignorance.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

NCF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 17, 2017, 03:02:33 PM

I have to admit to being absolutely baffled by these responses. Since we've always been able to see each other's picks, I've always had the understanding that altering picks and/or posting them at the last minute one night at a time was a function of pick'em competition. I had no idea that we were supposed to behave as though the picks were all done in secret.

I was honestly not trying to violate the spirit of anything. I've been a part of the pick'ems for several years now, and nobody's ever brought up words like "integrity" when it comes to changing picks or posting them a few minutes before game time. If I've completely misunderstood the philosophy of this competition then I apologize, but I plead honest ignorance.

I didn't take it as a violation of the spirit of the game at all. I figured that would happen to put some excitement into the final games  of the season. I didn't get home until late last night after working the volleyball tournament was surprised to find that the game was still going and close. Needless to say that I couldn't fall asleep until HSU won. :o :( ;D ;D ;D
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

smedindy

And I was trying to be funny, anyway! Bloviating for bloviating sake!  :D

Mr. Ypsi

Despite what scoreboard said, the St. Larry/Skidmore game started at 7 ET.  At the half, Skidmore leads 37-29.  (Dang!  I was hoping to post: St. Larry leaving skid marks on Skidmore! ;D)

Mr. Ypsi

Both scoreboard and livestats are stuck on Skidmore 87, St. Lawrence 80 w/ 3 seconds left.  I'm gonna assume that is the final and the stats guy just went home! ;D

magicman

87-80 is the final score in the Skidmore-SLU game.

magicman

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 17, 2017, 03:02:33 PM

Greg,

FWIW, I suspect that you'd be the last person on the D3hoops boards, that would violate the spirit of anything.  As smeds said, he was just joshing us.

magicman

And it's now official NCF has won the league. The first lady in the history of the Pick 'Em League to be our champion. Once again, congratulations on a job well done.

As the holder of half of the Pick 'Em Crown I'll pack it up nicely and mail it to you. KnightSlappy shared the crown with me last year and he chose not to play this year. I think he didn't want to give up his half of the crown. Good luck trying to get that other half from him. ;D

Mr. Ypsi

Greek, delighted to see this post since you lead me by two with two to go, and we disagree on both picks!  Glad to see you won't change either pick just to beat me out for 167th place! ;D

But ... integrity?  To me integrity in the contest is magicman deliberately picking the team who's behind if he makes a late pick (probably not always his preferred pick), or the occasional corrective post by a picker who's score was miscalculated too HIGH by the scorekeeper.  Since we have chosen open picks, to NOT change a pick when the alternative is inevitable loss is just throwing in the towel, not lack of integrity.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: magicman on February 17, 2017, 09:52:25 PM
And it's now official NCF has won the league. The first lady in the history of the Pick 'Em League to be our champion. Once again, congratulations on a job well done.

Congratulations, Madame Pick'Em! ;)