MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KnightSlappy

As sac correctly notes, Calvin's win combined with Trine's win gives the Knights the No. 2 seed for the MIAA Tournament.

Calvin got an excellent game from Tony Canonie who finished with a career-high 17 points on 7-8 shooting (3-3 from the arc!). He also dished out 6 assists, came away with three steals, and blocked a shot.

I haven't looked back, but the 63% effective field goal percentage might be Calvin's best shooting night of the season.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quite a different story at De Vos last night.  Worst game I've watched in quite a while - completely dead atmosphere - just blah!!!.  Hope shot 35.6% from the floor, got out rebounded by 14, yet somehow found a way to win.  Even one of the few things they did well (16 steals leading to a total of 26 TO for Kzoo) didn't produce what you might expect - only 15 points scored on 26 TOs.  Kzoo score the same 15 pts off of only 12 Hope TOs. 

Combine the poor shooting (Kzoo shot 42%) with all the steals and TOs, and 51 fouls called and it was a game with no flow and it was  U - G - L - Y, you ain't got no alibi...
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

almcguirejr

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on February 16, 2017, 12:29:51 PM
Quite a different story at De Vos last night.  Worst game I've watched in quite a while - completely dead atmosphere - just blah!!!.  Hope shot 35.6% from the floor, got out rebounded by 14, yet somehow found a way to win.  Even one of the few things they did well (16 steals leading to a total of 26 TO for Kzoo) didn't produce what you might expect - only 15 points scored on 26 TOs.  Kzoo score the same 15 pts off of only 12 Hope TOs. 

Combine the poor shooting (Kzoo shot 42%) with all the steals and TOs, and 51 fouls called and it was a game with no flow and it was  U - G - L - Y, you ain't got no alibi...

Kalamazoo is very physical. They are big and slow. They dare officials to call fouls on them.  They lead the league with an average of 23 fouls per game. They want an ugly game because that plays to their strength.

HopeConvert

An utterly unpleasant experience. If that game was not an insult to public taste, then public taste is incapable of insult.
One Mississippi, Two Mississippi...

realist

Watching the video it just didn't look like a game at De Vos.  Didn't check the attendance, but the number of empty seats seemed much higher than normal.  The game reminded me of the "old days" when Defiance was in the MIAA with that style of play.
"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

sac

KnightSlappy

Quote from: sac on February 16, 2017, 03:28:22 PM
Sounds like the play-in game is a thing.

So then what are our scenarios?

If Albion (vs. Trine) and Alma (vs. Olivet) both lose, they'll play the tiebreaker game for the No. 4 seed.

If Albion and Alma both win, we'll have the three-way triangle with Trine, Alma, and Albion at 8-6 and all going 1-1 against each other. Would Trine simply be eliminated by their 0-2 record vs. Calvin (0-4 vs. teams ranked ahead), or would we get some other tiebreaker to name a No. 3 seed with the other two playing in?

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: realist on February 16, 2017, 03:15:29 PM

Watching the video it just didn't look like a game at De Vos.  Didn't check the attendance, but the number of empty seats seemed much higher than normal.  The game reminded me of the "old days" when Defiance was in the MIAA with that style of play.

I had the same thought.  Attendance was 1789
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

sac

Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 16, 2017, 03:36:51 PM
Quote from: sac on February 16, 2017, 03:28:22 PM
Sounds like the play-in game is a thing.

So then what are our scenarios?

If Albion (vs. Trine) and Alma (vs. Olivet) both lose, they'll play the tiebreaker game for the No. 4 seed.

If Albion and Alma both win, we'll have the three-way triangle with Trine, Alma, and Albion at 8-6 and all going 1-1 against each other. Would Trine simply be eliminated by their 0-2 record vs. Calvin (0-4 vs. teams ranked ahead), or would we get some other tiebreaker to name a No. 3 seed with the other two playing in?

I was told this is correct
Quote from: sac on February 16, 2017, 02:18:51 AM
I think this is right.
Trine win, Alma win   Trine is 3rd seed, Alma 4th seed
Trine win, Alma loss  Trine is 3rd seed, Alma/Albion either have a play-in game or Alma wins tie-breaker by beating Trine
Albion win, Alma win  3-way tie Trine, Albion, Alma, all 3 went 2-2 vs each other.  Albion and Alma both beat Calvin eliminating Trine.  Albion is 3 seed by beating Olivet twice, Alma 4th seed
Albion win, Alma loss  Albion/Trine tie for 3rd, Albion wins tie-break by beating Calvin.  Albion 3rd seed, Trine 4th seed

In that scenario of Trine win Alma loss, Albion would host the play-in game against Alma on Wednesday night

sac

Whittling down all-league, in no particular order, these are mine.  No Kzoo guy has stats better than anyone I've listed.

Trevor Gernaat, Alma
Corey Wheeler, Albion
Jason Zahran, Albion
DeVonte Harris, Adrian
Justin Webster, Adrian
Cam Denny, Calvin
Michael Wilks, Calvin
Harrison Blackledge, Hope
Dante Hawkins, Hope
Chad  Carlson, Hope
Eric Ewing, Olivet
Aaron Washington, Olivet
Will Dixon, Trine
Kyle Dodson, Trine

Think I'd go with Gernaat, Blackledge, Hawkins, Ewing, Dixon, Wilks maybe for first team. 

Blackledge is probably MVP.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Division III season has officially entered "Crunch Time." Regular season schedules are wrapping up, conference tournaments are about to begin, teams are jockeying for conference position or trying to win home-court advantage. And it is all happening the uncertainty of whether NCAA tournament berths are available for a lot of teams.

On Thursday night's Hoopsville, Dave McHugh not only takes another look at this week's Regional Rankings, but also tries to read the tea leaves. He also chats with four teams that all still have something to play for. Whether it is to better position themselves in the eyes of the NCAA committees or just to turn more heads in their conference tournament, these teams are still pushing to continue their seasons.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio starting at 7:00 PM ET LIVE. You can watch the show on the official show page here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/feb16 ... or you can watch the live simulcast on Facebook Live. If you miss the show, you can catch-up on Demand or listen to the podcasts (which will be uploaded at the conclusion of the show).

A reminder the Thursday edition of Hoopsville primarily covers the East, Mid-Atlantic, Great Lakes, and West regions, but we will answer any questions about all of Division III throughout the show. You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

And please consider helping Hoopsville stay on the air like you might help your public television station. The annual fundraising campaign has less than three weeks remaining, but we are no where close to reaching our goal. Click here for more information: Hoopsville Fundraising Page

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Michael Meek, No. 24 George Fox women's coach
- Katherine Bixby, Dickinson women's coach
- Greg Mitchell, No. 16 Hope men's coach
- Rob Kornaker, St. John Fisher men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville
Fundraiser: https://igg.me/at/hoopsville-fundraiser-2017

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

KnightSlappy

Using Massey game probabilities, here are the chances of the MIAA's five remaining teams to make the conference tournament / reach the tournament final / win the tournament title.

Hope:   100% / 89% / 76%
Calvin: 100% / 54% / 10%
Trine:   68% / 32% /  7%
Alma:    81% /  8% /  3%
Albion:  51% / 18% /  3%

sac

Hoopsville interview with Hope's Greg Mitchell, starts at about 1:09:00
http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/index

One small correction for Dave.  Hope and Calvin are locked into their respective seeding spots in the MIAA Tournament.  The game will have no impact on final conference standings.

monsoon

Quote from: sac on February 16, 2017, 10:38:20 PM
Hoopsville interview with Hope's Greg Mitchell, starts at about 1:09:00
http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/index

One small correction for Dave.  Hope and Calvin are locked into their respective seeding spots in the MIAA Tournament.  The game will have no impact on final conference standings.

Thanks for the link, and time marker.

HopeConvert

Anyone have a ticket available for tomorrow's game?
One Mississippi, Two Mississippi...