MBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by sac, February 19, 2005, 11:51:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldknight

For the first time ever I will be attending a Calvin/Hope satellite TV party (in Phoenix). Since my sister-in-law is the local host, I have been pressed into service to help with the party accommodations. This means blowing up party balloons, half of which are Hope College's. Since the event is supposed to be a joint affair, I'll do my best to be even-handed when blowing hot air but no guarantees.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: oldknight on February 18, 2017, 12:07:48 PM
For the first time ever I will be attending a Calvin/Hope satellite TV party (in Phoenix). Since my sister-in-law is the local host, I have been pressed into service to help with the party accommodations. This means blowing up party balloons, half of which are Hope College's. Since the event is supposed to be a joint affair, I'll do my best to be even-handed when blowing hot air but no guarantees.

Careful, oldknight - wouldn't want another 'deflategate' scandal! ;D

GreatScot!?

Quote from: sac on February 16, 2017, 05:15:26 PM
Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 16, 2017, 03:36:51 PM
Quote from: sac on February 16, 2017, 03:28:22 PM
Sounds like the play-in game is a thing.

So then what are our scenarios?

If Albion (vs. Trine) and Alma (vs. Olivet) both lose, they'll play the tiebreaker game for the No. 4 seed.

If Albion and Alma both win, we'll have the three-way triangle with Trine, Alma, and Albion at 8-6 and all going 1-1 against each other. Would Trine simply be eliminated by their 0-2 record vs. Calvin (0-4 vs. teams ranked ahead), or would we get some other tiebreaker to name a No. 3 seed with the other two playing in?

I was told this is correct
Quote from: sac on February 16, 2017, 02:18:51 AM
I think this is right.
Trine win, Alma win   Trine is 3rd seed, Alma 4th seed
Trine win, Alma loss  Trine is 3rd seed, Alma/Albion either have a play-in game or Alma wins tie-breaker by beating Trine
Albion win, Alma win  3-way tie Trine, Albion, Alma, all 3 went 2-2 vs each other.  Albion and Alma both beat Calvin eliminating Trine.  Albion is 3 seed by beating Olivet twice, Alma 4th seed
Albion win, Alma loss  Albion/Trine tie for 3rd, Albion wins tie-break by beating Calvin.  Albion 3rd seed, Trine 4th seed

In that scenario of Trine win Alma loss, Albion would host the play-in game against Alma on Wednesday night
What causes the play in game to be at Albion?

calvin_grad

arena

That was a surprisingly satisfying win for Calvin today.

oldknight

Quote from: arena on February 18, 2017, 05:36:59 PM
That was a surprisingly satisfying win for Calvin today.
Neither team played particularly well but it was an interesting and oddly entertaining game. I thought Hawkins appeared very out of sorts, mostly due I think to excellent D by Canonie. Everyone should be pleased to know there was no deflagate scandal at the Rivalry party I attended and I properly inflated all the orange and blue balloons.  There was a moment of panic when  with 1 minute left in OT, the restaurant feed changed to a different channel. We missed the block by Welch (the play of the game) but we got the video back after Calvin regained possession.

TUAngola

Two dominating performances by Trine hoops today.  The men secure the 3rd seed in next week's MIAA tournament with a victory at Albion.  The women win their first ever regular season MIAA crown with a triumph at Hope.  It's the first time a team not named Hope or Calvin has won the women's title since 1996.  The women's tournament will be played in Angola next Friday and Saturday.  Congrats Thunder!!

KnightSlappy

There was a lot of hubbub from the home fans in overtime when Nick Kronemeyer dove for a loose ball and dished it to Cam Denney for a fast break dunk with about 2:51 remaining (this gave Calvin a lead they wouldn't relinquish). The DeVos crowd wanted a travel on Kronemeyer for sliding along the court with the basketball, however the officials correctly ruled it to be a legal play.

From the NCAA officiating case book:

QuoteA.R. 199. Is it traveling when a player:
3. Gains control of the ball while sliding on the playing court and then,
because of momentum, rolls or slides, after which the player passes or
starts a dribble before getting to his feet?
RULING
3: No. The player may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a timeout. Once the player has the ball and is no longer sliding, he may not roll over.

KnightSlappy

A few more thoughts from Calvin's 65-62 overtime win at Hope.

--40% shooting field goals, 26% shooting three pointers, 40% shooting free throws, and 22 turnovers aren't stats you expect from the winning team. The Knights did redeem themselves on the boards, out-rebounding Hope 51-33 (including 20 on the offensive end).

--Major props to coach Vande Streek for not sitting Tony Canonie for long stretches after he got himself in rare foul trouble. Canonie logged 37 minutes which trailed only Denney's 38.

--Both teams recorded one single made field goal in overtime.

--At one point in overtime I thought that the eventual loser would be kicking themselves for failing to convert at the free throw line. Calvin missed 9 free throws in the second half and overtime, and Hope missed all three of their overtime foul attempts.

sac

Hope has the yips from in close the last few games.  Wasn't disappointed in the effort only its execution.  Hope played really tough d the last 1/4 of the game and OT, had many stops they just didn't get rewarded for.

Season finish now looks a lot more like 2014 than 2012 or better.  Up to the Dutchmen to figure out how badly they want it.

Trine vs Calvin in semi #1
Alma vs Hope in semi #2

Right now, Trine's walking away with it from what I've watched the last two weeks.  A couple teams can change that.

pointlem

Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 18, 2017, 08:42:56 PM
A few more thoughts from Calvin's 65-62 overtime win at Hope.

--40% shooting field goals, 26% shooting three pointers, 40% shooting free throws, and 22 turnovers aren't stats you expect from the winning team. The Knights did redeem themselves on the boards, out-rebounding Hope 51-33 (including 20 on the offensive end).

Some random reflections on Hope v Calvin II:

• In the spirit of KnightSlappy's reflection, it's equally surprising that a team could get massively outrebounded, shoot 5 of 26 3-point shots, have a starter in street clothes, have it's normal bench players outscored 44 to 9 . . . and still be tied with a chance to win at the game's end. All that leaves this Hope fan hope-full for a hoped-for rematch next Saturday.
  • I can't remember previously watching a game with the two halves resulting in identical scores (30-30 followed by 30-30)
  • In the aftermath of some MIAA coaching tantrums and technicals, both coaches seemed admirably focused on positive coaching, with only occasional--and appropriate--questioning of referee calls.
  • Three Calvin starters logged 15 minutes or less in 45 minutes of play.
  • The game was a sell-out, but there were empty seats, including bleacher seats, in both the Hope and Calvin sections.

almcguirejr

Quote from: KnightSlappy on February 18, 2017, 08:17:49 PM
There was a lot of hubbub from the home fans in overtime when Nick Kronemeyer dove for a loose ball and dished it to Cam Denney for a fast break dunk with about 2:51 remaining (this gave Calvin a lead they wouldn't relinquish). The DeVos crowd wanted a travel on Kronemeyer for sliding along the court with the basketball, however the officials correctly ruled it to be a legal play.

From the NCAA officiating case book:

QuoteA.R. 199. Is it traveling when a player:
3. Gains control of the ball while sliding on the playing court and then,
because of momentum, rolls or slides, after which the player passes or
starts a dribble before getting to his feet?
RULING
3: No. The player may pass, shoot, start a dribble or call a timeout. Once the player has the ball and is no longer sliding, he may not roll over.

Truth

almcguirejr

Ryan Gamm, Rockford HS, 6'7", forward, will attend Hope next year.

sac

Alma attempted 50 3-point shots against Olivet and made 25 in their 113-90 win.  Olivet attempted 30
http://miaa.org/sports/mbkb/2016-17/boxscores/20170218_tndl.xml