MBB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by njachoopsfan, March 16, 2005, 01:15:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoya73

Good run for the Lions the last couple of weeks.  Three conference road wins.  Rowan is a tough squad.  Like TCNJ's teamwork at the moment--spreading the floor, team rebounding, unselfishness.  Big test Saturday against Jersey City.  Every night a battle.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

First semester finals may have started, or about to start, but that hasn't stopped the action on the hardcourt from being formidable. Even the first winter storm of the season didn't stop the games on the East Coast.

On Sunday night's episode of Hoopsville, Dave tries not to scratch his hair (out) as he and guests try and decipher the action of the past few nights and week. While the women seem to have settled in this week, the men's side continues to produce results that make things more complicated. Are there any great teams in Division III?

It just may be too early, still, to really know.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET right here: http://bit.ly/2kjEiau

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Carissa Sain Knoche, Chicago women's coach
- Brian Morehouse, No. 8 Hope women's coach
- Dan Raymond, Ithaca women's coach
- Jeff Brown, No. 2 Middlebury men's coach
- Matt Goldsmith, TCNJ men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 10, 2017, 05:09:40 PM
First semester finals may have started, or about to start, but that hasn't stopped the action on the hardcourt from being formidable. Even the first winter storm of the season didn't stop the games on the East Coast.

On Sunday night's episode of Hoopsville, Dave tries not to scratch his hair (out) as he and guests try and decipher the action of the past few nights and week. While the women seem to have settled in this week, the men's side continues to produce results that make things more complicated. Are there any great teams in Division III?

It just may be too early, still, to really know.

Hoopsville is presented by D3hoops.com and airs from the WBCA/NABC Studio. You can watch the show LIVE starting at 7:00 p.m. ET right here: http://bit.ly/2kjEiau

You can also send your questions to the show and have them featured on the Hoopsville Mailbag segment. Email them to hoopsville@d3hoops.com.

Guests include (in order of appearance):
- Carissa Sain Knoche, Chicago women's coach
- Brian Morehouse, No. 8 Hope women's coach
- Dan Raymond, Ithaca women's coach
- Jeff Brown, No. 2 Middlebury men's coach
- Matt Goldsmith, TCNJ men's coach

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

Dave - Totally unrelated and might require your best thinking cap. Do you know the college (or university) who played host to an NCAA tournament game or two last year that had the insanely beautiful gym with the permanent seats?  I also think the court was below street level. It might be in the Midwest. I thought it might have been Washington University but I just checked a picture on their website and it's not their on campus facility. Maybe it was a non-college facility but hosted by a local school. I remember commenting about how ridiculously awesome it looked. There is a method to my madness that I can't divulge at this point. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!!

gordonmann

Was it Hope College's facility?

It meets the definition for insanely beautiful.

NJBALLERZ

First real test today for NJCU as they travel to Albertus Magnus who is 5-2 with a win over defending National Champs Babson. Should be a good one - I think NCJU prevails and remains undefeated.

Do not know much about Albertus Magnus, but the way Toney is scoring the ball and NJCU's ability to defend - that is a tough combo to handle.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: gordonmann on December 13, 2017, 05:03:24 PM

Let me check their website for pics. It was a gorgeous facility that I jokingly compared to Eastern, Rosemont, Desales and Manhattanville. For some reason, the St. Louis area is sticking in my head.........permanent stadium type seating, walked down to seats from street level. It was gorgeous!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 17, 2017, 07:20:48 PM

Let me check their website for pics. It was a gorgeous facility that I jokingly compared to Eastern, Rosemont, Desales and Manhattanville. For some reason, the St. Louis area is sticking in my head.........permanent stadium type seating, walked down to seats from street level. It was gorgeous!

Go to the end of this video to see the arena... maybe this is what you were talking about: http://athletics.hope.edu/general/2017-18/videos/20171130-7lsyyvbv
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 18, 2017, 11:29:16 AM

Go to the end of this video to see the arena... maybe this is what you were talking about: http://athletics.hope.edu/general/2017-18/videos/20171130-7lsyyvbv

I had to watch the entire video a few times because the overheard shot of the entire athletic complex was gorgeous!! Who wrote the check or checks for all of that?? I'd say that 99% of all of the D3 AD's and Coaches would call that the "One Can Only HOPE" Athletic Complex (Dave, was that good or what?) :)

As much as it looks like the basketball facility that I am referencing, my feeble brain is thinking red (vs. blue) theater type seats, 360 degrees around the court...............that hosted a Thursday - Sunday last season. But if that is the only facility that approaches anything like this, it probably is Hope.  Thanks Dave!!

gordonmann

Hope and arch rival Calvin are both financially supported by the DeVos family, which owns Amway and the Orlando Magic. They bear the naming rights for that arena (DeVos Center).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 18, 2017, 01:04:31 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 18, 2017, 11:29:16 AM

I had to watch the entire video a few times because the overheard shot of the entire athletic complex was gorgeous!! Who wrote the check or checks for all of that?? I'd say that 99% of all of the D3 AD's and Coaches would call that the "One Can Only HOPE" Athletic Complex (Dave, was that good or what?) :)

As much as it looks like the basketball facility that I am referencing, my feeble brain is thinking red (vs. blue) theater type seats, 360 degrees around the court...............that hosted a Thursday - Sunday last season. But if that is the only facility that approaches anything like this, it probably is Hope.  Thanks Dave!!

Don't remember a Thursday/Sunday last season... we used to have Thursday/Saturday pods, but last year was our first full 64-team tournament... so only Friday/Saturdays.

I will have to go and look at hosts to try and figure out who you are talking about.

As for the production, not to take anything away from Hope, but it isn't that hard now with drones and the like. The drone flying actually bugged me, but I had to take a step back and realize a) I don't fly drones, either and b) we can't expect Hollywood type quality. It is very well done.

NJBALLERZ

First time all year that no NJAC team is ranked in the top 25. Ramapo and NJCU recently knocked out. Ramapo lost a heart breaker at the buzzer against TCNJ while NJCU got handled pretty easily at home against MSU.

Going to be interesting moving forward.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: NJBALLERZ on January 10, 2018, 12:48:58 PM
First time all year that no NJAC team is ranked in the top 25. Ramapo and NJCU recently knocked out. Ramapo lost a heart breaker at the buzzer against TCNJ while NJCU got handled pretty easily at home against MSU.

Ramapo has lost three of their last four... they have to solve things before conference play goes any further.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I feel like the NJAC is in a better position - there are four pretty strong teams that will battle it out.  That might make it difficult for one to come to national prominence, but I think the conference schedule could really shape a strong national tourney team, whichever squad it turns out to be.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

NJBALLERZ

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on January 10, 2018, 01:29:53 PM

Ramapo has lost three of their last four... they have to solve things before conference play goes any further.

Yes, not good for the Roadrunners. However, one of their losses was against a very good Ohio Wes team. Central seems to have played a very tough schedule? And TCNJ at home is a tough place to win. But still, you are right - something needs to give.

NJBALLERZ

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on January 10, 2018, 02:09:04 PM

I feel like the NJAC is in a better position - there are four pretty strong teams that will battle it out.  That might make it difficult for one to come to national prominence, but I think the conference schedule could really shape a strong national tourney team, whichever squad it turns out to be.

Who are you considering in the top 4? Ramapo, NJCU, Montclair, and TCNJ? I still think Rowan is very talented and with their style of play - they can beat anyone on any given night. This Saturday could get interesting as TCNJ travels to Montclair and Ramapo hosts NJCU.