Best Basketball Facility in D3

Started by cougar, February 05, 2008, 04:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank uible

In the winter of 1964 I, being a non-basketball player and a 28 year old graduate student, played in a four man pick-up game in the intra-mural gym of the University of Michigan with a future Packer punter, a future 49ers LB and a future Colts safety, all three then freshmen.  It was the LB and the punter against the safey and the spastic. Both the LB and the safety could stuff. The safety and I were competive as a team because of his abilities. Interesting event to say the least.

cave2bens

Quote from: frank uible on February 16, 2008, 12:20:38 PM
In the winter of 1964 I, being a non-basketball player and a 28 year old graduate student, played in a four man pick-up game in the intra-mural gym of the University of Michigan with a future Packer punter, a future 49ers LB and a future Colts safety, all three then freshmen.  It was the LB and the punter against the safey and the spastic. Both the LB and the safety could stuff. The safety and I were competive as a team because of his abilities. Interesting event to say the least.

Mr NWOAL Everything from Wauseon, OH - Rick Volk per chance?
"Forever more as in days of yore Their deeds be noble and grand"

frank uible

It was Volk, a 2nd round pick in the 1967 NFL draft and a 12 year player in the NFL - mostly with the Colts.

John Gleich

Though I'm partial to our home gym of the Quandt fieldhouse, it's only the best facility if you're a Pointer...

Of the places I've seen (that haven't previously been mentioned) I really like Rose Hulman.  Watched the Pointer women win a National Championship there, and it's a very nice facility!
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

smedindy

Way way back in the day, CCNY used to pack 'em in. Of course, then things happened, as it were...

sac

Here's a couple looks at Rose-Hulman's Sports and Rec Center

Hulbert Arena

NYBB

The Jerome S. Coles Center at NYU is awesome.

Knightstalker

Quote from: NYBB on February 16, 2008, 04:40:22 AM
12,000 students at nyu, yes but only about 2,000 of those students have ever heard of basketball and only about 500 of those students know that NYU has a team.  People go to NYU because they want to be in the city, not because it's a good school and not because it's got an excellent D3 athletic program.  That's a shame because Coles is a great facility and NYU puts together an excellent team every year.

Oh well...at least NYU draws a crowd.  The only other Manhattan D3 school that gets a good size audience is Hunter, and their crowds aren't even that big.  Baruch/John Jay/CCNY = nill crowd.

Coles is also a great place for pickup basketball (if you like dunking on 5'7'' mathematics majors, this is the place to play).

U of R's gym is one of the best in D3 in my opinion, btw.

Half the crowd at Hunter games are actually looking for the Subway.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

David Collinge

The Kenyon Athletic Center:

Tomsich Arena (within the KAC):

Interactive photo tour
Video tour
Specifications

with age comes?

Being a newbie among you giants I hesitate to venture an opinion, but here goes- alot of the SUNYAC schools in NY have really nice facilities (hell they get to use our tax dollars).  Buff State Sports arena seats 3500 and is very nice.  Oneonta's Dewar Complex claims to seat 4000.  Cortland State's Corey gym seats 3500. All that being said the 2 best atmosphere's and total package places I've attended were U of R Palestra during the Chase tournament just a fabulous older facility and my personal favorite NYU's Cole.  Was there when the student body was on break but there was still good crowd with a sensational live jazz pep band and a dance troupe that looked like something you would see on TV.  The entire facility is pretty much below grade so when you enter you are looking down and to me it was a really cool effect. I might give Hamilton College an honorable mention decent 2000 seat facility but the football team dresses up in costumes (ie: a big yellow banana, SpongeBob SquarePants etc) and stands along one baseline and harrasses the other team for the whole game.  It was really quite entertaining.

gottaluvhoops

Hope has an amazing place.  The basketball facility is really neat.  I haven't seen Wartburg's yet, even though I live in Southern Minnesota.  Here is a link though.

www.the-w.org

NYBB

wow...SUNY Buffalo's arena is SICK!

sac

smedindy

I think the best facility should be judged on the quality of its condiments...

;) :D :P :P