MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HoopGuru

Gabriel - Thx for confirming that shot by JHU at the end of OT.  I was watching the game online and the pull-up looked 100% inside the arc, but the way the video was, you couldn't see the players feet.  Amazing all 3 refs could miss that because it appeared just from where he started his move that he was well inside the 3 pt. line and not just a shot where his toe was on the line.  That would have been easier to understand the call being missed.  The other call that looked questionable that came late in the game was a traveling call on Janicot.  He made what looked online as a great post move inside where he kept his pivot foot down and I believe made the lay-up. Again, a travel was called on it but didn't look like one, and i think this would have put UC up 3 with about 2:30 left in the game.  Instead, JHU got ball, went down and scored to go up 1.  Didn't cost them the game, but it was a big possession late that didn't help their cause.  Was hoping UC could get them after the close one at home in early January but didn't happen.  I'll take those 2 losses though if it means a win in playoffs if the 2 teams meet, but they definitely match-up well against each other

"Separation is in the preparation"

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: HoopGuru on January 30, 2017, 09:38:49 AM
Gabriel - Thx for confirming that shot by JHU at the end of OT.  I was watching the game online and the pull-up looked 100% inside the arc, but the way the video was, you couldn't see the players feet.  Amazing all 3 refs could miss that because it appeared just from where he started his move that he was well inside the 3 pt. line and not just a shot where his toe was on the line.  That would have been easier to understand the call being missed.  The other call that looked questionable that came late in the game was a traveling call on Janicot.  He made what looked online as a great post move inside where he kept his pivot foot down and I believe made the lay-up. Again, a travel was called on it but didn't look like one, and i think this would have put UC up 3 with about 2:30 left in the game.  Instead, JHU got ball, went down and scored to go up 1.  Didn't cost them the game, but it was a big possession late that didn't help their cause.  Was hoping UC could get them after the close one at home in early January but didn't happen.  I'll take those 2 losses though if it means a win in playoffs if the 2 teams meet, but they definitely match-up well against each other

I was at Hopkins today... and I don't think they would mind me saying even they were in disbelief on the play. Furthermore, they said they checked with the official multiple times and he was convinced it was a three. Not surprised the other two didn't see it... they tend to me looking elsewhere or have no angle. They are going to trust the guy closest unless they absolutely saw it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Hoopdog14

Swarthmore made short work of the Mules at the Barn beating them by 20.  Game was decided early as McClary keeps hoping the zone will stop a well coached team.  The guards were aggressively guarding Swat 5-7 beyond the 3 line while the middle was open for business.  Swat could have posted up a school bus in the middle  Bourne went 7 for 7 in the paint as part of Swat's 22 points in the paint in the first half.  Bourne finished the half with 15 points and Wiley chipped in with 11 for the half.

McClary also keeps trying to get Maserati performance  from his Ford Pinto offense.While Bourne and Wiley shot the lights out the Mules just shot.  LaRose, Schreer and Rindock went 2-14 in the first half and finished 5 of 29. Rindock finished with more TO (5)  than points (3).

Overall Swat shot 46% overall and 37% from 3s while the Mules,at home shot 27% overall and 19% from 3.  Werheim for the Mules was 4 of 5 to finish with 11. Wiley finished with 22, Bourne 17 and Yonda 13.  Wiley and Yonda were 7 of 13 from beyond the arc.

Swarthmore remains at the top of CC while the Mules may have locked up an early close to their season.

After earlier discussions about the men in stripes I paid pretty close attention and the refs seemed to be very even handed.  Of course that may be easier when the game is somewhat lopsided

Swat Fan #1

Hoopdog, your analysis was spot on. That zone was maybe the worst I have ever seen. Swat bigs were getting layups out of it will little resistance. I was confused why they didn't change up the zone. There are many things you can do to stop bigs in a zone and it didn't change the whole game. It was actually frustrating to watch and I was wondering why not try something different - trap when ball goes inside, play behind the bigs, put middle lower in the paint, basically anything. I thought it was going to be a 40 point game half way through. Landry played a ton of guys which was good. There were just too many holes in that zone.  Cheers!

MACsouthwest

Hoopdog-   Good analysis, but the game was at Swarthmore, not at the Barn or at Muhlenberg.  i can see how watching the game you could make that oversight.   The two gyms are very similar in appearance.     ;D ;D

Gabriel

Good game in Collegeville last night.  Both UC and F&M displayed offensive fire power---shooting the ball extremely well.  Frederici (22 points)and Knowles (28 points) showed why they are among the top players in the CC.  Both teams played aggressive man defenses but with some holes as indicated by the 94-82 score.  Even though the Bears led by as much as 19 in the second half, it seemed to be a much closer game. In my view, Ursinus has played very well against F&M in both games this season.  Looks like a fight to the finish. Go Bears!

Hoopdog14

Swat#1 2 simple reasons as to why there was no adjustments.  First for the same reason they switched to all zone; to hide a couple of lazy defenders. Going from man to zone rested on the premise no team could hit from the post and the hope they would go cold on 3s.  Second reason is lack of basketball IQ on the coaching staff and no disciplined fundamentals.  Close outs slow and getting caught out of position make it easy for a team that can pass.

MACsouthwest.  I stand corrected the empty seats confused me. I'm surprised they don't draw more Besides Swat beat them by 32 in the Barn in early December

Reserved Seat

With Hunter unable to play after an injury in the first half and Federici hampered by cramps, Ursinus soundly defeated F&M.  Also, weak post play keep the Dips from mounting any sort of comeback.  Numerous turnovers at key points lead to F&M not even getting a shot on many possessions.  Ursinus shot lights out, almost shooting better from three(12/24) than F&M did from the line(12/22).  Despite the lopsided fouls calls in the second half(10/3) at one point, it didn't matter with the way Ursinus was shooting.  During the final 5 minutes, it seemed liked the Bears knew they could foul, and it wouldn't cost them.  The Bears took full advantage of their height, controlling the boards; and Knowles drove the basketball easily for many of his points.  If Hunter is unable to start on Saturday, F&M could have 4 new starters in the lineup since the beginning of the season.

HoopGuru

Good win for UC Wednesday night.  Was able to watch most of the game and UC definitely shot the ball very well.  Almost similar to the first game @ F&M where they also shot extremely well and put up over 100 pts.  Not sure when the last year was that UC swept the regular season from F&M.  Might have to go back to UC's final four year in 07-08 for that.  I think there is a good chance UC can finish out going 4-1.  Saturday with Washington should not be close as Coach Small does a really good job of playing up Alumni games and usually gets a really good effort from his guys.  Next Wednesday at Swat will be tough. Those games are always tricky at that gym. Then finish next 2 of 3 at home.  Still a lot to be decided leading up to the playoffs, but I would like to see a 5 team playoff with Swat, JHU, UC, Dickinson and F&M.  Think that would be a very competitive, fun to watch playoff that any of the 5 teams could get hot and win.
"Separation is in the preparation"

CentCraze88

Hello everyone, sorry I've been gone for a few days.  Wife came down with a nasty case of bronchitis but she is now on the mend.  Haven't been keeping up with the Centennial as much, just went on today to check some recent scores.

Looks like the Mules had a tough one against Swat this week.  Seems like you guys have identified some of the underlying problems with the Mules.  Never understood why they are playing this zone.  Guess they don't have the personnel to play man-to-man. Also, if you're gonna shoot 15-55 from the field, you might as well just take half court shots the entire time because my god is that some absolutely abysmal basketball.  They are basically the anti-Warriors... paltry assist numbers at all times and couldn't hit the ocean if they were standing on the beach.  (Side note - was comparing team's websites this morning in terms of layout and available information, turns out it is Mules senior G/F Brandon LaRose's birthday! Hopefully for his birthday the Mules can secure him a win against the Diplomats tomorrow!

My oh my, wouldn't a F&M vs Dickinson 4/5 game be absolutely thrilling?  Might have to make a trip out to the Dip Zone for that one if the standings hold. 

Now that I'm back following the action, looking forward to a slate of games tomorrow in the Cent.  Mules and McDaniel both hosting strong teams in must win situations in order to keep their playoff hopes alive.  Plus, always a big fan of the Super Bowl - beer, wings, funny commercials, and hopefully the Patriots being eviscerated by my favorite NFL player, Tevin Coleman. (Go Hoosiers!)

Hoopdog14

CentCraze88 Hope you wife is well.  It is a nasty year for sinus problems!

The theory behind Mules zone is too hide some really poor defenders but have them for their offense.  Epic failure on both parts.  Over the past several seasons the Mules had at least one player who received lots of opponents attention.  This year they have none. Over the 7 seasons McClary has had All Region players all conference players and idespite them his record has gotten worse each year.  Even when the schedule includes non-conference cupcake teams.

The CC as least to me is as evenly balanced (kind way to say weaker) and they are struggling.  But I agree an F&M/Dickinson playoff game would be a dog fight

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Saw Swarthmore this weekend at McDaniel... despite the fact the game went to overtime, I was very impressed with the Garnet. I feel McDaniel played up to Swarthmore and played one of their better games. I ended up voting for the Garnet in the Top 25 this week after what I saw. They have a lot of good players, move the ball incredibly well, can adjust and change defenses seemlessly, and if they start shooting can't be stopped. I may have underestimated the Garnet all season.

That said, I wish their inside game was a bit more aggressive. McDaniel's Yrizarry had four fouls for about the last 10 to 15 minutes (including overtime) and they never attacked him on defense. They would get the ball inside and whomever had it would then take their time, let Yrizarry gain the best position and let me him get comfortable before either making a poor choice or passing it back outside. Yrizarry played very well to not pick up his fifth... but he also didn't have that much of a challenge. Swarthmore needs to get a bit more aggressive inside if they want a deep run in the NCAA tournament (should they make it).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 06, 2017, 04:52:50 PM
Saw Swarthmore this weekend at McDaniel... despite the fact the game went to overtime, I was very impressed with the Garnet. I feel McDaniel played up to Swarthmore and played one of their better games. I ended up voting for the Garnet in the Top 25 this week after what I saw. They have a lot of good players, move the ball incredibly well, can adjust and change defenses seemlessly, and if they start shooting can't be stopped. I may have underestimated the Garnet all season.

That said, I wish their inside game was a bit more aggressive. McDaniel's Yrizarry had four fouls for about the last 10 to 15 minutes (including overtime) and they never attacked him on defense. They would get the ball inside and whomever had it would then take their time, let Yrizarry gain the best position and let me him get comfortable before either making a poor choice or passing it back outside. Yrizarry played very well to not pick up his fifth... but he also didn't have that much of a challenge. Swarthmore needs to get a bit more aggressive inside if they want a deep run in the NCAA tournament (should they make it).

It's funny that you and I have no switched places.  I had Swarthmore highly ranked in the pre-season, but have been a little put off by their inconsistency.  I'm quite leery of voting for them at this point.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Polly Math

I was all set to nominate Hopkins as my favorite to host this year when they went to Dickinson and blew a ten point lead in the second half on Saturday.  Barring a major collapse it looks like the playoff teams are set, although the order of finish and who hosts is totally up for grabs.  We will find out more about Swat in the next week as they host Ursinus and Hopkins.  Both teams have the size to compete down low and can shoot.  On a good day, Ursinus can really shoot.  The top 4 teams (Swat, Ursinus, Hopkins, F&M) all look very similar: good not great post players, good team rebounding, 2 or even 3 outside shooters, well-drilled at both ends of the floor.  Not much star quality, but  "sound."   Dickinson is the joker in the pack, as they rely on ball hawking for steals and fast break transition to score.  But the top teams in the conference (except apparently Hopkins) can pass and handle well enough to cope. 

Reserved Seat

Not sure if F&M fits Polly Math's observation.  F&M struggles in the post and gets out-rebounded in many games.