MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

centfan

Muhlenberg...looks like they are on the rise. The Centennial is shaping up to get stronger with  coaching changes, their recruitment connections, fresh head coaches and winning histories. Next year, and years to come, will be exciting.

HopkinsNest7

Centennial Injury Report:

Federici - Franklin and Marshall --- spent most of the summer battling a banged up wrist, word out of lancaster is he has had trouble shooting the ball but has subsequently developed a left hand making him nearly ambidextrous.

Duffy - Gettysburg --- suffering from turf toe sustained late last year, could effect press break and mobility in the future.

Shelton - Washington --- Concussion like symptoms have kept him out of the classroom for the last few weeks. Slowly working through protocol, should be back for start of season.

Gardner - Hopkins --- Sustained a sprained ankle in an intramural game but heard it wasnt too serious, looks like the post nelson is off to a tough start. I guess with JVG truly out of the picture a ew coach must be hired soon to restore order in the nest.

I plan on making this a weekly tuesday column. Thanks.
Ive always preferred basketball in it's third division.

TeamMonix

Muhlenberg on the rise? Did you take time to watch the interview as they introduced him as head coach? The coach couldn't even remember the name of his best player. Also did you notice how not one returning player was there?! Muhlenberg College might be on the rise for the amount of money they are saving by hiring a guy like this!

CentCraze88

Monix, who would you have liked to see them hire? Sometimes its hard to find a good coach, but Hopkins certainly has credentials.  Everybody love everybody.  At least until they give you a reason not to.  Gotta give him the benefit of the doubt. Certainly could be trading McClary for Hopkins could be like a "washing machine", scrubbing some of the mistakes McClary made but still maintaining the solid foundation McClary created in his time with the Mules.

TeamMonix

I would like them to hire someone who has head coaching experience

Hank Mardukas

Monix:

I assume you are either an alum of Muhlenberg or a fan of the program and I understand the dissatisfaction you have towards the basketball program considering the last couple of seasons the Mules had. I can also see from your previous posts that you are not a fan of the AD, and I know how frustrating it can be watching your team struggle and then having them hire somebody you don't think is best for the job. My argument to you is this, every assistant needs an AD to believe in them and give them the opportunity to have their first head coaching job. I can see you are not pleased with the interview that Hopkins had and the miss pronunciation of a player's name. What I am trying to understand is are you actually upset with the hire of Hopkins or the firing of McClary. From what I understand the firing of McClary was shocking to many people in Allentown and all across the Cent. What are your thoughts on the AD's move to let him go/ do you know if there were any internal problems in the program?
And on the eighth day, God created the Centennial Conference

centfan

Monix
Hopkins was a winner, (an NCAA National Champion), as both a player and as an assistant coach. I would think he learned a ton at Amherst about what it takes to win and lead as an assistant under Hixon for 5 years. He comes from one of the top D3 basketball programs in the country and from a stronger conference (NESCAC) than the Centennial. We shall see. You may be surprised in a couple of years. The jury is out...

HopkinsNest7

Jule Brown has announced he will attend NYU next year

Corporal Hicks

Greetings soldiers....  FYI I have been a long time fan of the "Cent".  I try to check out as many games as possible, but also love to stay up to date on the latest gossip in the league by reading this blog which was brought to my attention a few years back by my friend, Gerry.  Gerry, if you are reading this... Shout out to Gerry!  My main reason for deciding to become a "Cent" blogger is the complete lack of common sense on the recent threads.  As you all know there was more turnover in the league this year than we typically would see which leads me to my first topic.  Excuse my French, but there is NO WAY IN HECK that us fellow "Cent" spectators will ever see Jeff Van Gundy roaming the sidelines for my old pal, Johnny Hopkins.  You have a better chance of seeing one of my personal favorite entertainers, Elvis.  That being said, I have a few candidates in mind in which I could picture seeing roaming the sidelines in Baltimore, MD.  Starting at the NBA experience level first: Mike Woodson (from inside source) you may be doubting me now, but come the fall when this potentially happens I will be the only one laughing.  D1 Level potential candidates: George Halcovage current DOBO at Villanova.  D2 level: Nobody... not qualified enough for prestigious Hopkins.  D3 level: Only things I have heard from multiple sources is that Brendan Mcshea current Swarthmore assistant.  News on B Mcshea is that he is looking for an opportunity to move up in the ranks and who better than somebody who has learned for a few seasons under Landry aka "Cent Stevens" (reference to Brad Stevens of the Boston Celtics).

Well, thats all for my first post on the "World Wide Web"

Corporal Out. 

HopkinsNest7

I am being proposterously mocked for my JVG prediction. It was a simple formula.. Nelson nurtured JVG into this wonderful world of basketball and it is only right for him to carry the torch that Nelson has so courageously carried at Hoppyx

Woodson is about as realistic as Hoopdog responding to this blog now that the Scott McClary regime has ended in Allentown. We all saw the demise of the New York Knicks and his inability to understand Zack Randolph and Eddy Curru can't play together. The Cent is evolving and a coach with too much pride in beefing up his front court will never succeed with the positionless centennial.

Could easily see GRob doing a victory lap in the Nest before all is said and done but who knows I may be delusional.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: HopkinsNest7 on April 24, 2017, 09:58:29 PM

I'm not sure its really official until he puts in on twitter, though.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on April 25, 2017, 05:48:28 AM
Quote from: HopkinsNest7 on April 24, 2017, 09:58:29 PM

I'm not sure its really official until he puts in on twitter, though.

Man,  It seems like just yesterday the kids were using MySpace to announce this type of news.  Just a way of the past now.......

Corp.  Out.

HopkinsNest7

Time for the weekly centennial injury update:

Michael Gardner: Not sure what witchcraft is being used in the Hopkins training room but Gardy looked great in open gym yesterday, all healed.

Update:

Robbie Walsh: hearing that the big man suffered a sprained finger from an entry pass last week. Seems that he jammed his middle finger on an errant entry pass in a non contact drill. Shouldn't be long term.

Corporal Hicks

Hooah!  Corporal Hicks here.  Today I decided to start a new theme on this thread.  Ive been analyzing some historic NBA rosters and I think I would like to compare each "Cent" team to a historic team in the "Association. 

First Roster: The Red Devils out of Carlisle, Dickinson

NBA comparison: 1988-1989 Chicago Bulls

Mike Hinckley-John Paxson- Solid point to run your offense and tempo but still knows his role and lets the skilled wings make big plays in late time moments

Elijah Wright- Michael Jordan- Young but very talented 2 guard.  Has a ton of potential to star in the league if he can overcome some of the things standing in his way.....(Detroit Pistons)

Jule Brown*- Scottie Pippen-  Young but also very talented player.  With the likes of Jordan(Wright) they can conquer the big dogs. .....as for his future we will see where he stands @HopkinsNest7

Moses Romocki- Horace Grant- solid power forward for you not going to wow you by his play but he can get the job done.  Acts as the enforcer for the team

Justus Melton- Bill Cartwright- Good center relative to the league.  Will guard rim decently and rebound for you.  Not a liability for you on offense.

Team has a good deal of talent and potential if they can put it all together they can play with the best of the league and continue to contend for championships.

Corp. Out.

Corporal Hicks

Corp. Back at it again.  I would like to make my second comparison of a "Cent" team to an NBA roster.  I would also like to extend the offer to the rest of you fellow bloggers that if you believe my comparison is off in any way then to make one of your own. 

Team:  Dips out of Lancaster PA.

NBA comparison: 1990- 1991 Golden State Warriors

Matthew Tate- Tim Hardaway-  Good point guard who can score it, but is also willing to get in there and mix it up defensively.  Physical guard who can pressure full court and make his matchup uncomfortable.

Brandon Federici- Chris Mullin-  Fantastic talent and a really good scorer.  Obviously not a lefty but the high volume scoring and elite shooting fits for Federici.  Not to mention the volume of steals that Federici had nearly mirrors the 2.1 that Mullin had in the 90-91 season.  Underrated defensively and I believe @CentCraze88 was right when he named Brandon DPOY. 

Hunter Eggers-Mitch Richmond-  Another talented shooting/scoring wing who thrives in a run and gun style game where a high volume of shots are being hoisted.  Solid defensively and sneaky athletic.  Always got to remember where you came from right?  Well Hunter is a transfer from D1 Rice.  Surprised the F&M program didn't make the jump to the Big Ten when Hunter transferred similarly to what will happen when John Hopkins lands JVG @HopkinsNest7.......

Ignas Slyka- Tom Tolbert-  Not a household name by any means but sure can hold his own.  Streaky 3 point shooter and willing to mix it up on the boards. Knows the engine of the team is the 3 guards and does a good job of playing role.

Lionel Owona- Alton Lister- Post player.  Not a guy you are going to run an offense through but he is a big body who will get enough rebounds and will defend enough for the team to be successful. 

Dips are run by their 1 through 3.  Tate, Federici, and Eggers carry a workload offensively similarly to the Warriors RUN T.M.C (Hardaway, Mullin, Richmond).  A nice little retro hip hop reference never hurt anybody right?  With the 3 guards running the show they can get up and down fast and score a lot of points in the Dip Zone. 

Corp. Out.