MBB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by joe smith, February 11, 2005, 03:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big_daddy

Joe,

The traditional slow to update websites (Bethany, Thiel & Waynesburg) are at it again......but from the looks of it, the rest of the play-off eligible league have their rosters posted for the 05-06 season. Could it be that the Titans look to go back to a more traditional tempo with 7 players listed at 6-4" or better to match the Bison's strength? Grove city lists 5 players 6-4" or better with W&J having only 3 players at that height or better. Thomas More, the new team on the block that I think is eligible this year has 8 players.

joe smith

big_daddy

I know Bethany got a huge recruiting class and have a roster of about 30 players right now so they have to weed out everyone before a roster is put up.  Most of the recruits are solid guards without much height.  But I guess not many players want to go to Bethany that are over 6'4 until the twins are gone due to zip playing they'll recieve.  I know that they'll have a JV team there for the first time in awhile. 

In other news Bethany is picked to win the conference which is a no-brainer.  Looks like everyone else is just playing for 2nd.  HAHA  Well at least that quote is from a biases Bethany alumni.   

big_daddy

Guess we should just cancel the season and give the Bison "THE" bid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have a jv team, I think that's an outstanding accomplishment for the team and program/school. One of my pet peeves with D3 and the PAC in particular has been the lack of jv teams to develope a true basketball program.

Pre-Season question for ya......What's 90 foot long and has 5 teeth? (Answer) Front row at a Bethany home game!!!!!!!!!

joe smith

hahaha!!!  Good one.  I'm sure everyone from Bethany has heard that one a million times.  Anyway, I was shocked that Bethany didn't get any votes, not even one, for the top 25.  I'm sure their schedule last year had something to do with it but a team that went 24-4 and returns basically everyone should get some kind of consideration. 

We should just give them "The" bid.  Hopefully someone else emerges as a contender in this conference.  Not much consistency from any schools in this conference.

big_daddy

I was also surprised they got no love from the pre-season pollsters.

joe smith

Any updates on scrimmages coming up or anything.  The season is less then a month away and not much noise.  Then again there really never is in this posting board.  I know Bethany returns everyone from last years PAC championship team with the exception of 2 players that quit in the off-season.  They lost both Brandon Duncan who averaged 10.2 and shot 46% from 3-point range and was fourth on the team scoring, and Jim Deep who averaged 11.0 and shot 45% from 3 (3rd in scoring).  With those 2 losses they still have a lot of depth with the addition of a kid that transfered from West Liberty and a solid recruit that I believe played in JC last year along with last years core.  As long as the twins stay healthy they shouldn't have much trouble with the conference.

joe smith

Here's a question for Pat Coleman if he ever visits this site being it so overwhelmed with posts.  I read in Bethany's preview that the Drahos twins were both picked d3hoops preseason honorable mention all-americans.  If this is true, how can you have 2 preseason all-americans, a team that went 24-4 (and i know their schedule was suspect), and earned a ncaa berth who returns all but 2 players from last years team and not give them any points for the top 25 or even the top 35?

I know that any team with 2 all-americans should get some consideration to be a top team in the nation.  In other news I've heard that Bethany played decent against d2 Glenville State, in fact they beat them.  Both twins scored over 20 and played tough. 

big_daddy

Hey Joe,

Do you have a new job and is your bosses name Rob? ;D//

joe smith

Nah, you're thinking of the kid named after a state.  I did play with him and was better hahaha.  By the way, they're both doing well.

joe smith

No one will read this but i'll post it anyway.  Bethany crushes Adrian College tonight 83-54 lead by Matt and Mike Drahos who scored 25 and 17 respectively.

big_daddy

Hey Joe,

How can you guys lose to a team that was 7-20 last year? No wonder you got no love in the preseason polls. At least the Titans lost to a team that was 22-9 last year. PAC might be weaker than ever.

ScotsFan

Quote from: joe smith on November 08, 2005, 10:50:57 AM
...how can you have 2 preseason all-americans, a team that went 24-4 (and i know their schedule was suspect), and earned a ncaa berth who returns all but 2 players from last years team and not give them any points for the top 25 or even the top 35? 
Joe, after Bethany's performance on Friday night I was beginning to wonder that same question myself.  But then came losing at Case.  That's not going to sit too favorably in the eyes of the voters.
Did Case have a big height advantage over you guys or something?  I saw the rebounding disparity in the write-up (59-22).  Its a wonder Bethany still had a chance to win.

BTW joe, I keep up with things in here as I'm a Westminster alum.  I'm a Wooster native which is why I follow the Scots so closely.  But I still like to keep an eye on the happenings of the  Titans and the rest of the PAC.

Quote from: big_daddy on November 20, 2005, 09:25:59 AM
PAC might be weaker than ever.
big daddy, you may be right.  W&J lost to Allegheny last night, which was somewhat of a surprise, given the fact that W&J had a lot coming back this season.  The Gators were picked to finish 7th in the NCAC in the preseason polls.   I was really surprised to see that result.  'Gheny also got by the Grove on Friday night making it a PAC sweep for the Gators on the weekend.   Also Kenyon got over on Thiel last night adding further truth to your statement of the PAC maybe being weaker than ever.

pupfan

Quote from: big_daddy on November 20, 2005, 09:25:59 AM
Hey Joe,

How can you guys lose to a team that was 7-20 last year? No wonder you got no love in the preseason polls. At least the Titans lost to a team that was 22-9 last year. PAC might be weaker than ever.

Actually, Case finished 5-20 a year ago...

big_daddy

It's early and it's only after everyone has played 2 games but our league record is 3-11! Ouch!

joe smith

I agree the PAC is extremely weak this year with maybe the exception of Bethany and maybe Westminster.  Bethany's Drahos twins were both in foul trouble all game against Case and only played about 20 minutes apiece.  Case was also really big having almost their whole starting line-up over 6'2.  Bethany was up the whole game by 10 and blew it in the last few minutes due to bad foul shooting . I agree bad loss for the Bison.  They'll respond!!